NIL Community Collaboration Event

FriscoBird90

My understanding is that, legally, a university cannot essentially serve as the athletes' agents and set up athletes with companies, outside groups, etc.; however, they can provide guidance to the athletes as to the parameters of NILs, how they themselves can go about structuring NIL contracts, etc. The 'big boys' have already been doing this for several months.

Whether you like NIL or not, the good news is that it has brought the buying of recruits above the table, leveled the playing field among some of the top tier P5 programs, and exposed the NCAA as the now relatively toothless overseer of minor league football. (I'm sure SMU wishes this had been in place back when they got the 'death penalty' for continuing to do what every football program in Texas and several throughout the country were doing at the time.) The bad news is that in doing so, it has resulted in an explosion in the amount of money and number of NIL offers being tossed at some recruits and might drive a deeper wedge between the 'haves' and the 'have nots,' not only between the P5 and others, but even within the P5s themselves. In that regard, controlling for other variables, ISU won't be able to hang with that younger school down I-74, but that younger school down I-74 likely won't be able to hang with the likes of tOSU and Michigan, either.

CB2K

When the DM bobblehead was given away at RA a few years back I asked the manager of the Alamo II about making bobbleheads for ISU players. He said it would never work because of the NCAA getting in the way and a whole lot of red tape, etc to get it approved along with it not being financially conducive. I wonder if things such as the jersey and other items would work now as BirdGrad2011 is showing for Baylor. I would love to purchase and support merch from past Redbirds. Mid-Major programs need to be just as creative as P5+ schools even if revenue streams would be smaller. I am definitely on board to support NIL products from Redbird Nation.

TIMMY

Past Redbird Bobbleheads!!!! Think about it.🤔 Who wouldn't want Zack Lofton sitting in a chair with no shoes and Jigga rubbing his back? Milik driving through Normal? Reggie Lynch showing the girls pictures of his woo woo? North Carolina look out. Big bucks!!!!

bombay

My understanding is that, legally, a university cannot essentially serve as the athletes' agents and set up athletes with companies, outside groups, etc.; however, they can provide guidance to the athletes as to the parameters of NILs, how they themselves can go about structuring NIL contracts, etc. The 'big boys' have already been doing this for several months.

Whether you like NIL or not, the good news is that it has brought the buying of recruits above the table, leveled the playing field among some of the top tier P5 programs, and exposed the NCAA as the now relatively toothless overseer of minor league football. (I'm sure SMU wishes this had been in place back when they got the 'death penalty' for continuing to do what every football program in Texas and several throughout the country were doing at the time.) The bad news is that in doing so, it has resulted in an explosion in the amount of money and number of NIL offers being tossed at some recruits and might drive a deeper wedge between the 'haves' and the 'have nots,' not only between the P5 and others, but even within the P5s themselves. In that regard, controlling for other variables, ISU won't be able to hang with that younger school down I-74, but that younger school down I-74 likely won't be able to hang with the likes of tOSU and Michigan, either.

It was funny when SMU's Eric Dickerson was driving around campus in the new Trans Am that Texas A&M had given him.

Humdinger

Past Redbird Bobbleheads!!!! Think about it.🤔 Who wouldn't want Zack Lofton sitting in a chair with no shoes and Jigga rubbing his back? Milik driving through Normal? Reggie Lynch showing the girls pictures of his woo woo? North Carolina look out. Big bucks!!!!
Sounds like NFT's to me. Especially the woowoo. Good thinkin', Coach.

Adunk33

Always wanted a real ISU jersey. Sell both football and basketball and make some money.
I'm sure there are things that go into it that I don't understand but when they did the "Athletics Garage Sale" a few years ago, jerseys of all sports were a hot commodity. I grabbed 3 baseball, a couple softball, and some practice MBB jerseys. There's absolutely a market for it.

The Kolbe one that was mentioned wasn't technically Kolbe. I believe they used the number 16 because it came out in 2016. Similarly the student giveaways at basketball the past couple years have been a generic #6. Of course, playing on the "6th man" idea but also the fact that players can't wear the number 6, so no concern over "using a players likeness."

I'd jump on a customizable retro white and black that they wore this year.

TIMMY

The garage sale was a great event. I got a bunch of good stuff there. I thought they undercharged for most of it. Banners like this don't grow on trees but they look pretty good hanging on walls. I wish they would do another sale.
Banner.jpg

Adunk33

The garage sale was a great event. I got a bunch of good stuff there. I thought they undercharged for most of it. Banners like this don't grow on trees but they look pretty good hanging on walls. I wish they would do another sale.
View attachment 717
That's sweet and I totally agree they undercharged! I walked out with around 10 jerseys, a couple pairs of shorts, a few windbreakers, and some brand new Nike baseball cleats and I don't think it was $100. At the time I was in grad school and appreciated the low cost :LOL:

DBird

How much you w
View attachment 717
How much you want for it?

Humdinger

View attachment 717
That is awesome. Can I be written into the will just for that piece of nostalgia? I have a cup of Doug Collins' actual sweat from the '72 Olympics and a tPGuy tp roll that I can trade ya for...

I have a ginormous "Bender's Baseline Bunch" banner that I...well...ummmm, "borrowed" from the south baseline concrete fascia of Redbird Arena the day Bender announced he was leaving.

cubird

Yes, but they were smart enough to give him only a 1 year lease..then SMU took over the lease:sneaky:

Top Bottom