Pantagraph

GoRedbirds1!

Thank you BirdsGrad2011! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed with his childish behavior tweeting out complaints. Surprised to see the department react so quickly and bend the knee to Jim and Randy... If I recall correctly, the initial plan of the seating project was to bump all media up onto the concourse level. Sad how he's had 3+ years to adjust and yet still felt compelled to whine.

CaliRdBrd

Hard to tell if it’s sarcasm. Seems like good seats and he’s sincerely passing along a “thank you”. No?

Loyl2u

ISU should take care of the pantagraph, AD looks like he responded quickly. What made Jim send out a social media rant vs. attempting to resolve with Athletics behind the scenes is up for conjecture. What’s not is the Redbirds need all the coverage they can get to promote all their programs- we can argue about that coverage or how we’d like to see more, but nobody else does as much on ISU. On the other hand, local sports is one of the last vestiges of regional newspapers and what readers subscribe on-line or print to read. There are plenty of reasons for both to work together and not air dirty laundry on the internet. ISU may want to work some on media relations and the Pantagraph-Lee Enterprises might want to work on relationship maintenance with those that provide the stories that they cover/sell. PS, i think there are lots of great places to watch a game in Redbird, including the floor, the baseline, the concourse level and when the arena is full(even the upper bowl). All have their own positives/negatives.

dpdoughbird06

ISU should take care of the pantagraph, AD looks like he responded quickly. What made Jim send out a social media rant vs. attempting to resolve with Athletics behind the scenes is up for conjecture. What’s not is the Redbirds need all the coverage they can get to promote all their programs- we can argue about that coverage or how we’d like to see more, but nobody else does as much on ISU. On the other hand, local sports is one of the last vestiges of regional newspapers and what readers subscribe on-line or print to read. There are plenty of reasons for both to work together and not air dirty laundry on the internet. ISU may want to work some on media relations and the Pantagraph-Lee Enterprises might want to work on relationship maintenance with those that provide the stories that they cover/sell. PS, i think there are lots of great places to watch a game in Redbird, including the floor, the baseline, the concourse level and when the arena is full(even the upper bowl). All have their own positives/negatives.
Former NWI Times beat writer - and honorary Redbird fan - Paul Oren quit the newspaper and set off to cover all things Valpo and Northwest Indiana sports vía his own subscription blog. If he builds and sustains a local following we may see this new model emerge.

All the Pantagraph guys are probably too close to retirement to try this, but whenever they move on and young blood comes in to replace them only to become disenchanted by the newspaper industry shackles, we may eventually see something similar.

Tpguy

I'm shocked he covers girl's team, didn't know we had any :eek:

BTbird

I like Benson's articles and feel he does a good job covering us. He's not the problem. We need to elevate the program so other publications write articles on us as well.

B

BirdGrad2011

Anyone blindly defending Jim (not really the Pantagraph) need to look at what Randy does covering the football team. Look at Wyatt Wheeler does covering Missouri State football and basketball. Look at what Paul Oren did before leaving the paper and since.

Jim blocked a good amount of people on Twitter for defending Josh Tolentino when Jim and Randy attacked him for scooping the Mikyle story. He’s blocked people for asking why he never questioned Dan Muller. He was dead wrong when Muller got the job. He’s condescending as hell without good reason.

The Pantagraph is fine and Randy does a great job on women’s basketball and the football team. Men’s basketball deserves better.

4thRowRedbird

Anyone blindly defending Jim (not really the Pantagraph) need to look at what Randy does covering the football team. Look at Wyatt Wheeler does covering Missouri State football and basketball. Look at what Paul Oren did before leaving the paper and since.

Jim blocked a good amount of people on Twitter for defending Josh Tolentino when Jim and Randy attacked him for scooping the Mikyle story. He’s blocked people for asking why he never questioned Dan Muller. He was dead wrong when Muller got the job. He’s condescending as hell without good reason.

The Pantagraph is fine and Randy does a great job on women’s basketball and the football team. Men’s basketball deserves better.
No one is blindly defending him. You have your opinion, which you seem to think needs stated time after time after time. One may even call it whining, or crying, ans you like to say, about your least favorite reporter. We freaking get it. Move on. Everyone on this site bitches about people beating a dead horse, yet here you are again. Your ax to grind must get heavy carrying it with you everywhere you go. Can we not just enjoy watching a team that is coming together and stringing a few wins together? This season is suppose to be all about growth and improvement for the team, maybe it should be the same for the message board.

jbird

Even when I lived in Springfield, I used to have a mail subscription to the Pantagraph, mostly out of nostalgia. I think that Jim Barnhart was still covering basketball st the time. I haven't had that subscription for 20 years and so I have no opinion about Benson's coverage.

But slightly off topic, although we have had good play-by-play announcers since, Art Kimballl and Rick Whitlow delivered ISU basketball to me on WJBC when I was a high school senior.

Tpguy

Even when I lived in Springfield, I used to have a mail subscription to the Pantagraph, mostly out of nostalgia. I think that Jim Barnhart was still covering basketball st the time. I haven't had that subscription for 20 years and so I have no opinion about Benson's coverage.

But slightly off topic, although we have had good play-by-play announcers since, Art Kimballl and Rick Whitlow delivered ISU basketball to me on WJBC when I was a high school senior.
You must be pretty old :cool:

Top Bottom