Practice today

Total Red

Staff member
I went to practice this morning with most of my attn directed to the QB position. Zack Annexstad looks very accurate with a quick release. Zack looks a lot like WIU QB Connor Sampson. That's a compliment. I would have gladly traded for Sampson last season. Back in 2018, Zack completed 52% of his passes for Minnesota. I expect that to be higher here and now. Maybe not the 65% Sampson had for Western, but he should hit 60%. It looks like our offense will emphasize the short passing game with lots of tosses to RBs and TEs. We are deep and strong at those positions. WR is more of a concern. I'm not seeing a "go to" guy or a deep threat that strikes fear in opposing DBs. Maybe one will emerge or we could still bring in another transfer. If opponents start jumping shorter routes we need receivers that can burn them deep. We'll also need offensive linemen that provide protection for deeper passes. Right now Zambrano and Forystek are manning the OT positions. I expect them both to be challenged when Asche returns from injury and Pope arrives from Kentucky.
But again, Zack looks very legit. I wish we had another just like him. Forget the QB that throws across his body for a 45-yd gain on the dead run. Give me a QB that can throw shorter, simpler passes over and over. I think that's what we getting in Annexstad. He has the consistency we've been lacking. I don't know if we have a playoff team yet, but I'm feeling confident that the offense will be more interesting with more scoring and a lot more pass completions.

RedbirdFanatic32

If we have a normal Spack defense (that is, above average) and a Connor Sampson-esque QB, with a good OL and run game (which we usually do), I like our odds to go to the playoffs. Got me looking forward to Fall!

Virginia Redbird

The pieces are important but I am looking forward to the fall to see how the new O-Coordinator uses the pieces. The coaches need to put the players in positions to win. There are some good players on the offense. I anxiously await seeing how the players will be used in the new offensive scheme.

fourthandshort

I went to practice this morning with most of my attn directed to the QB position. Zack Annexstad looks very accurate with a quick release. Zack looks a lot like WIU QB Connor Sampson. That's a compliment. I would have gladly traded for Sampson last season. Back in 2018, Zack completed 52% of his passes for Minnesota. I expect that to be higher here and now. Maybe not the 65% Sampson had for Western, but he should hit 60%. It looks like our offense will emphasize the short passing game with lots of tosses to RBs and TEs. We are deep and strong at those positions. WR is more of a concern. I'm not seeing a "go to" guy or a deep threat that strikes fear in opposing DBs. Maybe one will emerge or we could still bring in another transfer. If opponents start jumping shorter routes we need receivers that can burn them deep. We'll also need offensive linemen that provide protection for deeper passes. Right now Zambrano and Forystek are manning the OT positions. I expect them both to be challenged when Asche returns from injury and Pope arrives from Kentucky.
But again, Zack looks very legit. I wish we had another just like him. Forget the QB that throws across his body for a 45-yd gain on the dead run. Give me a QB that can throw shorter, simpler passes over and over. I think that's what we getting in Annexstad. He has the consistency we've been lacking. I don't know if we have a playoff team yet, but I'm feeling confident that the offense will be more interesting with more scoring and a lot more pass completions.
need QBs that can mainly move chains and keep defenses honest against run game. It certainly helps if QB is mobile and/or can throw deep ball, but can't have everything. Even Tre had weakness in short-mid game, but he could run and throw a grat deep ball ... that kept defenses honest for Coprich. Which thinking about what Robinson accomplished at ISU, makes it even more impressive in that our pass game was certainly below average when he was tearing up FCS and MVFC .. very Walter Payton like before the super bowl team starting coming together.

But I digress ... again ... I'll take a QB that can move chains with short to intermediate pass game. We haven't had that since the 2016 version of Jake Kolbe.

fourthandshort

The pieces are important but I am looking forward to the fall to see how the new O-Coordinator uses the pieces. The coaches need to put the players in positions to win. There are some good players on the offense. I anxiously await seeing how the players will be used in the new offensive scheme.
loving the potential for this new OC and QB combo ... it could be a fun year on offense.

Though agree with TR .. this is the least proven/potent WR group in a while. On the other hand, given how feeble our pass game has been the last 4-5 years, how would we even know for sure about our WR group. If our new OC/QB tandem works, we may learn we have a couple WR studs just waiting for a real pass game to show up.

And i still like our RB group a lot .. Mueller, White, and Brown .. they are talented, and will only look better with real pass game to keep defenses honest.

I never worry about our defense .. for long. After losing almost all of our FBS level studs from that 2019 defense, the defense still more than held it's own .. until they ran out of gas each game from lack of offense. I was worried our defense would need half a season to come together with so many new starters .. I saw 2013 type defense. But not so .. they found themselves very quickly and looked dominant for good part of most games. This year should be even better.

OC-QB is the variable that will make or break this fall season ... and it looks pretty promising as of right now.

Last edited:

ISUBU

need QBs that can mainly move chains and keep defenses honest against run game. It certainly helps if QB is mobile and/or can throw deep ball, but can't have everything. Even Tre had weakness in short-mid game, but he could run and throw a grat deep ball ... that kept defenses honest for Coprich. Which thinking about what Robinson accomplished at ISU, makes it even more impressive in that our pass game was certainly below average when he was tearing up FCS and MVFC .. very Walter Payton like before the super bowl team starting coming together.

But I digress ... again ... I'll take a QB that can move chains with short to intermediate pass game. We haven't had that since the 2016 version of Jake Kolbe.
Robinson was especially impressive in the playoffs...when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

fourthandshort

Robinson was especially impressive in the playoffs...when everyone knew he was getting the ball.
The first game against SEMO was just so dominant ... Robinson was literally a man among boys, but also credit to OL as there werre huge holes. It just looked too easy .. and to think that was a playoff game, which we were picked to lose by most. They stacked the box after seeing our YSU game implosion - and they got obliterated. JR had 41 carries for 297 yards. Bryce was 4 of 7 passing. First series, JR carried all 6 times for 78 yards against their stacked box .. game was over.

But the more impressive game was 2nd one at UCA - JR had 37 carries for 224 yards. Bryce was 6 of 11 passing. UCA had a pretty strong front 7 and the Southland conference was legit stronger than usual in 2019.

JR got off to decent start against NDSU .. 1st qtr he had 7 carries for 56 yards, so it looked like he was off to races .. but NDSU/MVFC play real defense. He finished with just 24 carries for 94 yards ... dampened by -14 yard loss, or he would have had 100+. Lack of pass game killed us.

ISUBU

I miss that information also. I figured that with two major coaching searches happening at the same time, the department had their hands full.

Total Red

Staff member
What up with spring practice? Saturday is the final practice? No reports or updates on the website? Total Red makes one report and that's all we've got to go on? I'm bumfizzled.
The final practice is Saturday April 9. Practice was started and then paused a week for Spring break and then continued.

Virginia Redbird

What up with spring practice? Saturday is the final practice? No reports or updates on the website? Total Red makes one report and that's all we've got to go on? I'm bumfizzled.
Try to keep up with what is going on with the team from a few states away! The ISU athletic department does not do a very good job of getting information out or promoting at least the football team. I know it is spring break and the tournament is going on but the team may as well be holding spring ball at CIAHQ! Complaints about empty stands and no fan interest but what truly does the athletic department do to build interest. Maybe locally they do. I can't talk about that. If you are alumni or fan from further away you have to work to get information. Kudos to this board for being a good source of information regarding ISU athletics.

fourthandshort

agree it has been way too quiet compared to their normal coverage ... kinda strange to fall off that much in one season. Maybe Spack wants to surprise everyone like we did coming out of a disappointing 2013 season when they picked us 6th or 7th in 2014 ??

That ended pretty ok for us .... well, except the last 1:38.

MadBird

Recap of today's scrimmage on the football page now. Did anyone go?

Props to the writer for doing his or her best to make it sound positive and exciting. Sounds like weather was crappy, downplayed the passing game, only one TD scored. Passing stats only for Zach and last year's FR Dorsey (8 yards on 4 completions for him!). Happy to see Sean Allen from Homewood-Flossmoor get 21 carries, I have high hopes for him. Wenkers Wright leading rusher. Got a 51 yard FG out of RS FR kicker Ian Wagner.

Wondering if Nigel White helps this team more as a slot receiver than at RB? If we have Pha'Leak, Wenkers, Allen, Lampkin and then Mueller, what the heck, getting pretty crowded back there.

Dmills

Not really able to judge the passing game at all today, considering the conditions. Annexstad (21 attempts) and Dorsey (12 attempts) were the "leading passers". Scrimmage was "just over 100 plays" with "just under 70 rushing attempts", so it doesn't sound like the other quarterbacks got much or any action (Brennan and Rittenhouse). Waring is still recovering from his torn labrum and is no contact as far as I know.

Ian Wagner had 4 field goals in the wind including 51 and 40 yards. He has a huge leg for us, going to be interesting if he takes the starting role for kickoffs/place kicking/punting. I believe his only competition at the position currently is Takerian from the 2019 recruiting class.

True Freshman, Nick Kessler was one of the defensive leaders, tallying 5 tackles and 3 "sacks".

Wenkers Wright had the best day out of the running back room with 44 yards on 13 carries.

Total Red

Staff member
Yes the March wind was fierce at the scrimmage today. They used to start spring practice in April with milder weather. I'm not sure why it got moved up to mid-March this year. The conditions were not right for passing and the accuracy was down. That part you can understand but the pass protection wasn't very good and we still don't really have a "go to" receiver. Those are longer term issues. Brennan did play at QB, I didn't see Waring or Rittenhouse.

Ian Wagner has the leg for long distance FGs. He didn't look as good punting.

The 32's have looked good this spring. That's Wenkers Wright at RB and Cade Campos at LB'er. Lots of depth at those 2 positions.

Dmills

Yes the March wind was fierce at the scrimmage today. They used to start spring practice in April with milder weather. I'm not sure why it got moved up to mid-March this year. The conditions were not right for passing and the accuracy was down. That part you can understand but the pass protection wasn't very good and we still don't really have a "go to" receiver. Those are longer term issues. Brennan did play at QB, I didn't see Waring or Rittenhouse.

The 32's have looked good this spring. That's Wenkers Wright at RB and Cade Campos at LB'er. Lots of depth at those 2 positions.
Did you happen to notice any of the OL transfers? Kobe Rios, Jake Pope, Dominic Collado?

MadBird

Was thinking/hoping/assuming you'd be there! For us!! ;)

Virginia Redbird

I would not be very concerned about pass protection in spring ball. That takes time and defense usually comes together faster. Not having dominant receivers also factors into that. I was surprised when I saw the article about spring ball. I thought it was pretty early for that, especially in Illinois. Too bad about the weather. That did not help with development much I am sure.

Top Bottom