NDSU Game (10/5/19)

fourthandshort

since we have a bye week, as do the Bison .. they already started their game thread, so we might as well get started.

I think in general, this is a game of two teams with similar strengths ... they just have a few more titles than us :D

We both like to run and play defense, and try not to depend too much on pass game. Though they certainly run better as a team and pass more efficiently than we do historically .. same for this year at this point.

The biggest variable in this matchup is certainly our pass game and QB Davis ... did he find himself and his pocket sense against NAU ? Because if he did, he's clearly a different QB then we saw the first 3 games this year and the last 8 games last season.

What do each have returning from a year ago ... I will just point out NDSU lost the 2nd most starters from last year in all of FCS according to keeper site: http://www.keepratings.net/#.

We were pretty high up until we lost 2 defensive Grad Transfers ... but I think we have more than adequately filled those 2 spots .. so that hurt our 2 deep more than our starters.

But they are the 7 time champs and reloaded just fine again, including at QB ... a dual threat guy that is probably better than Stick at same point in their careers. But they haven't been tested much in OOC games to this point other than the UCD game.

They are pretty young and small on defense. So going to assume they play very fast and smart on defense. Their DTs run 285 lbs or less, DEs run 230-250, LBers run 215 to 225 except for stud LB Cox at 230, their safeties are nice size at 200 lbs, but their corners run 174-185. So they are going to play fast and smart. Most of their leading tacklers are listed as safeties and LBers, and are largely SOs and JRs. So they will be even better next year ... so let's knock them off this year !!!

Offensively, their RS FR QB is very good athlete and throws pretty good so far .. though like most of their QBs, they aren't asked to do a lot as passing QBs .. but this guy should be a good one .. possibly better than Stick by time he is done. At RB, they have a committee .. nothing off the charts, but several solid options. They brag a lot about their OL .. they think it is best group ever. Maybe they mean "potentially" the best group ever because they lost 3 of 5 starters, so still unproven 4 games into season ... but they like what hey have this year on OL.

No prediction yet ... except there will be a lot of good hits bewteen 2 very good defensive teams. Our size will be notable again this year and we held them in check for most part last year .. except for frickin QB Stick, he killed us last year on 3rd down with his legs and partly his arm ... and their new guy runs just as well !!

Tough break for us losing our top 2 receivers last week. Hoping Davis can bring the other guys along ... he's got 2 weeks to get more familiar.

Redbirds100

Looking like a sellout, should be a great atmosphere.............
Many Bison tailgaters........... Should be a 2PM instead of a NOONER.........

Redbirdwarrior

I thought the Bison were pretty unimpressive compared to recent Bison teams in watching them last week, but comparing anyone to what, a 29 time national champion is a difficult bar to set year after year.

I think ISU, fully healthy, wins the game by a field goal. As we are missing some OL, virtually all of our receiving corps and a couple other players, I can't assume, with any logic, that ISU comes too close to this one.

NDSU: 26
ISU: 17

Birdswin

It seems like the last 3 times we have played the Bison - especially up there - they have burned us severely with long passes off of play-action in the first half, particularly in the first quarter. I hope our DBs do not get burned early.

Who is left to play receiver that can get open AND catch the f'ing ball??? Is there even a speedster that can at least fake being a deep threat? Or will the Bison Defense not even worry about it. Stuff the run and blitz the crap out of Davis?

ChiRedbirdfan

Birdswin said:
It seems like the last 3 times we have played the Bison - especially up there - they have burned us severely with long passes off of play-action in the first half, particularly in the first quarter. I hope our DBs do not get burned early.

Could it be the ISU coaches were over-gaming the NDSU run game and consequently ISU got burned on the pass plays vs the ISU DBs being inept? Seems like we recently have had some strong DBs but could it be they may have been over-exposed early on vs NDSU?

StLRedbird

Birdswin said:
It seems like the last 3 times we have played the Bison - especially up there - they have burned us severely with long passes off of play-action in the first half, particularly in the first quarter.

It’s possible to throw deep off play action in the 1st quarter?

fourthandshort

Very hard to not play them to run when they run way more than pass and do it very well even though you know they will run 66% of the time. But I like our personnel this year more than last year .. and we did pretty good aganst Bison last year, other than Stick carving us up on 3rd down with his legs and arms. We can't shut down everyone in that offense .. they are too good at what they do.

Last year we held their RBs to 35 carries for 108 yards, 3.1 ypc .... except QB Stick had 10 carries for 70 yards .. combine they averaged 3.96 ypc. Our RBs had 26 carries for 156 yards, 6.0 ypc .. including our QB, it dropped to 4.8 ypc. So we won the battle in trenches of run game .. against the best run game in FCS. Other than QB Stick, that is.

This year, our front 7 is getting to QB much better than last year when we finished last in sacks .. so far we are #1 in sacks. This takes some pressure of our pass defense. So i think our run defense is comparable or slightly better than a year ago, and our pass defense should be better as well, simply because we're getting much more pressure on QB this year.

Now the challenge is this .... NDSU will game plan for our pass rush pressure, and they will game plan for it way better than EIU or NAU did. That and they really like their OL, which has 3 new starters.

I like our chances, but our fate will depend on the receiver group stepping up to replace our 2 startes, and Davis showing that same resolve and confidence in the pocket as he showed against NAU. He was a different QB back there last week. I don't expect him to do that against NDSU, but just need him to hang in the pocket and keep their defense honest. NAU was fast on defense, and so is NDSU ... so the speed will be similar. But obviously, NDSU will be much tougher and much more stout on defense, especially their pass defense.

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
Birdswin said:
It seems like the last 3 times we have played the Bison - especially up there - they have burned us severely with long passes off of play-action in the first half, particularly in the first quarter.

I think it's allowed :D

I also think we're allowed to throw to the TE.

RedbirdSoxFan

Birdswin said:

Who is left to play receiver that can get open AND catch the f'ing ball??? Is there even a speedster that can at least fake being a deep threat? Or will the Bison Defense not even worry about it. Stuff the run and blitz the crap out of Davis?

I would hope that ANY Receiver that Coach Spack is offering a scholarship to can do these things!

redbirdfan04

RedbirdSoxFan said:
Birdswin said:

I would hope that ANY Receiver that Coach Spack is offering a scholarship to can do these things!

Not every kid is ready when they come in. It can take 1-3 years to get them game ready. Not many freshman or even sophomores play. I agree you can't teach speed, but route running is very difficult. Also the players that have not got first team reps are not going to have the timing of the offense down. Two weeks to prepare is going to help but the passing game is not going to look like it did against NAU.

Hamdonger

Birdswin said:
Stuff the run and blitz the crap out of Davis?

I have a feeling we're gonna have to hold them to single digits and the entire kicking game better be ON.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
StLRedbird said:
Birdswin said:

Do we have anyone left that can get separation 1:1 ?

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
fourthandshort said:
StLRedbird said:

Braxton Haley, Kacper Rutkiewicz, Austin Nagel, Cole Blackmon, Joey Lombardi are who we got I believe. Haley and Blackmon are the upper classmen, and Kacper has looked good at times. NDSU is not the game we want to be trying out new starters ... but ... NEXT MAN UP !!!!!!

Redbird15

fourthandshort said:
StLRedbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Braxton Haley, Kacper Rutkiewicz, Austin Nagel, Cole Blackmon, Joey Lombardi are who we got I believe. Haley and Blackmon are the upper classmen, and Kacper has looked good at times. NDSU is not the game we want to be trying out new starters ... but ... NEXT MAN UP !!!!!!

Did anyone view Spack conference on the 24th ? Listen to what he said about receivers in last 3 min of the press conference in the link. Basically he said Blackmon has some issues with learning the plays/catching. He stated they are all on scholarship and some of them have more talent than the ones that are playing. He mention Jabari Khepera and Jalen Carr in the Pantagraph news article that they would be looking at both to access their readiness. Reading both bio's both were standout track athletes. Khepera play WR caught 53 pass 626 yds. He ran 4*100 & 200 relay teams. Carr was a RB who rush for 1100yds average 11.4 yds a carrie but also caught 13 passes for 300 yards and was a top 100m state track finalist. Seen both kids hudl etc. Both are fast ! Think the kid carr is more elusive. The question is do they know the schemes as the issue with Blackmon and will they go with the starters they have or burn RS with some of the other freshmen WR's. Depth and Health will be a factor for the future ! The bye week does give the coaches time to come up with a plan for the future. At least the injury bugs were not going into a playoff game with 1 week to prepare. Link to Spack Media conference. https://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=10237

JHBird

I guess they should try some of those prospective redshirts out this next game. They got four games before they lose a year. If the first group doesn't do it then get some others in there. Seems like one of those guys will emerge to be our stud this year. Haley seems to be dropping the ball too much. As for Blackmon, I had high hopes for him when he transferred. Didn't Brady Davis talk to him personally, to have him come here? We definitely need him to play at a high level the rest of the year.

As for the game plan. When will our size difference on OL vs their DL really pay off? I hope we can maul them... but then again, it's NDSU. You have to respect them no matter what kind of team they have, and who their QB and coaches are.

StLRedbird

Redbird15 said:
fourthandshort said:
StLRedbird said:

Did anyone view Spack conference on the 24th ? Listen to what he said about receivers in last 3 min of the press conference in the link. Basically he said Blackmon has some issues with learning the plays/catching. He stated they are all on scholarship and some of them have more talent than the ones that are playing. He mention Jabari Khepera and Jalen Carr in the Pantagraph news article that they would be looking at both to access their readiness. Reading both bio's both were standout track athletes. Khepera play WR caught 53 pass 626 yds. He ran 4*100 & 200 relay teams. Carr was a RB who rush for 1100yds average 11.4 yds a carrie but also caught 13 passes for 300 yards and was a top 100m state track finalist. Seen both kids hudl etc. Both are fast ! Think the kid carr is more elusive. The question is do they know the schemes as the issue with Blackmon and will they go with the starters they have or burn RS with some of the other freshmen WR's. Depth and Health will be a factor for the future ! The bye week does give the coaches time to come up with a plan for the future. At least the injury bugs were not going into a playoff game with 1 week to prepare. Link to Spack Media conference. https://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=10237
Thanks for sharing that, 15. Need to listen again, but my recollections...

Bailey. First guy Spack brought up when discussing WR situation. "Needs to get his nose into the playbook." I think he said Bailey is 6'5'' but roster lists him at 6'3"
Blackman. Has a couple drops this year. Consistently makes catches in practice needs to do it in games.
Rutkiewicz. Faster, quicker version of Schnell. Is he as tough? Guess we're gonna find out.
Haley. Just now getting back up to speed from shoulder surgery. Sounded like he thought Haley was ready to step into the void.

Overall Spack sounded confident that "we'll find some receivers that can play" or something like that. But Spack always sounds confident.

MadBird

We've had good transfers who didn't get much PT, for whatever reason, at their previous school, BUT it looks to me like Blackman never caught a pass at Virginia. So, it's not like we were getting a "proven contributor" or whatever you wanna call it. I hope he finds himself here in the next week or so!!

And so, let the freshman step up and let er rip! They talk all the time about "limiting" offenses to fit the personnel, whether it be the QB or whatever, so streamline the offense to fit the receivers if need be, give them each a few routes to master, and let's see what we got!

fourthandshort

here is youtibe link for NDSU vs UCD game .. if you're bored this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFNH98bbyhY

Top Bottom