Pre-Season MVC Projections

DoubleDeuce

I bought "THE ALMANAC" and posted their conference predictions below. It's a collaborative publication put together by the guys at The Field of 68, Heat Check CBB, Three Man Weave, and Verbal Commits. Very thorough and fair. Regarding ISU it says Pedon was a great hire but to expect growing pains in year one and maybe back to winning next year.

1. Drake
2. Bradley
3. Southern Illinois
4. Missouri State
5. Belmont
6. Northern Iowa
7. Indiana State
8. Murray State
9. Valparaiso
0. Illinois State
11. UIC
12. Evansville

redbirdron1

We got an uphill battle ahead……Pedon is a leader and pushing the Most Commited Locker Room.
He/staff wanted a new backcourt to control the silly to’s and kept r existing bigs …….bigs who aren’t proven.
It’ll b a Great Season if they r competitive in MVC.
IMO, if they minimize the give away losses, value possessions and play hard nosed D - let’s take r chances at 10-10 in conference.

cubird

Yes, but he traded experienced guys with other experienced guys. And this will not be considered a young team. IF we don't finish ahead of ISUBlue then this will be another disappointing season.

Redbirdfan06

Yes, but he traded experienced guys with other experienced guys. And this will not be considered a young team. IF we don't finish ahead of ISUBlue then this will be another disappointing season.
Just curious. Why would this be a disappointing season if we do not finish ahead of Indiana state when we haven’t seen either team play a game yet?

cubird

IMO. If we don't finish ahead of the predicted ISU Blue finish... then we won't reach 500.

Birgs

I know many on here think I'm a Muller "rah-rah" guy which automatically makes me a Pedon hater. Can't be further than the truth. I bleed Red. Dan has moved on. The next regime will need time. This year is not going to be pretty. Probably quite ugly at times. I do have faith. The assistants seem a tad sketchy, but having the continuity of Jud is a plus. We'll see.

Last edited:

Manchester Matt

I know many on here think I'm a Muller "rah-rah" guy which automatically makes me a Pedon hater. Can't be further than the truth. I bleed Red. Dan has moved on. The next regime will need time. This year is not going to be pretty. Probably quite ugly at times. I do have faith. The assistants seem a tad sketchy, but having the continuity of Jud is a plus. We'll see.
Sketchy? Based on what. Why don't you ask the current players who returned to the program about sketchy? Just continue your schtick.

Last edited:

Redbirdfan06

Muller has moved on. But have you moved on from Muller? Sure doesn’t seem like it.

People think you are a Pedon hater because you have made some questionable posts about a coaching staff and team that hasn’t even played a game yet.

Bird Friend

I'm not going to say this is the best group of assistants we've ever had, but to call them sketchy is . . . weird.

Judson is probably one of the best longtime assistants out there. Offutt is an experienced assistant/recruiter from a solid MM program who seems to have a good eye for talent and has worked with Pedon in the past. Dakich is a new assistant, but comes with family pedigree and seems to be fully onboard and rambunctiously excited with Pedon's plan, and played under Pedon. Both grad assistants come from the Ohio State. And our "Chief of Staff" / DOBO is the son of a very successful high school coach.

Not sure where 'sketchy' fits in with this group.

ILLST25

We need the MVC to perform in the non-conference this year. If you remember last year, the whole valley laid an egg. As I look up and down the teams in the league, it looks like we could take a step forward as a league. Especially if we’re looking to be able to get at large bids and improve NET rankings, we’ve gotta see teams do well in November and December.

BTbird

I think Pedon put together a solid staff and i would bet we aren't the only one's that have growing pains with the transfer portal in full swing. I'll bet that Pedon and staff will be better at building relationships with the players and as a result we have less players in the transfer portal. That will be half the battle. Looking forward to the new era of ISU basketball!

P

Popsto4

I think Pedon put together a solid staff and i would bet we aren't the only one's that have growing pains with the transfer portal in full swing. I'll bet that Pedon and staff will be better at building relationships with the players and as a result we have less players in the transfer portal. That will be half the battle. Looking forward to the new era of ISU basketball!
I’m thinking the same thing. I also believe they will be better than most think. Every level of basketball depends on the backcourt more than any other spot to me. I’m not just saying this because Mal is there either. This team can flat out shoot the rock. Trust me it’s gonna be about can we hold teams to 50-70 pg? If we do then they will be much better than a .500 team. I can’t wait to see it.

redbirdron1

Hope you're correct about our shooting Pops. My 1st concern is with our toughness and lack of bangers in the Paint. If Pedon can demonstrate through this season that he can DEVELOP some of what we have on the Big front, it'll b something we haven't seen in years. Our current roster of Bigs is totally unproven so there's a ton of upside I guess we can hope.
I do believe we'll see less silly turnovers and less chucking from a lackluster offensive scheme - time will tell.

MadBird

Hope you're correct about our shooting Pops. My 1st concern is with our toughness and lack of bangers in the Paint. If Pedon can demonstrate through this season that he can DEVELOP some of what we have on the Big front, it'll b something we haven't seen in years. Our current roster of Bigs is totally unproven so there's a ton of upside I guess we can hope.
I do believe we'll see less silly turnovers and less chucking from a lackluster offensive scheme - time will tell.
Totally unproven? Who are you considering "bigs"?

Petrakis started every game for W.Carolina last year. Not Kansas or Duke, but was a starter and regular rotation player.
Schmitt and McChesney played in virtually every game for ISU last year. Neither was a star, but both played and both started now and then.
Is Kendall Lewis a big? Or are you counting him as a wing? He started every game last year. And had starting experience 2 years at App. State.
Is Seneca Knght a big? 8 starts in 27 games for BYU last year, started 50 games or so over 3 seasons at San Jose State.

I'm not sayin' we've got a bunch of All Americans there, but not "totally" unproven by any stretch, even if you're considering the "bigs" just Petrakis, Schmitt, McChesney and Andrews.

redbirdron1

Mad - kids who can play in the paint. Anyone from Sissoko to Schmitt. Guys who we rely on to come out game in game out
and give a consistent performance. If you think "our Bigs" have done that, ok cool but I'm not of that opinion just cause they played.
My gosh - talk about guys going invisible in games - we got those guys and players from game to game who played pretty darn well or
the next time they didn't show.
I do understand examples of Lewis/McCheese having nice athletic skill - I truly hope they DEVELOP into guys knowing their roles and
giving us a consistent/depend on guy performance.
Not trying to be a wise ass but the only proven thing is they're inconsistent. I do believe some possess skill which can be developed from
hopeful nurturing but we'll see.

Go Birds!

redbirdron1

Mad - kids who can play in the paint. Anyone from Sissoko to Schmitt. Guys who we rely on to come out game in game out
and give a consistent performance. If you think "our Bigs" have done that, ok cool but I'm not of that opinion just cause they played.
My gosh - talk about guys going invisible in games - we got those guys and players from game to game who played pretty darn well or
the next time they didn't show.
I do understand examples of Lewis/McCheese having nice athletic skill - I truly hope they DEVELOP into guys knowing their roles and
giving us a consistent/depend on guy performance.
Not trying to be a wise ass but the only proven thing is they're inconsistent. I do believe some possess skill which can be developed from
hopeful nurturing but we'll see.

Go Birds!

Top Bottom