Murray State to Missouri Valley

MadBird

Here's an interesting article from the Springfield MO paper, written about Belmont joining MVC and what it means for Missouri State. But there's some good info in here, some of which I never heard (maybe some of you had, but are in the loop more than I). Mentions other candidates. Says there's an "expansion committee" of the MVC which was working on recruiting new schools. Mentions the possibility of MO ST moving up to FBS.

Not clear in the Murray State stuff if football is "included" and they get into the MVFC?? Anyone read anything about that? Did I just miss it? Maybe assumed?

Adunk33

Staff member
Here's an interesting article from the Springfield MO paper, written about Belmont joining MVC and what it means for Missouri State. But there's some good info in here, some of which I never heard (maybe some of you had, but are in the loop more than I). Mentions other candidates. Says there's an "expansion committee" of the MVC which was working on recruiting new schools. Mentions the possibility of MO ST moving up to FBS.

Not clear in the Murray State stuff if football is "included" and they get into the MVFC?? Anyone read anything about that? Did I just miss it? Maybe assumed?
As I understand it, the MVC and MVFC are separate entities. They operate outside of each other. Western, Youngstown, the Dakotas, none of them are in for basketball. Just like Drake and Valpo aren’t for football. The Belmont and Murray State additions are for all sports outside of football.

I love this addition. It just makes sense. I look forward to the 12 team conference tournament where we’ll now have a full slate on Thursdays with the top 4 getting a bye to Friday. This could also solidify STL as the host site. Murray is only a little over 3 hours and Belmont is about 4.5, so the location seems to remain the most centralized.

Excellent job by new commissioner Jackson to move The Valley forward with something that a lot of fans have wanted for a long time.

Something that will challenge the league a little more with these additions is scheduling noncon games. Murray often plays 2+ MVC schools every year and Belmont seems to have one on the schedule. Muller mentioned in his presser with the add of Belmont, he won’t have to get on the phone and ask for a h/h every year now. It’ll be the same for Murray.

MadBird

As I understand it, the MVC and MVFC are separate entities. They operate outside of each other. Western, Youngstown, the Dakotas, none of them are in for basketball. Just like Drake and Valpo aren’t for football. The Belmont and Murray State additions are for all sports outside of football.
Yeah, sure, I know that, I've pointed that out on various threads over time. What I said was, it wasn't clear whether MSU is getting it's football into the MVFC. Haven't seen anything about that. I assume they need a home for FB. I wonder if the separate entity that is MVFC is looking at taking in MSU.

TBS_20

Wichita is getting screwed now colorado state and air force are saying no to the aac. Nothing makes me happier than Wichita getting straight ****ed.
Although it's a possibility they go to the mountain west now if Gonzaga does

Redbird Alum 2004

I love this addition. It just makes sense. I look forward to the 12 team conference tournament where we’ll now have a full slate on Thursdays with the top 4 getting a bye to Friday. This could also solidify STL as the host site. Murray is only a little over 3 hours and Belmont is about 4.5, so the location seems to remain the most centralized.

Excellent job by new commissioner Jackson to move The Valley forward with something that a lot of fans have wanted for a long time.

Something that will challenge the league a little more with these additions is scheduling noncon games. Murray often plays 2+ MVC schools every year and Belmont seems to have one on the schedule. Muller mentioned in his presser with the add of Belmont, he won’t have to get on the phone and ask for a h/h every year now. It’ll be the same for Murray.
I wonder if this will be enough to open up the upper bowl in St Louis. Adding these two teams are great for the conference and bad for my liver in St Louis. I know Murray State will travel. I hope moving into the MVC will create a buzz in Nashville. My guess is it won't but it would be nice.

DoubleDeuce

I wonder if this will be enough to open up the upper bowl in St Louis. Adding these two teams are great for the conference and bad for my liver in St Louis. I know Murray State will travel. I hope moving into the MVC will create a buzz in Nashville. My guess is it won't but it would be nice.
Dude, you really want that upper bowl open just to get as far away from me as you can?

TBS_20

Someone on shockernet is saying second best option behind mwc is the Valley if the AAC adds a bunch of crap basketball schools which appears likely. They don't seem to want the A-10. Big East isn't realistic yet.

gobirds85

Just a thought...would UIC have been a better choice? Does Murray St really bring that much to the table?

I'll hang up now and await your response.

Seven

Just a thought...would UIC have been a better choice? Does Murray St really bring that much to the table?

Murray St has had 3 teams win NCAA Tournament games since 2010 — all with different cores. They’ve had 2 top-25 teams in that timespan, one that reached #7 in the AP Poll.

Murray ends up top-3 in the MVC if you do KenPom averages going back 5 and 10 years.

It’s a terrific addition that had 30 straight winning seasons until a couple down years recently.

Also, their fan base travels very well. They bring 3-4k fans to the OVC Tournament. We need that at Arch Madness.

They’re an excellent cultural fit in this league.

gobirds85

Murray St has had 3 teams win NCAA Tournament games since 2010 — all with different cores. They’ve had 2 top-25 teams in that timespan, one that reached #7 in the AP Poll.

Murray ends up top-3 in the MVC if you do KenPom averages going back 5 and 10 years.

It’s a terrific addition that had 30 straight winning seasons until a couple down years recently.

Also, their fan base travels very well. They bring 3-4k fans to the OVC Tournament. We need that at Arch Madness.

They’re an excellent cultural fit in this league.

How much of this was Ja Morant? Just looking for justification.

Seven

How much of this was Ja Morant? Just looking for justification.
2018 & 2019 were Ja Morant. They defeated Marquette in the 2019 NCAA Tournament. So if you take those 2 seasons away, Murray St has done this since 2010:

2 teams who’ve won NCAA Tournament games
2 teams who ended the regular season top-25 (one peaked at #7, the other missed the tournament)

Redbird222

Yes, Murray has much better reputation, historical success getting to NCAA, getting coaches to the next level , and even getting some players to NBA. They also have a much stronger following than than UIC which a large percentage of the students commute to school. A couple potential downsides of Murray are I am not sure how it helps the TV market (Murray is small) and the closest airports are Paducah and Nashville for those teams thst choose to fly.

TBS_20

Yes, Murray has much better reputation, historical success getting to NCAA, getting coaches to the next level , and even getting some players to NBA. They also have a much stronger following than than UIC which a large percentage of the students commute to school. A couple potential downsides of Murray are I am not sure how it helps the TV market (Murray is small) and the closest airports are Paducah and Nashville for those teams thst choose to fly.
Can't someone just build a goddamn landing strip. Asphalt and paint.

Top Bottom