MVC POY

CB2K

Who does everyone think should be POY? I realize we have a couple of games left and then the tournament.

Here are some front runners. Any other players that should be considered?

I think it comes down to Milik, Reed Timmer and Alize Johnson. I think MY should get it due to his overall level of play but it will probably go to Alize or Reed because they are 4-year Valley seniors and they do have great numbers as well.

Milik Yarbrough - ISU
16.8 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 4.7 APG

Jordan Barnes - INST
17.2 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 3.7 APG

Reed Timmer - Drake
19.1 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 2.4 APG

Clayton Custer - Loyolla
14.7 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 4.1 APG

Alize Johnson - Mo State
15.5 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 2.5 APG

Armon Fletcher - SIU
14.4 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.9 APG

Brick

I think Yarbrough is the best player in the conference. But since Loyola will likely win the conference Custer will get it.

RedbirdSoxFan

Brick said:
I think Yarbrough is the best player in the conference. But since Loyola will likely win the conference Custer will get it.

Tell that to Rico Hill.

Adunk33

Staff member
Custer resurrected Loyola. As someone mentioned, their W-L record with and without him is astonishing. 

Other awards:
Newcomer of the Year- Milik Yarbrough
Freshman of the Year: Cameron Krutwig (Tywhon Pickford close second)
Most Improved: Phil Fayne or Keyshawn Evans (Bias comes into play with this pick. Matt Hein also could be considered, though his numbers have dropped recently.)
Defensive Player of the Year: Alize Johnson. You can't look past those 12 boards per gam. 
Sixth man: If Graham Woodward is eligible, I'll take him.
COY: If Drake finishes second, Niko, if SIU does, then Barry.

Redbirdfan21

I bet Custer gets it. As mentioned before, best player on the best team gets it MORE OFTEN then not. I believe FVV won it a time or two when his numbers were not conference leading. Cluster’s doesn’t have a stat that jumps out at you, but are solid. But the W/L with and without him can’t be ignored.

Reggie Redbird

Adunk33 said:
Custer resurrected Loyola. As someone mentioned, their W-L record with and without him is astonishing. 

Other awards:
Most Improved: Phil Fayne or Keyshawn Evans (Bias comes into play with this pick. Matt Hein also could be considered, though his numbers have dropped recently.)
Defensive Player of the Year: Alize Johnson. You can't look past those 12 boards per gam. 

I agree with you on POY, NOY, and FOY. I won't get into the other ones besides COY, but the way people vote for that award can be silly. Something like this can and does happen: Valley coaches can be selected preseason #1 and win the award when another coach is picked 8th/9th and finishes 2nd/3rd. I think sometimes they get to the point where certain coaches just won't be picked.

It also depends on what the award is considering - just this season? Or bringing a program up? Considering where they started and where they've come, I would give Porter the award. Niko and Barry are also deserving. Porter could take advantage of those two splitting the "finishing way above preseason pick" space.

DWRedbird

Adunk33 said:

Other awards:

If I had to guess on POY I might give the nod to Johnson despite the lack of success MSU is having. Hard to pass up averaging 15 and 12.

I have to agree with your other awards as well. Though I'd say Most Improved is likely going to be Key, as he jumped his scoring up 10pts a game, and I think regardless Barry is probably going to get COY for what he's had to work with/through and how the team has responded.

BirdsEyeView

DWRedbird said:
Adunk33 said:

Other awards:

If I had to guess on POY I might give the nod to Johnson despite the lack of success MSU is having. Hard to pass up averaging 15 and 12.

I have to agree with your other awards as well. Though I'd say Most Improved is likely going to be Key, as he jumped his scoring up 10pts a game, and I think regardless Barry is probably going to get COY for what he's had to work with/through and how the team has responded.

I believe Woodward starts at pg for Drake. We will find out tonight for sure!

I can't imagine Alize wins POY, given their record.

POY - Custer (2-3 without him in lineup, 21-2 with him in the lineup)
NCOY - Yarbrough
COY - Moser
Defensive POY - Johnson
Sixth Man - Aundre Jackson Loyola

Chicagobirdfan

BirdsEyeView said:
DWRedbird said:
Adunk33 said:

Other awards:

NCOY - Yarbrough
COY - Moser
Defensive POY - Johnson
I totally get that Custers team is in first and their record without him, but his stats are very uninspiring compared to the others. MY has better stats in every statistical category. If I were voting it’s be between Alize, Timmer and MY. If any of those players got hurt, I’m sure their teams would tank as well.

BirdsEyeView

Chicagobirdfan said:
BirdsEyeView said:

NCOY - Yarbrough
COY - Moser
Defensive POY - Johnson
I totally get that Custers team is in first and their record without him, but his stats are very uninspiring compared to the others. MY has better stats in every statistical category. If I were voting it’s be between Alize, Timmer and MY. If any of those players got hurt, I’m sure their teams would tank as well.

Tell that to the voters who kept selecting Fred Van Vleet Player of the Year with less than stellar stats. Not always about your numbers....intangibles, +/- and leadership play a role. If it were all about numbers, then the Evansville rotating scorer of the year would constantly win (Ryan Taylor, Jaylon Brown, DJ Balentine, Colt Ryan, etc.).

DWRedbird

BirdsEyeView said:
Chicagobirdfan said:
BirdsEyeView said:

NCOY - Yarbrough
COY - Moser
Defensive POY - Johnson

Tell that to the voters who kept selecting Fred Van Vleet Player of the Year with less than stellar stats. Not always about your numbers....intangibles, +/- and leadership play a role. If it were all about numbers, then the Evansville rotating scorer of the year would constantly win (Ryan Taylor, Jaylon Brown, DJ Balentine, Colt Ryan, etc.).

I think if Johnson doesn't win POY it will be Custer, and I think the voting will be very close between the two, regardless of how bad MSU is doing. I give the nod to Johnson statically speaking, but Custer from an importance to the team perspective.

Manchester Matt

Chicagobirdfan said:
BirdsEyeView said:
DWRedbird said:

NCOY - Yarbrough
COY - Moser
Defensive POY - Johnson

His stats are very similar to Paris’ from last year.

I understand some guys have better stats in some categories. However, Custer is shooting a whopping 56 percent from the floor and 49 percent from the arc, so I add those in.

Loyola has been pretty dominant in the league, and he makes them go. It’s a no-brainer to me.

ISU will get plenty of love In the awards. I imagine MY is a first teamer and obviously will win NOY, and Keyshawn (possible most improved) and Fayne will get second team or honorable mention status.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Tournament doesn't count in POY. They announce it right before the tournament. So it's just these last two games.

Custer or Timmer.

cpacmel

It's doubt it's going to be Timmer. He's one dimensional (Scoring). If that's the case just give it to Ryan Taylor. It should be between Custer, Johnson and Milik.

Redbirds4Life

cpacmel said:
It's doubt it's going to be Timmer. He's one dimensional (Scoring). If that's the case just give it to Ryan Taylor. It should be between Custer, Johnson and Milik.

I think Milik would have a much better shot at winning the PoY if he didn't have the run-in with the courts, followed by two pretty bad games. Assuming that most beat writers in the MVC aren't watching every game, ISU did have 2 games on tv after the run-in with the courts and he rode the struggle bus in both. More attention on you for the wrong reasons, followed by two bad games. I would imagine that those will stick out to most voters when considering Milik.

Baltimore Bird

I have watched a fair # of games besides ISU games. I will go with Timmer as my choice but expect the kid from Loyola to win.

Top Bottom