Practice!

ISUBU

Pantagraph has a story about the first day of practice yesterday.

DL depth is an issue. We're pretty solid in the first three, but we'll have newcomers joining Jacob Powell in the 2nd string rotation that plays quite a bit.

Steven Podkulski is done with football due to injury. Shout out to him as he's losing his senior season. He's had a solid career here, and I wish him well going forward.

MadBird

Pantagraph has a story about the first day of practice yesterday.

DL depth is an issue. We're pretty solid in the first three, but we'll have newcomers joining Jacob Powell in the 2nd string rotation that plays quite a bit.

Steven Podkulski is done with football due to injury. Shout out to him as he's losing his senior season. He's had a solid career here, and I wish him well going forward.
Was nice to see the article, get a little update on where things are.

Gomez was mentioned as a factor on the DL, a walk-on (?) grad transfer from DII Winona State. God bless him, hope he can take advantage of his opportunity. Blake Fehrman also out for the spring, that could hurt too.

Damien Jackson mentioned at LB, he's new to me, don't remember him last year. Special teams mostly??

Also big news to me - true Freshman Jackson Waring at #2 QB, from "small school" Des Moines Christian. Baltz at #4.

Wonder how Proctor is doing in his rehab??

fourthandshort

I thought they announced Proctor would be 100% ... though that could have been a projection for spring camp 2 months from now.

fourthandshort

If true FR is our #2 ... yeesh. Not that Jeffersen will or wont develop, nor that true FR Waring won't develop at some point.

But this is our QB depth heading into this season and then next fall ? Spack really needs to work on our HS QB recruitment and development. This is very precarious position to be in. Hoping it pans out.

redbirdfan04

If true FR is our #2 ... yeesh. Not that Jeffersen will or wont develop, nor that true FR Waring won't develop at some point.

But this is our QB depth heading into this season and then next fall ? Spack really needs to work on our HS QB recruitment and development. This is very precarious position to be in. Hoping it pans out.
Or another way to think of it is the kid is a stud and becomes a three year starter for us. No QB controversys or wondering if we can develop the next kid for a few years.

Redbirdwarrior

We need to decide what our offensive identity is before we can create a recruiting plan for QBs. We have straddled this weird line between read option and pocket passing since Tre graduated. We need to decide if we expect the QB to run or not- just that simple. Once you have that answer, you build your playbook and recruiting targets around that.

I personally think that the Read Option is the ONLY way to go in college football anymore. Asking college QBs to sit in a pocket is just a recipe for disaster. If you have a guy that can throw a 15 yard pass and run a 4.5 40 and make guys miss, that guy will be an impact player.

MadBird

A big yes to HS QB recruitment and development, but this "offseason" might be the year to bring in a JC or FBS transfer. Even as just an experienced backup.

Waring's a coach's son, maybe he's ahead of the game??

With Iowa, ISU offers, D.M. Christian’s Jackson Waring continues recruiting rise (desmoinesregister.com)

ISUBU

We need to decide what our offensive identity is before we can create a recruiting plan for QBs. We have straddled this weird line between read option and pocket passing since Tre graduated. We need to decide if we expect the QB to run or not- just that simple. Once you have that answer, you build your playbook and recruiting targets around that.

I personally think that the Read Option is the ONLY way to go in college football anymore. Asking college QBs to sit in a pocket is just a recipe for disaster. If you have a guy that can throw a 15 yard pass and run a 4.5 40 and make guys miss, that guy will be an impact player.
The coaches have said that we want our QBs to run. But we have to have a backup ready to go and a QB who is healthy. That's why we've played it safe some seasons.

Redbirdwarrior

Then they need to stop targeting QBs that don't run. If you want to teach an athlete to throw, it is easier than teaching a thrower to run. If you can find a guy that runs a 4.4 and has a good arm beyond 20 yards, jump on him.

But me, I'd rather have a guy that will be able to run for 8 yards consistently than throw 30 yard bombs consistently.

Virginia Redbird

You made me think about it and I can not remotely tell you what the Redbird's offensive identity is, other than don't screw up the game for the defense. I like Coach Spack a lot but I don't think he has an offensive identity. I think if he could in this day and age he would be a Woody Hayes clone and run the ball with maybe 2 or 3 passes just to "keep them honest". There have been a number of changes in Offensive Coordinators and coaches since Tre left. I am guessing that has not had a positive impact. Tre had the whole package of running and passing. Kolbe was a pocket passer. Broadnax was a runner first and mediocre to bad at the passing game. Brady could throw and was more of a scrambler but inconsistent with both. Baltz it appears may have gone under after his one start against YSU. Jefferson can run and he threw some nice balls last year in the playoffs but it was really ALL James Robinson while Jefferson was playing last year. That is a wide variety of QBs and skillsets. Seems like a mish-mosh of skillsets at that position and revolving door of OCs. Probably not going to have a dynamic offense with that background.

ISUBU

Then they need to stop targeting QBs that don't run. If you want to teach an athlete to throw, it is easier than teaching a thrower to run. If you can find a guy that runs a 4.4 and has a good arm beyond 20 yards, jump on him.

But me, I'd rather have a guy that will be able to run for 8 yards consistently than throw 30 yard bombs consistently.
Not disagreeing with your general idea, but 4.4 and can throw? Rare.

Total Red

Staff member
We don't have a set offensive identity because it all depends on the personnel. We won (9-4) with a pocker passer (Matt Brown) back in 2012. We won more games (13-2) with a dual-threat QB (Tre Roberson) in 2014. It certainly helps to have a QB that can run but if Peoria HS had an outstanding Pro Style QB would we refuse to recruit him because he wasn't a good runner?? No. You get the best QB's you can find and then adjust the offense to fit the players.

Redbird15

it looks very open right now, don't count out Britton Morris as #2
well that means Jefferson would be moving to #3....don't expect to see Ware #2 if any thing he will move up... Hearing he has been on point. As well as Jefferson. Morris and Baltz on the curb........

Redbirdwarrior

We don't have a set offensive identity because it all depends on the personnel. We won (9-4) with a pocker passer (Matt Brown) back in 2012. We won more games (13-2) with a dual-threat QB (Tre Roberson) in 2014. It certainly helps to have a QB that can run but if Peoria HS had an outstanding Pro Style QB would we refuse to recruit him because he wasn't a good runner?? No. You get the best QB's you can find and then adjust the offense to fit the players.
I disagree with adjusting your offense to fit an 18 year old kid. It isn't just adjusting routes or working on shotgun vs under the center snaps. If you are going to have a focus on being a read option team, it changes how you recruit every non wide receiver on the offense. You prioritize speed over strength in your line, in your running backs, in your tight ends. You carry less blocking backs, you fundamentally change the way your team plays the game. I think we have been trying to adjust on the fly for years and that gray area has put ISU in a spot where they have amazing players just kinda doing whatever for the last 6 years or so.

If we didn't have James Robinson, a pro bowl level RB, getting 25 touches a game for the last 3 years and straight embarrassing defenders that weren't in his league, ISU would be in an extremely difficult spot right now. With him gone and no other true high NFL level players to build an offense around this year, I feel it is time to get away from building the playbook around the roster and start molding these kids to play the right playbook.

Just my 2 cents.

Total Red

Staff member
Take a look at the best college football programs like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and describe their offensive philosophy. All three of those programs, in fact most college football programs, would like to recruit a QB that runs and passes extremely well. But even the top programs can't always recruit a player like that. Those programs fluctuate in the amount of running and passing they do each season based on personnel.
This year Alabama had a QB that was a talented pocket passer with limited rushing ability. Alabama won the National Championship and they led all Power 5 football teams in scoring average at 48.5 points per game.

Redbirdwarrior

Take a look at the best college football programs like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and describe their offensive philosophy. All three of those programs, in fact most college football programs, would like to recruit a QB that runs and passes extremely well. But even the top programs can't always recruit a player like that. Those programs fluctuate in the amount of running and passing they do each season based on personnel.
This year Alabama had a QB that was a talented pocket passer with limited rushing ability. Alabama won the National Championship and they led all Power 5 football teams in scoring average at 48.5 points per game.

Comparing FCS football to programs like Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame might as well be comparing ISU Football to the Detroit Lions. It is a completely different concept.

The 4th best QB on Bama's roster would be the highest level recruit in the whole of FCS. Their backup offensive linemen at every position would be first team FCS All Americans across the board. Teams like that don't need a "gameplan", they have the talent across the board to make extremely minor adjustments and sit back on a team that will have 8-12 NFL players in their starting 22.

Teams at this level need to build 1 and 2 star players into giving 3 or even 4 star results by being put into a system that maximizes their abilities and hides their flaws. Bama players are all 4 and 5 star players that are going to play like 4 or 5 star players regardless of system.

I think we need to be more like Florida or Georgia Tech. "This is our playbook and we need our offensive players to fit this scheme". Florida isn't about to go get a Mike Glennon to play in that offense regardless of if he can drop it into a teacup from 50 yards. They are going to find a Cam Newton or a Tebow who are arguably more wheels than arms.

Total Red

Staff member
I think we need to be more like Florida or Georgia Tech. "This is our playbook and we need our offensive players to fit this scheme". Florida isn't about to go get a Mike Glennon to play in that offense regardless of if he can drop it into a teacup from 50 yards. They are going to find a Cam Newton or a Tebow who are arguably more wheels than arms.
??? You may want to check out what Florida QB Kyle Trask actually did this past season.

Top Bottom