Plans are in place to move forward with a fabric structure.

GratefulRed

No surprise, the athletic practice facility will be built on the field north of Horton and between G83 and the track.

Redbirdwarrior

This is the best possible move. I'm not sure where we thought we get going to get the capital for a 10-20 million dollar brick and mortar practice facility, but we would have never broken even on that. The bubble makes the most sense and I am personally a big fan. Saves money, provides the exact thing you need to keep ISU football relevant with other top FCS programs.

Next project should be the re-imagining of the west side stands and evaluation of Horton as a logical piece of infrastructure for 2023 and beyond. 2023 will be Horton's 60th birthday and either it is fully useful or not. There is no in-between.

Every year we talk about how cool it would be to have an ISU throwback MVC MBB game in Horton and every year we are told the facility is no longer viable as an option for that. We talk about how it is too small for some track events, too cramped for football practice on bad weather days. If we are raising money for something, I hope it is to either make Horton updated and viable for another 60 years or to tear it down and bring a state of the art facility up from the ashes.

TIMMY

I am totally on board with this. Put up a fabric structure ASAP. That's the perfect spot for it. And when the time and money is right tear down Ropp and put the brick and mortar up there. This will maximize our indoor practice space for all of our athletes.
The clock is ticking. Our athletes are competing now and there's a lot of infrastructure to be put in place before they can raise the roof on a fabric structure. Get it done. And keep Horton for intramurals and indoor track.

StLRedbird

Two thumbs up on the bubble. Does anyone know if the funds are lined up or is there more work to be done there?

The Horton issue is a can of worms. Personally, I think the next project should be the horseshoe, but I tend to wear football blinders nowadays. We would need to get to a point where the 24K seats in that Hancock 3.0 weren't enough before Horton and the west grandstand are worthy of discussion. I'm just mainly happy to hear of progress on the IPF.

JHBird

We definitely have to have something. Sad thing is if we go with the bubble then I don't think we see a brick and mortar structure for another 30 years. Hell, football could be outlawed by then.

MadBird

We definitely have to have something. Sad thing is if we go with the bubble then I don't think we see a brick and mortar structure for another 30 years. Hell, football could be outlawed by then.
While I pretty much agree with this, you know, when our "big donor" finally appears and makes the "lead gift", the bricks and mortar structure might appear. Somebody just gotta keep workin' to find him or her (as I've pointed out before, her = Tricia Griffith, CEO of Progressive Insurance, ISU alum. If she's got enough dough to pay for those goddam Flo commercials, she should have enough for the old alma mater!! :) )

TheTruth

Instead of half-assing it and building a cheap ass bubble, why don't they hire an A.D. who knows how to fundraise and put the project in his/her lap? Completely whiffing on this really kind of sums up Lyons tenure here and I'd hate to see some crappy tent out there just so Larry can save a little face on this.

Redbirdwarrior

Instead of half-assing it and building a cheap ass bubble, why don't they hire an A.D. who knows how to fundraise and put the project in his/her lap? Completely whiffing on this really kind of sums up Lyons tenure here and I'd hate to see some crappy tent out there just so Larry can save a little face on this.
I don't think that is entirely fair. How many times have you seen ISU football sell out since 2016? 4? Maybe 5? How many times has ISU football made a profit ...ever? I don't suspect a ton. We are a high end FCS football team and a new stadium, new field and brand new bubble to practice in over a 15 year span is pretty damn good if you ask me. I think you guys that are leaning on a 20M indoor football field and training facility and a horseshoe we have shown zero chance of filling in recent years is nuts.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. Sports arent being played, scholarships are being placed on hold, no money is coming into the University Athletic Dept hardly at all and pouting that you aren't getting a U of I or NIU level facility, having to settle for a brand new multi-million dollar bubble comes off as tone deaf to the world around you.

Bird Friend

If that’s the case, then just think of all the money we saved . . .

fourthandshort

I've long since accepted this Plan B .. it may not give us 100% of what we want, but it absolutely gives us 100% of what we "need" and accomplishes the primary object ... a year round place to train indoors, as needed.

On the other hand ..... this may simply be a placeholder for Lyons to check his box right before retirement. Then let the new AD decide if they want to up the ante to a brick and mortar or not.

But times are a changing ... any concerns prior to pandemic with diminished attendance and financial support for college athletics, are now pretty well locked into adverse trend line. So this is smart and acceptable alternative.

So going to give AD Lyons credit for at least getting us what we "need" .. well done !!!

Now get er dun ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total Red

Staff member

TIMMY

We should be in WIN NOW mode. Spack's not going to be here forever. We need to do everything possible to get that National Championship before Spack hangs up his clipboard. A fabric bubble gets us closer. A down the long road brick and mortar facility does not.

fourthandshort

Nobody in the administration said this is "Done." Re-read the Pantagraph article

My bad .. flow of thread threw me off. But youre right, this only says, they are moving from brick and mortar to bubble concept and the new AD will continue this pursuit.

Interesting what Dietrz said he is looking for in new AD

Dietz would like a new director of athletics who has “vision for the athletic department about where we are and where we might be able to go, expertise in fundraising and individuals who have addressed diversity and equity within existing programs or who have plans to enhance that."

I'm 100% on board with new AD having these attributes as strengths in comparison to Lyons.

Let's go Zenger !!!!

MadBird

My bad .. flow of thread threw me off. But youre right, this only says, they are moving from brick and mortar to bubble concept and the new AD will continue this pursuit.

Interesting what Dietrz said he is looking for in new AD

Dietz would like a new director of athletics who has “vision for the athletic department about where we are and where we might be able to go, expertise in fundraising and individuals who have addressed diversity and equity within existing programs or who have plans to enhance that."

I'm 100% on board with new AD having these attributes as strengths in comparison to Lyons.

Let's go Zenger !!!!

You know, thinking back to when I first read that article, I thought to myself, shouldn't the UNIVERSITY have the vision of where they want to, and then look for the person to get us there? Instead, we're hiring someone who has a vision for ISU w/o knowing whether that's where anyone wants to go or whether it's realistic?? But I get it, if you get the right person, the right leadership skills, they get you going "somewhere".

I'm good with a bubble, would be nice to get "bricks and mortar", but agree a bubble is better than nothing.

Bird Friend

You know, thinking back to when I first read that article, I thought to myself, shouldn't the UNIVERSITY have the vision of where they want to, and then look for the person to get us there? Instead, we're hiring someone who has a vision for ISU w/o knowing whether that's where anyone wants to go or whether it's realistic?? But I get it, if you get the right person, the right leadership skills, they get you going "somewhere".

I'm good with a bubble, would be nice to get "bricks and mortar", but agree a bubble is better than nothing.
I get what you're saying, but I also understand where Dietz is coming from. He didn't have the vision. Dietz wasn't chosen when he interviewed for the job as Prez, he was selected after Flanagan and wife bombed in Blo/No. He was an emergency selection to deal with a PR crisis, not unlike Lyons. We just happened to have been gifted with two solid and competent, though not particularly charismatic or future-oriented individuals.

Total Red

Staff member
BUBBLE UP! There's no need to feel bad if we can't do a brick and mortar building. It's really about functionality. Look at what the Univ of Cincinnati has -

Inside UC's Practice Bubble - YouTube

Wouldn't it be sweet to have one of these. UC is currently ranked #6 in the FBS and they are a candidate for the CFP. Let's get a good AD and make this happen.

JHBird

BUBBLE UP! There's no need to feel bad if we can't do a brick and mortar building. It's really about functionality. Look at what the Univ of Cincinnati has -

Inside UC's Practice Bubble - YouTube

Wouldn't it be sweet to have one of these. UC is currently ranked #6 in the FBS and they are a candidate for the CFP. Let's get a good AD and make this happen.
That looks pretty good. I would've thought Cincy had an indoor place. What's funny is right after that video was one for U of Fla. They have a nice indoor place! In Florida? Like they really need it. Poor babies....gets down to 40 degrees I bet on some winter days. You can break a nail in that kind of frigid weather.

redbirdfan04

I don't think that is entirely fair. How many times have you seen ISU football sell out since 2016? 4? Maybe 5? How many times has ISU football made a profit ...ever? I don't suspect a ton. We are a high end FCS football team and a new stadium, new field and brand new bubble to practice in over a 15 year span is pretty damn good if you ask me. I think you guys that are leaning on a 20M indoor football field and training facility and a horseshoe we have shown zero chance of filling in recent years is nuts.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. Sports arent being played, scholarships are being placed on hold, no money is coming into the University Athletic Dept hardly at all and pouting that you aren't getting a U of I or NIU level facility, having to settle for a brand new multi-million dollar bubble comes off as tone deaf to the world around you.
The football team has sold out many times since 2016. As for a profit I do not think any non power five team is making a profit. I do agree with you that we will not find the funds to pay for a 20M IPF.

TIMMY

A top of the line dome like the one at Cincy goes for about $15 a square ft. At 100,000 square feet, we're talking about 1.5 million. Compare that to $20 million and the dome has been a no-brainer since day one. It's long overdue. Just make sure it's red and white and not all white like the infamous towels.:p

Total Red

Staff member
A top of the line dome like the one at Cincy goes for about $15 a square ft. At 100,000 square feet, we're talking about 1.5 million. Compare that to $20 million and the dome has been a no-brainer since day one. It's long overdue. Just make sure it's red and white and not all white like the infamous towels.:p
1.5 million? Does that include installation? I'm hearing that it will cost us over 5X that amount - so north of 7.5 - (seriously). For starters the practice field area behind Horton is not a suitable base. A lot of prep work would need to be done before you could even start putting up the dome.
Again, we need the right person to lead this project.

Top Bottom