President Search

MadBird

They had a similarly messed up search at U of Wisconsin a year or so ago, very private search, no announced finalists. Search committee included no faculty or students! In fact, the search committee forwarded only one name to the Board of Regents, from the University of Alaska. Went over like a lead balloon. Guy ended up pulling out due to the big heat. And weeks later resigned from Alaska job because of financial problems or some such. They're now in the middle of a "proper" search.

Bird Friend

Staff member
A 32-member search committee is a bit excessive, imo. Too many wannabe-chefs. But I'm sure every area of the university wants input. Completely closing the process is also a poor choice, but I'm sure they're wanting to avoid having the search become a pageant. Was the search that resulted on Flanagan more open? Honestly, I can't remember.

Birdswin

I just listened to the segment. What an embarrassment that Grad Student was. Very disrespectful, use of profanity in a professional meeting, poor grammar, poor understanding of the situation, and most of his rant was off-topic. Any future employer of that person, were to listen to that presentation - who would hire that person for any type of professional position?? It would be an embarrassment for that person to get an degree from ISU. In addition, he apparently is clueless that the U. S. is a REPUBLIC - it is NOT a Democracy, although the national media wants so desperately to turn it into one.

While I am not a proponent of using a search firm, the Board of Trustees has the responsibility of hiring the new President. I am in complete agreement, the search should be kept confidential, especially if you want to get a highly qualified person. A 32-person committee to perform one task - hiring one person - would be very cumbersome and ineffective.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry I disagree. It's one thing to keep the initial pool private, but this person is going to be the face of a public university. At minimum, the finalists should be known and come to campus for a forum or something.

topiarydan

I know when Wallace, Strand, Boschini, Bowman, etc all were hired there was a formal process and finalist candidates were known to the pubilc

gobirds85

I agree that once the field is reduced to 5-6 candidates an opportunity should be made by the committee to allow these candidates on campus for an open forum. A committee of this size seems incredibly cumbersome but I have faith in the process and expect they will be able to bring forth a solid group of candidates.

Bdub777

The finalists should have to face the public. This is a very bad precedent that I don’t recall in any prior search in recent memory,. Strand and Dietz, were special situations where there was no search, and both were known commodities. Most recently the Provost position had a bunch of Q&A sessions with the finalists.

I didn’t hear the grad student, but if he used profanity and was disrespectful, that’s not cool either. His agenda is clearly more than the process for selecting the next President...

Bird Friend

Staff member
I would be stunned if our next prez isn't already on staff at ISU.

topiarydan

If he is a finalist then yes LJ is a great choice - widely known - widely liked. As long as some of the Finance staff stay in place then I think LJ would be a HUGE statement

cicada_jimmy01

I know there have been interviews this week. I would be surprised if its not not LJ as well. I know bird friend has soome good sources

Bird Friend

Staff member
I know there have been interviews this week. I would be surprised if its not not LJ as well. I know bird friend has soome good sources
LJ is, imo, the best option . . . but as to inside source on whether that's the direction the selection committee . . . crickets.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Seems that way. Especially with "$20,000 for moving expenses."
Still costs $ to move from one house to another. Plus, $20k doesn't seem terribly high to move an entire household. Not saying it'll be LJ, but 'moving expenses' doesn't lock him out either. I will be disappointed if it's not LJ, but the university will do what it'll do, right or wrong.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Can confirm, it's not LJ. Only know for sure that at least 1 of the final 2 is female. That is truly all I know.

Top Bottom