News from Future Opponents

MadBird

Crissakes, I look in the paper this morning and see this - Bison favored by three in Tucson??

NORTH DAKOTA STATE AT ARIZONA 10 p.m. • FS1 Records: NDSU 2-0, Arizona 1-1 NDSU is 9-3 against FBS foes and has won six in a row since 2010, but this is its first such game since beating Iowa in 2016. The Bison were supposed to play Oregon in 2020, but that game was bumped to 2028 because of COVID-19. Line: NDSU by 3

DougSutton

Crissakes, I look in the paper this morning and see this - Bison favored by three in Tucson??
Unless there are injuries I'm not aware of, I don't understand the spread. I saw Arizona come into San Diego State a few weeks ago and win 38-20. They lost to Mississippi State last weekend and their quarterback through 3 INT. Coming off that loss, I would expect a rebound. Arizona isn't a powerhouse at all, the Pac 12 isn't the SEC and Arizona is middle to lower tier of their conference.
I would have expected the spread to be Arizona favored by 6 and if I was a betting man and had to choose, I think I'd take Arizona at that spread.

Dmills

SIU beats Northwestern 31-24. Big win for the Salukis after starting the season 0-2. SIU has another test next week vs a solid North Dakota team before their matchup with ISU.

Manchester Matt

SIU beats Northwestern 31-24. Big win for the Salukis after starting the season 0-2. SIU has another test next week vs a solid North Dakota team before their matchup with ISU.
SIU might have just saved its season.

Safe to say it might be time for Go Cats to avoid scheduling MVFC teams.

Manchester Matt

Based on what?
The 2016 team went to and won a bowl game against a ranked team. They allowed 30 or more points twice that season and won three B1G road games.

This year's squad has already allowed 30 twice. They stink. Is there another win on GO Cats' schedule after Miami this weekend? I don't see it.

redbirds2000

I do respect Fitz for scheduling IL teams. U of I not so much...
What else would you like U of I to do with IL teams?

U of I Schedules
2008 - EIU
2009 - ISU
2010 - NIU and SIU
2013 - SIU
2015 - WIU
2018 - WIU
2020 - ISU - Canceled
2024 - EIU
2026 - SIU
2028 - ISU

NW Schedules
2008 - SIU
2010 - ISU
2011 - EIU
2014 - NIU
2015 - EIU
2016 - ISU
2022 - SIU

Virginia Redbird

SIU might have just saved its season.

Safe to say it might be time for Go Cats to avoid scheduling MVFC teams.
Big win for the Egyptian Dogs but, as was pointed out in the comments, this does not look to be one of the better NU teams. I plan on watching the Southern game next weekend since the Birds are on a bye. It will be interesting to see them play.

fourthandshort

Based on what?
Here is their W-L schedule sorted by Massey Ranking at yearend. And we didn't get lucky winning 9-7. We beat them statistically in every major category. A week later we lost to a decent EIU, though Kolbe was injured and came in 2nd half to lead a comeback that fell short. Roller coaster season after that. Imagine a win like this in year 1 without Coprich/Roberson.

Here is Northwestern 2016 record .. further below is their 2021 record (3-9, most losses decisive or blowouts)

1663680620227.png

Here is their 2021 record:

1663680893963.png

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

Here is their W-L schedule sorted by Massey Ranking at yearend. And we didn't get lucky winning 9-7. We beat them statistically in every major category. A week later we lost to a decent EIU, though Kolbe was injured and came in 2nd half to lead a comeback that fell short. Roller coaster season after that. Imagine a win like this in year 1 without Coprich/Roberson.

Here is Northwestern 2016 record .. further below is their 2021 record (3-9, most losses decisive or blowouts)

View attachment 782

Here is their 2021 record:

View attachment 783
Why is there a need to compare if the Northwestern team that lost to the Redbirds was better than the Northwestern team that lost to the Salukis? Is there some moral victory there for the Redbird fan over the Saluki fan?

Virginia Redbird

Why is there a need to compare if the Northwestern team that lost to the Redbirds was better than the Northwestern team that lost to the Salukis? Is there some moral victory there for the Redbird fan over the Saluki fan?
There is no need. Fourth commented the NU team the Birds beat was a better team than the one the Egyptian Dogs beat last weekend. A poster asked what the basis for that comment was. This is the basis. Means really nothing but interesting comparisons.

fourthandshort

Its a Redbird fan forum .. I'm a fan, so I post. But we beat Northwestern during midst of their best 2 football seasons .. 2015 and 2016. But as big a win as that was, we lost 4 straight and snuck into playoffs. That was a pretty good team, just inconsistent.

And yes, I was also inferring while SIU's win was a nice win, it wasn't as big an upset or accomplishment. They are currently coming off one of the worst seasons under Fitz at 3-9.

Like us hopefully, SIU may still find their stride. We get a bye week, and they play a pretty solid UND .. then we meet SIU. Hoping we have solved some of our issues by then.

Redbird28

The 1995 #3 AP Ranked, Rose Bowl Participant Wildcats would like a word. By far, their highest ranking and probably best team.

Its a Redbird fan forum .. I'm a fan, so I post. But we beat Northwestern during midst of their best 2 football seasons .. 2015 and 2016. But as big a win as that was, we lost 4 straight and snuck into playoffs. That was a pretty good team, just inconsistent.

fourthandshort

The 1995 #3 AP Ranked, Rose Bowl Participant Wildcats would like a word. By far, their highest ranking and probably best team.
I do recall this team .. I was more thinking recent/Fitz history. But yes Gary Barnett put together a great program. Stunning that he did this at NW.

MadBird

For much of my working career, I was kind of a professional "nitpicker".

NU. Northwestern is one word. Would be like calling Illinois State INSU.

Website - nusports.com NU

Ticket ad from NU. "NU football".

1663769556540.png

Thanks for listening. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . . .

Top Bottom