Now that summer workouts are complete

East Coast Bird

Defensive I would guess for Phil and Elijah getting used to the speed of D1 I would guess Zach would be ahead of everyone else new coming in. Coming from a California JC they are top of the line competition wise versus Illinois or Kansas or Iowa juco's

birdballfan

East Coast Bird said:
Defensive I would guess for Phil and Elijah getting used to the speed of D1 I would guess Zach would be ahead of everyone else new coming in. Coming from a California JC they are top of the line competition wise versus Illinois or Kansas or Iowa juco's

Unless I'm missing something didn't Phil get used to D1 speed last year???

East Coast Bird

I meant Phil on his defensive game and Elijah on getting used to Div 1 I would venture to say Phil is well up to speed and also Zach has a background in basketball coming from California juco to be ready to just dominate the valley

Source

Phil is the most improved. Worked on a little bit of range and is simply the leader and only returning starter for a reason. Also, summer workouts aren't over. They have a camp this week and then go home (for the most part) until school starts on 8/21.

Redbirdwarrior

Phil Fayne has Valley POY potential. He should be a double double avg guy all year. If he can get that 10-15 foot jumper consistent in his game and gain 15 lbs, there really arent too many people that can guard him. He's too fast and energetic for most bigs and too big for most guards. You'd have to guard him with a 3 many times and he is a mismatch for most of them.

Source

Redbirdwarrior said:
Phil Fayne has Valley POY potential. He should be a double double avg guy all year. If he can get that 10-15 foot jumper consistent in his game and gain 15 lbs, there really arent too many people that can guard him. He's too fast and energetic for most bigs and too big for most guards. You'd have to guard him with a 3 many times and he is a mismatch for most of them.

I would agree on POY if Alize Johnson wasn't still in the league. I believe Johnson would win POY even if Wichita State was still in the league. Fayne should be first team all-conference for sure.

Source

Source said:
Phil is the most improved. Worked on a little bit of range and is simply the leader and only returning starter for a reason. Also, summer workouts aren't over. They have a camp this week and then go home (for the most part) until school starts on 8/21.

I should specify the camp this week is a kids camp that most of the team is working. They're still playing together but done with the coaches portion of it. Sorry for any confusion.

CB2K

Phil will have to carry a much bigger load than he did last year. He will be targeted more by other teams which is why we need the newcomers to really step up. This is a young team and could be a challenging year where expectations should be somewhat tempered. At least MY has D1 experience so it's not like he has to adjust to the speed and strength of this level. A lot of talent all around and it will be exciting to see and hear more about their development.

East Coast Bird

I saw some of the players in Redbird. How long is Boogie's wingspan could he be shot blocker?

Source

East Coast Bird said:
I saw some of the players in Redbird. How long is Boogie's wingspan could he be shot blocker?

He's a long 6'5-6'6. He will defend guards on the perimeter at times and really disrupt shots. Yes. He could very well be a shot blocker.

BIRDFANATIC78

Source said:
East Coast Bird said:

He's a long 6'5-6'6. He will defend guards on the perimeter at times and really disrupt shots. Yes. He could very well be a shot blocker.
[/quote

Thanks for updates on Fayne/Clarance/Boogie/Ike,etc. WHAT ABOUT DAVID?

Redbird28

East Coast Bird said:

He's every bit of 6'6" and, like I have said all along in his recruiting thread that's been lost, his defensive presence altering shots is going to surprise people. So is his rebounding.

The point is, if his shot isn't falling for whatever reason he is going to contribute elsewhere in a positive manner.

V Boy

Source said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

I would agree on POY if Alize Johnson wasn't still in the league. I believe Johnson would win POY even if Wichita State was still in the league. Fayne should be first team all-conference for sure.

:text-+1: on Alize front-runner for PoY.....would have been between him and Shamet.

Fayne has a lot to prove to be in the consideration set for the top 5 players in the league in my opinion. Pretty much every facet of his game needs to improve from last year. Most important things that needed improvement.....rebounding and shooting touch (facing up, back to basket and free throws). He should be playing 28-30 mpg this year. Needs to stay on the court.

Sanantoniobird

V Boy said:
Source said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

:text-+1: on Alize front-runner for PoY.....would have been between him and Shamet.

Fayne has a lot to prove to be in the consideration set for the top 5 players in the league in my opinion. Pretty much every facet of his game needs to improve from last year. Most important things that needed improvement.....rebounding and shooting touch (facing up, back to basket and free throws). He should be playing 28-30 mpg this year. Needs to stay on the court.

many agree:
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/894690167180709888

Top Bottom