NCAA 1st Round vs Wisconsin

topiarydan

So Birds going to Madison. Was hoping they would get the 2 or 3 but its loaded with UCLA and Notre Dame. UNI got an at large and faces Mizzou
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2019

Redbird222

topiarydan said:
So Birds going to Madison. Was hoping they would get the 2 or 3 but its loaded with UCLA and Notre Dame. UNI got an at large and faces Mizzou
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2019

Tough draw

JHBird

We just had a few too many losses in mid season, like at Southern and MSU. Our RPI was in the 70's so this is what we deserve I guess. Last year I think our RPI was in the 30's. But still a great year. I'm looking forward to visiting Madison, and am looking forward to seeing UCLA vs Notre Dame as well.

MadBird

Yes, a brutal draw. UW is very very good, again, and the Fieldhouse is a brutal place to play. It is the old basketball arena, set up just for volleyball now (well wrestling too), the crowd is right on you and all around you and it is packed every game and they are wild and crazy. Got a buddy who goes to every game.

Lucky's Brew Pub and Big Ten Pub are prolly the two best places close to the Fieldhouse, just down Regent St. Big Ten has a very good fish fry on Friday's. Obviously a lot of places in town farther away from the Fieldhouse. My favorite pre-basketball game place is the Main Depot, a friendly dive bar, off Regent on Main, but several blocks from the Fieldhouse (but closer to the Kohl Center). Always a good pre-game crowd.

JHBird

MadBird said:
Yes, a brutal draw. UW is very very good, again, and the Fieldhouse is a brutal place to play. It is the old basketball arena, set up just for volleyball now (well wrestling too), the crowd is right on you and all around you and it is packed every game and they are wild and crazy. Got a buddy who goes to every game.

Lucky's Brew Pub and Big Ten Pub are prolly the two best places close to the Fieldhouse, just down Regent St. Big Ten has a very good fish fry on Friday's. Obviously a lot of places in town farther away from the Fieldhouse. My favorite pre-basketball game place is the Main Depot, a friendly dive bar, off Regent on Main, but several blocks from the Fieldhouse (but closer to the Kohl Center). Always a good pre-game crowd.

Thanks for that tip. We were looking for a good place to eat somewhere within walking distance of the fieldhouse.

Loyl2u

It appears that the first round game against Wisconsin is going to be televised on BTN+( I think there is a 7 day free trial for those that don’t have a subscription), unfortunately, the NCAA television website states that second round will only be televised on BTN+ if Wisconsin advances. Not great provisions for tournament television by NCAA, but great to have the problem of all these teams still playing now.

Adunk33

Staff member
I saw that the student radio station is going to cover the game. 103.3 WZND in BloNo or WZND.com

ISYou

Loyl2u said:
It appears that the first round game against Wisconsin is going to be televised on BTN+( I think there is a 7 day free trial for those that don’t have a subscription), unfortunately, the NCAA television website states that second round will only be televised on BTN+ if Wisconsin advances. Not great provisions for tournament television by NCAA, but great to have the problem of all these teams still playing now.

Good news for people who enjoy Redbird volleyball and free things! The BTN+ stream for all of the NCAA games will be free without a subscription. Here is the link for Redbirds v. Badgers: https://www.btnplus.com/game/ncaa-1st-round-illinois-state-vs-4-wisconsin

I plan to try to watch the earlier game from Madison at 4:30 (ND v. UCLA: https://www.btnplus.com/game/ncaa-1st-round-ucla-vs-notre-dame) to make sure the stream actually works ahead of the 7:00 Redbird match.

Also, I heard through the rumor mill that the second round game will be on the Big Ten Network (as in the actual TV channel) if Wisconsin is in it, but it will still be streamed on BTN+ if the Redbirds pull the upset.

Happy watching and go you Redbirds.

chuckie1980

Clarifying....so BTN+ would be viewable via the website listed by ISYou for free?

Go BIRDS. I think the Birds might be ready for an upset.

MadBird

chuckie1980 said:
Clarifying....so BTN+ would be viewable via the website listed by ISYou for free?

The general mood in Badgerland is "cocky" and "overconfident" (a guy I go to Badger basketball games with who also goes to volleyball gave up his basketball tickets for Saturday early in the week because he "was going to be standing in line to get into the V-ball game Saturday"), but the coach today in the local paper praised the Birds and I'm sure he's trying to get the team to not overlook us. Fussed about us beating Illinois, hanging with Marquette, etc.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
chuckie1980 said:

Yep it says free on the site when you click that link.

chuckie1980

These Redbirds tried. I was hoping for 5 games, at least, but did not happen. Tough NCAA first game match to draw. I like the excitement...but...I wished the match was at a different venue.

ISYou

just saw that Wisconsin swept UCLA today and the Bruins only scored two more total points than we did and never got as close to winning a set as we did in the third. Turns out Wisconsin is pretty good.

chuckie1980

There are not many sports where a conference excels so well collectively for one sport than women's volleyball and the Big10.

It is not difficult to state that the MoValley is strong in volleyball just due to the close competition in the Midwest.

Nebraska used to be one of the strongest focal points of strength in volleyball (along with beach teams).

Top Bottom