NET rankings are out

WoodlandWarrior

This should tell the new AD everything he needs to know about the state of the basketball program. Take a good look at the many mediocre programs who are AHEAD of us. How have we fallen so far!

ISU86

Seriously...there are really 64 teams worse than us? I find that hard to believe...
Those numbers are always flaky early. Not enough data available to calculate meaningful results.

Colgate is #16 via a 1-1 record, splitting a conference series with Army. If we had come out #16 and had only played the UMass-Lowell/Ohio State games there would be plenty of takes finding the NET results comical.

The NET calculation is more based on quality opponent opportunities as opposed to results.

The NET will not be needed to judge this season.

Bird Friend

Staff member
I keep hearing from analysts about how good the Valley is this year . . . well, thus far, the conference has a combined 1 Quad 2 win, no Quad 1 wins . . . that's not a recipe for being a good conference. And at this point, the only Quad 1 or 2 wins will be in conference. If Drake wants to sure of an at large, they can't lose to anyone but Loyola, imo.

TBS_20

No doubt in my mind we would lose to a team lower seeded than us at 276. Hell, we almost lost to second to last place Chicago State last year

Redbird222

No doubt in my mind we would lose to a team lower seeded than us at 276. Hell, we almost lost to second to last place Chicago State last year
I get that your upset and deservedly so but

1. We beat Chicago St by 4 two years ago when Malik was a Sr.
2. We beat them by 29 points this year

If its any consolation we actually lost to Chicago St when I was in school but they were decent back then. Bob Hallberg coached them before going to UIC. If memory serves me correct, they had recently moved to D1 and were an independent. I think it was when William Anderson was our only senior on the team and Derrick Sanders was are only junior. We had supposedly a great freshman class that for a variety of reasons did not pan out as expected. Lots of ups and downs that year. The game or two before was the famous loss to Iowa State at Horton when the game was tied, fans were screaming and William Anderson is dribbling the ball outfront for a last second shot. Lagrange native Jeff Hornacek comes from behind as William is just standing and dribbling. I don't think he ever heard anybody warning him that Hornacek was coming. I think Jeff Harris fouled him on the layup or someone did and we lost by 3. I thought we be ok after that game but then we lost to Chicago St the next game or two. Knew then we were in trouble and our NCAA streak of three years was in jeopardy.

ISU86

I get that your upset and deservedly so but

1. We beat Chicago St by 4 two years ago when Malik was a Sr.
2. We beat them by 29 points this year

If its any consolation we actually lost to Chicago St when I was in school but they were decent back then. Bob Hallberg coached them before going to UIC. If memory serves me correct, they had recently moved to D1 and were an independent. I think it was when William Anderson was our only senior on the team and Derrick Sanders was are only junior. We had supposedly a great freshman class that for a variety of reasons did not pan out as expected. Lots of ups and downs that year. The game or two before was the famous loss to Iowa State at Horton when the game was tied, fans were screaming and William Anderson is dribbling the ball outfront for a last second shot. Lagrange native Jeff Hornacek comes from behind as William is just standing and dribbling. I don't think he ever heard anybody warning him that Hornacek was coming. I think Jeff Harris fouled him on the layup or someone did and we lost by 3. I thought we be ok after that game but then we lost to Chicago St the next game or two. Knew then we were in trouble and our NCAA streak of three years was in jeopardy.
I was at that game, and yes that team had Anderson as a senior and Braksick/Sanders as juniors. All others were sophomores and freshmen as Duncan/Johnson/McKenny/Stefanovic graduated the season prior. Cyclones had two future NBAers in Grayer and Hornacek.

Donewald got a couple of NIT appearances out of those players the following two seasons but that particular one was wildly erratic.

JHBird

Seriously...there are really 64 teams worse than us? I find that hard to believe...
I agree. Kinda feel we caught a break getting in at 276. We'll have to play a lot better to stay there though.

Redbird222

I was at that game, and yes that team had Anderson as a senior and Braksick/Sanders as juniors. All others were sophomores and freshmen as Duncan/Johnson/McKenny/Stefanovic graduated the season prior. Cyclones had two future NBAers in Grayer and Hornacek.

Donewald got a couple of NIT appearances out of those players the following two seasons but that particular one was wildly erratic.
Forgot about Big Bill.

Redbird222

Drake drubbing SIU at half by 20. Drake is able to get SIU to play a bit faster and shots looked rushed and pressing. Drakes guards and wings can all handle the ball. They will create nightmares for us because if our bigs constantly switch or over play the pick and roll. They also defend the 3 well.

This is the 4th game I have seen Drake play and my only question is how Drake will they handle someone with an inside presence. Domask has had little success outside and little when inside.
I haven't really see a team try to pund it inside on them .. maybe thats a credit to their D. Drake has two players over 6'6. Both are slow but position themselves well. The backup is a freshman and they have a transfer that starts from Seton Hall. This guy looks huge.

I think Bradley and Loyola match up better with Drake than SIU.

BTbird

I have not watched a minute of SIU or Drake this year. Is Drake really that good or did we start building the Bryan Mullins wing of the HOF too early?

TBS_20

Mullins is good. DeVries is going to P5 next year

ISUBird

Perfect. Time to give Dan another extension while his value is so low!

ISU FAN 1

I have not watched a minute of SIU or Drake this year. Is Drake really that good or did we start building the Bryan Mullins wing of the HOF too early?
Drake is undefeated, and their best player from last year is averaging 13 & 7 as Minnesota’s starting center this year.

bombay

Katy has expanded her radio color from the Nuggets to the Colorado Buffs. #11 NET rankings!

Top Bottom