UIC0-2
Valparaiso0-2
Evansville0-2

Games:

Wed 12/7/22

Indiana St 74 @ SIU 71 (7 pm, ESPN+)

Last edited:

Redbird222

My guess is either SIU or Yrees must have has contractual commitment this weekend thst they could not have move. MVC moved their game from weekend to mid week

Baltimore Bird

I am guessing at least one them had a committed game last weekend. This game gets everyone to 2 MVC games.

Redbird222

Bradley won by two. Up two Bradley intentionally missed FT. SiUE gets rebound and calls time out with .6 seconds. SiUE throws length of court .. ball is deflected and SIUE players slaps ball behind FT line and it goes in but time just expired

Redbirdfan76

Hi 222. It did not seem like Hickman was looking to miss that last free throw, but it could have been. Why not miss the first one? A long prayer shot beats you either way. Maybe he was trying to miss the first one and goofed on it!!😀😀🥴🥴

On another note , SIU E will be a tough team for the Birds to beat in Horton. Impressed with their aggressive play. We will really need to be careful with the basketball which has not been a strength so far this season.

Redbird222

I didn't realize until yesterday the the SIUE head coach was Brian Barone. He is the son of Tony, played at Marquette, and his first assistant coach's job was none other than Illinois State under Porter.

We had to endure watching 4 frustrating Porter lead seasons at ISU only to have him return to coach against ISU at least twice (sometimes 3x) a year and reap havoc on us. We have seen the success Jans had at New Mexico St and now is off to a great 8 -0 start at Mississppi St.

Now after almost 2 years of peace and not having to see a in person reminder, another member of that staff, Barone who is coaching a somewhat successful 7-3 team, is coming to Normal. SIUE competed very well against Bradley. I don't need to see another Moser story on Saturday and find out how much Barone liked his time at ISU but has grown so much since leaving us.

BTW the 4th memeber of that staff, Daniyal Robinson, is now the head coach at Cleveland St and is off to good start at 7- 3 and 2-0 in the Horizon for his inaugural season as head coach. He inherited a program from Gates that had done very well the past 2 years and we will see if he can sustain it.

A lot of this is written with tongue and cheek but it is amazing what that staff has accomplished since leaving Normal versus what results were obtained while at ISU. It is fair to say that the staff collectively was inexperienced back then ... two first time assistants, one with experience at JUCO and D2, and a head coach that had yet to master his craft. They have done quite well collectively since then.

Adunk33

Staff member
I didn't realize until yesterday the the SIUE head coach was Brian Barone. He is the son of Tony, played at Marquette, and his first assistant coach's job was none other than Illinois State under Porter.

We had to endure watching 4 frustrating Porter lead seasons at ISU only to have him return to coach against ISU at least twice (sometimes 3x) a year and reap havoc on us. We have seen the success Jans had at New Mexico St and now is off to a great 8 -0 start at Mississppi St.

Now after almost 2 years of peace and not having to see a in person reminder, another member of that staff, Barone who is coaching a somewhat successful 7-3 team, is coming to Normal. SIUE competed very well against Bradley. I don't need to see another Moser story on Saturday and find out how much Barone liked his time at ISU but has grown so much since leaving us.

BTW the 4th memeber of that staff, Daniyal Robinson, is now the head coach at Cleveland St and is off to good start at 7- 3 and 2-0 in the Horizon for his inaugural season as head coach. He inherited a program from Gates that had done very well the past 2 years and we will see if he can sustain it.

A lot of this is written with tongue and cheek but it is amazing what that staff has accomplished since leaving Normal versus what results were obtained while at ISU. It is fair to say that the staff collectively was inexperienced back then ... two first time assistants, one with experience at JUCO and D2, and a head coach that had yet to master his craft. They have done quite well collectively since then.
The same could be say for Muller's coaching tree. Collins HC at Tenn State, Dana at Mo State, Yak at UIC, Oliver still on the bench at Wisky, Brian Jones is at Bradley, Tony Wills and Brendan Mullins at SIU, Belcher at Jax State, DeAndre Haynes at Marquette.

There's been quite a bit of talent on ISU's bench over the years.

Redbird222

Here is the play. You need to watch all the camera shots to pice this together. BTW ... ISU ESPN camera folks look like superstars compared to SIUE

Baltimore Bird

Tough weekend for the MVC. Drake lost by 30 today at Richmond. That likely kills their at-large chances if they had any.
Belmont lost at home to Middle TN.

CaliRdBrd

Good win for ISU. Weak schedule, but I like what I’m seeing. That said, the best team in our conference (Drake) got hammered by 30 points to Richmond?
This conference….

Baltimore Bird

PU won by 28 at Missouri State. I see them as the favorite. Indiana St and Drake will be up there too.
4th thru 10th is wide open, IMO. I see UIC and Evansville as #11 and #12.

Top Bottom