Redbird Football Lands WR Notre Dame Transfer

Adunk33

Micah Jones out of Warren Township in Gurnee is a 6'4, 220lb WR that will join the team in the Fall. He may have 1 or 2 years to play (COVID grants everyone another year) so we'll see if he opts to take it. He played in just a total of five games in his three seasons at Notre Dame and didn't appear to collect any stats.

His size and experience will be welcome to a pretty young receiving room. Coming out of high school, he was a 4-star recruit, a top 70 receiver, nationally and top 5 in the state. His senior season, he caught 53 passes for 824 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Redbirdwarrior

Huge get. 6'4 220 is an extremely uncommon size for WR at this level. If he can run a route and catch, he will give an instant upgrade to the passing and, with size like that I assume he can block, the offense as a whole.

Dmills

Not sure if the 3 years was a misprint. He redshirted one year (graduated at ND). So he should have 2 years left and an extra year because of COVID. Considering he graduated after 3 years, my bet is on him playing 2 years. Huge pick up, not the type of receiver we are used to. Our wide receiver group will be deep in the fall. Will also be helpful to have after the short offseason.

JHBird

Maybe he can bring along a QB transfer as well;)

What's sad is schools like Notre Dame have stables of QB's with a lot them never playing much. Give me their worst QB and I'd be happy.

Dmills

I assumed that screenshot of him on the ND site was height and then weight. I'm probably wrong.
Oh gotcha, overlooked that. But yes, that is from his high school recruiting profile as far as I know

MadBird

Total Red

Staff member
When scanning the transfer portal I like to look for players that played HS football in Illinois but then went out of state for college. HS kids often want to get away but the home state schools look better on the rebound. Micah Jones didn't travel far - from Gurnee, IL to South Bend, IN, but still he's coming back to Illinois to join the Redbirds. At the QB position in the transfer portal is a player departing Duke named Chris Katrenick. Katrenick is from Algonquin, IL. Gurnee and Algonquin are both nothern suburbs. Katrenick has a very interesting re-tweet from last summer. Katrenick re-tweeted none other than Micah Jones. And if I'm not mistaken they are shown in this picture literally arm over shoulder with each other. I believe Katrenick is 5th from the right in the blue Duke t-shirt. Jones fourth from the right in the turquoise pants (bold wardrobe choice). So Katrenick and Jones may not be best friends but they do know each other. C'mon guys - how 'bout a game of catch in Normal?

Last edited:

fourthandshort

What's sad is schools like Notre Dame have stables of QB's with a lot them never playing much. Give me their worst QB and I'd be happy.
eh ... QB is a very fickle position. Need to be careful .. grass isn't always greener, certainly not because they are sitting low on a 4 to 6 deep at some big time FBS program. Many programs struggle with QB/passing game consistency, so we're not alone. Note, UNI has same issues we have .. and they also put it on their head coach, since he is the common denominator through all the years. But we do seem to struggle much more than average, especially for a top 10 level program.

amgis1987

Micah is 6’5/220 lbs and runs in the mid 4.5’s.

Micah Jones Jan 2021 workout during 3-week break.

Micah Jones Varsity HUDL Film. Consensus 4 Star Athlete.

JHBird

eh ... QB is a very fickle position. Need to be careful .. grass isn't always greener, certainly not because they are sitting low on a 4 to 6 deep at some big time FBS program. Many programs struggle with QB/passing game consistency, so we're not alone. Note, UNI has same issues we have .. and they also put it on their head coach, since he is the common denominator through all the years. But we do seem to struggle much more than average, especially for a top 10 level program.
If Jefferson struggles this year I'd bet we see a quality transfer come here; you know, they'll probably think they can be the next Tre. I always wondered what that transfer portal was like. I didn't know who even could have access to it. Can a school put out a want add? Like monster.com -- "looking for experienced QB that was rated 4-star and likes to run the ball and not carry it like a loaf of bread, etc."

Top Bottom