NCAA corruption

Redbird Alum 2004

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2759734-report-top-college-basketball-coaches-players-programs-involved-in-corruption.amp.html

I can't wait to see how many power 5 schools are penalized. If it includes bans on the tournament then next yesterday tourney might be the most exciting in years.

Bird Friend

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2759734-report-top-college-basketball-coaches-players-programs-involved-in-corruption.amp.html

I can't wait to see how many power 5 schools are penalized. If it includes bans on the tournament then next yesterday tourney might be the most exciting in years.

Is that a new tourney? The Next Yesterday Tourney?

Redbird Alum 2004

Bird Friend said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:

Is that a new tourney? The Next Yesterday Tourney?

Lol damn auto correct. *Year's

FriscoBird90

So when is the investigation of collusion among the "Power 5" conferences and its members to exclude non-Power 5 programs from the NCAA tournament in terms of both scheduling and selection criteria? They should have about 25 years of data points to help chart a trend line for that case.

BTbird

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2018/02/o-basketball-fbi
Fans of college basketball should enjoy the current season while they can, because the largest upset of the NCAA tournament may come in a few years when wins are stripped and legacies are destroyed.

That’s according to a report from Yahoo Sports, which claims that “every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs” are all swept up in an FBI corruption scandal.

giphy.gif

DWRedbird

If I had my guess, penalties are going to be things like revoking wins (which is virtually a slap on the wrist) and maybe some coaching fines or suspensions (and potential firings be the university) but nothing that will really reshape the landscape of college basketball any, because the NCAA is to chicken poop to actually take a whack at the P5 teams.

In my opinion if they really want to hit these teams, and prove that they are going to take this corruption thing seriously then I would do the following: 1. Hefty financial penalty for the university (say 1-10 million depending on the seriousness of the infractions). Hit them in the pocketbook. 2. Post season ban and forfeiture of tourney shares from the conference (1-5 years depending on the seriousness of the infractions). 3. Reduction in scholarship offerings (2-5 scholarship reduction, and for 4-8 years depending on severity of the infraction). 4. Allow student athletes impacted by this to transfer without restriction or penalty, as the students shouldn't be punished for the mess-ups of the coach and administration.

I think this would strike fear into university and make them start taking this sort of thing more seriously.

DWRedbird

Redbrd1 said:
BirdGrad2011 said:

Just saw that. Wonder if any of these schools or players will face punishment? Now we know how WSU got FVV. Hahah

I hope the players don't face punishment, I really don't blame them for taking money. I hope the schools are severely punished, so that they can clean up college basketball.

I have to wonder, does Tom Izzo's job at Mich St. survive? Between the OTL stories and Bridges showing up on the list, this could effectively end his tenure there.

DoubleDeuce

The players aren't to take any responsibility for their action? I'm listening to Lon Kruger on the radio right now talking about how all of these kids knew what they were doing was wrong. The players I feel bad for are their teammates that didn't take money who's teams will be impacted because their cheater teammates were caught.

cpacmel

DWRedbird said:
I hope the players don't face punishment, I really don't blame them for taking money. I hope the schools are severely punished, so that they can clean up college basketball.

You don't blame the players for knowingly breaking NCAA rules? :shock:

BirdsEyeView

This is going to be huge!!

But, in the same token, I also think it stems from a systematic failure by the NCAA to provide stipends, etc. to these players who, yes get free rides to expensive colleges, but some are poor to afford other things like food for which the scholarships do not cover.

Interesting to see the fallout.

gobirds85

This is a tricky one. The student/athletes who took the $$$ know how the game is played. They see schools making wads of $$$ and coaches getting up to $10 mil a year so they figure "why not me?" Everyone is making bank off my work so I might as well get some too.

Izzo is having a bad year. I do not think missedagian st will fire him. Hell, they just gave Dantonio an extension and look at the crap he's in!!! Izzo will be allowed to retire and then he will be inducted as a hof coach and dickhead v will say he got railroaded and how great a guy he is and the system in not fair, blah, blah, blah...

The only thing that will change is the way college basketball cheats. If anyone actually believes that this investigation will clean up the game, please PM me as I have some land in FLA and a bridge in NY I'm trying to sell at rock bottom prices. Act now!

ChiRedbirdfan

gobirds85 said:
This is a tricky one. The student/athletes who took the $$$ know how the game is played. They see schools making wads of $$$ and coaches getting up to $10 mil a year so they figure "why not me?" Everyone is making bank off my work so I might as well get some too.

Izzo is having a bad year. I do not think missedagian st will fire him. Hell, they just gave Dantonio an extension and look at the crap he's in!!! Izzo will be allowed to retire and then he will be inducted as a hof coach and dickhead v will say he got railroaded and how great a guy he is and the system in not fair, blah, blah, blah...

The only thing that will change is the way college basketball cheats. If anyone actually believes that this investigation will clean up the game, please PM me as I have some land in FLA and a bridge in NY I'm trying to sell at rock bottom prices. Act now!

There will be some fallout and impact but to what degree is the question. The biggest impact may be on the publicly traded vendors (Nike, Adidas..etc) that have been part of the problem. Since this all started the whispers in Chicago was that Duke was at risk. Will be interesting to see if indeed Duke and their holier than thou attitude gets nailed. Coach K did grow up in Chicago so it could be in his DNA.

BTbird

gobirds85 said:

My take to the players who think this way. The player can always take their talents elsewhere if they think getting free college only is a raw deal. If they make it as a coach or player professionally , they will get their payday. If they don't, they have a college degree without any loans to pay. One can argue that they are getting a good deal.

DWRedbird

cpacmel said:
DWRedbird said:

I'm not saying I condone what they did, or condone violating NCAA rules. But, if an 18 or 19 year old kid, who potentially hasn't grown up with lot of money, gets offered large sums of money by a guy who probably told him, "don't worry everyone takes money, you won't get in trouble" and the coaches and administrators of the university don't put a stop to it and more or less encouraged/enabled it, then no I don't blame the athletes, and wouldn't level heavy punishment against them.

DoubleDeuce

DWRedbird said:
cpacmel said:
DWRedbird said:

I'm not saying I condone what they did, or condone violating NCAA rules. But, if an 18 or 19 year old kid, who potentially hasn't grown up with lot of money, gets offered large sums of money by a guy who probably told him, "don't worry everyone takes money, you won't get in trouble" and the coaches and administrators of the university don't put a stop to it and more or less encouraged/enabled it, then no I don't blame the athletes, and wouldn't level heavy punishment against them.

If 18 or 19 year old kids are too young to be punished as an adult then they should not be voting.

Top Bottom