Murray State Football to MVFC?

Adunk33

Staff member
Murray State is joining the Missouri Valley Conference and football is currently being vetted to join the MVFC as early as July 2023.

Could the conference be headed toward divisions with 12 teams?

I've read a handful of Murray State fans who are a little skeptical of the move for football and worry their team isn't ready to compete in the MVFC. Since 2016, the Racers are 0-4 against the MVFC (SIU and Mo State) by a combined score of 155-70. SIU and Mo State were not necessarily world beaters at the time, though much improved over the last couple seasons.

Last edited:

Redbird222

Murray State is joining the Missouri Valley Conference and football is currently being vetted to join the MVFC as early as July 2023.

Could the conference be headed toward divisions with 12 teams?

I think there is a chance Western Illinois moves to OVC and MVFC works out essentially as a swap.

ISU86

I think there is a chance Western Illinois moves to OVC and MVFC works out essentially as a swap.
Agreed. OVC in desperate need of football numbers. Question for WIU will be if MVFC/Summit is better/worse than OVC. Probably a better fit for all other sports minus football (as that sport for the OVC is on very shaky ground).

The Leathernecks could be a force in OVC football.

Adunk33

Staff member
Agreed. OVC in desperate need of football numbers. Question for WIU will be if MVFC/Summit is better/worse than OVC. Probably a better fit for all other sports minus football (as that sport for the OVC is on very shaky ground).

The Leathernecks could be a force in OVC football.
I could see an all-sports move for WIU as well. Their basketball program has performed surprisingly well under new HC Rob Jeter.

MadBird

It'll be interesting to see what happens at WIU. On one hand, they made the playoffs as recently as 2017 (first round) and 2015 (to the second round). And also with an 8-5 record in 2010. On the other hand, those are their only winning seasons since 2009 - 13 seasons! The budget issues rocked them, no doubt, so not sure how they'll bounce back. If hoops is bouncing back - :ROFLMAO: - why not football? They have a storied history in FB, especially in the MVFC/Gateway. But if they got back with EIU and with SeMO, etc., would that be a better long term fit? Complicated.

ISUBird

I think WIU might wait to see if OVC football is not sponsored anymore then move their Olympic sports over so they can stay in the MVFC.

Dmills

I think a swap would be very attractive, but probably unlikely (WIU/MSU)

I don't want to hate on WIU, but their facilities are a bit out of date and I do think it could potentially be a good move for them to join the OVC. They have also been a bottom tier team in the MVFC most years so a move might make sense. There are obviously other more complicated factors like WIU being in the Summit for other sports and if the OVC would be attractive for them. Personally, I think it would be a decent move for them but the OVC lacks stability right now so it could be risky.

I think Murray State is pretty similar to WIU in football which is why I'd prefer a swap. Their facilities seem a little bit better, but still would be bottom 3 in the conference. They are an average OVC team and a move to the MVFC should make them into a better program. They also seem very committed to improving their facilities (recently announced renovations/upgrades for basketball, baseball, others?) and I am sure they are willing to do what it takes to join the MVFC.

On the other hand, assuming there is no swap (probably the most realistic scenario), the conference should probably split into 2 divisions of 6 teams. I'm not sure how the division would be formed. If it is geographically, there is a good chance for imbalance. The 4 Dakota schools would be in the same division, along with Northern Iowa, and maybe Western Illinois. That would leave the second division with Missouri St., SIU, Illinois St., Indiana St., YSU, Murray St. It is not horrible, but NDSU, SDSU, and UNI are typically the top 3 teams in the conference. We would also potentially lose a great rivalry with UNI. The 2 divisions of 6 teams would make for easy scheduling. Play the 5 other teams from your division every year and then alternate 3 teams from the opposite division every year.

The move for Murray St. to MVFC seems likely at this point. I am not necessarily opposed to it, and it would be quite courteous of the MVFC to allow them to join (considering how much Murray St. is going to improve the MVC). But there are also different teams with different goals in the MVFC (I personally don't know the approval/invitation process). I would doubt that the MVFC is as eager to expand or make change as the MVC has been. I was slightly skeptical of the UND move just because I wasn't sure how they would adjust to the league, but they have fit in perfectly. Murray St. is not quite the program UND was, however.

Basically, I'd be fine with Murray State joining, but I do have some concerns about how they would adjust and how their addition might water down the league. I think the divisons model would be interesting and I think it would be more appealing than the rotating opponents model they have currently.

StLRedbird

FCS playoff system does not allow for a conference championship game, right? Even if the conference went to 12 teams, it might not split into divisions. The tie breaker for the auto bid will be complicated in either case.

ISU86

FCS playoff system does not allow for a conference championship game, right? Even if the conference went to 12 teams, it might not split into divisions. The tie breaker for the auto bid will be complicated in either case.
Could the conference have a regular season with nine games and have game nine be a TBD going in ... then after game eight, pair the same place teams in each division (E1 v W1, E2 v W2, ...)? Alternate the guest/host teams every other year between the East/West divisions (even years East host game nine, odd years West host game nine)?

MadBird

Could the conference have a regular season with nine games and have game nine be a TBD going in ... then after game eight, pair the same place teams in each division (E1 v W1, E2 v W2, ...)? Alternate the guest/host teams every other year between the East/West divisions (even years East host game nine, odd years West host game nine)?
This was done by DIII Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference this year - fewer games, but had a "championship week", where the two division leaders faced off for the automatic playoff bid (they had already played earlier in the year), and the other teams matched up with their "placemates".

StLRedbird

I think this idea is cool and fun. Lotsa angles... If a division felt it were stronger, it could even the score in the final games. Rivalries might be goosed. Having the East home one year and West home the next allows for a predictable number of home and away games.

So, eight conference games. You play all five in your division, plus two from the other. Final game is with your peer from the other division.

Here's a link to the MVC thread on the Murray board. Fast forward to page 22/24ish to get to more current events. This has been quite a saga from their perspective.

Murray to the MVC thread

ISU86

I think this idea is cool and fun. Lotsa angles... If a division felt it were stronger, it could even the score in the final games. Rivalries might be goosed. Having the East home one year and West home the next allows for a predictable number of home and away games.

So, eight conference games. You play all five in your division, plus two from the other. Final game is with your peer from the other division.

Here's a link to the MVC thread on the Murray board. Fast forward to page 22/24ish to get to more current events. This has been quite a saga from their perspective.

Murray to the MVC thread
Well, originally thought nine, but eight gives more non-conference flexibility (since we generally use two already on Eastern Illinois and a FBS). All five within the division, with a rotating two/three of six from the other - plus the last crossover game (based on division placement).

EAST: Illinois State, Indiana State, Murray State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown State
WEST: Missouri State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State

Two game cross-over division games would switch every two years (Missouri State/South Dakota State, Northern Iowa/North Dakota State, South Dakota/North Dakota). Our divisional groups could be Illinois State/Youngstown State, Indiana State/Southern Illinois, Western Illinois/Murray State).

StLRedbird

Well, originally thought nine, but eight gives more non-conference flexibility (since we generally use two already on Eastern Illinois and a FBS). All five within the division, with a rotating two/three of six from the other - plus the last crossover game (based on division placement).

EAST: Illinois State, Indiana State, Murray State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown State
WEST: Missouri State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State

Two game cross-over division games would switch every two years (Missouri State/South Dakota State, Northern Iowa/North Dakota State, South Dakota/North Dakota). Our divisional groups could be Illinois State/Youngstown State, Indiana State/Southern Illinois, Western Illinois/Murray State).
I just went with 8 games because that's how many we play now. 8 or 9 game slate, I think it's still a good idea. Could add some drama to a mid-November game that usually doesn't put a ton of butts into seats.

glenn_ma

With the OVC circling the drain we should be ready to pick up two teams. 2 to keep the regional balance.
SEMO and EIU. With the financial budget issues colleges are facing they need to look at reducing travel costs. I'm also a fan of regional rivalries which should help increase game attendance.
14 teams makes for a good regional mix. 7 teams, 3 home games and 3 away. We can just copy the big 10 and SEC scheduling schemes.

With the addition of the Dakotas, I think it makes sense for Drake to rejoin the conference. Again, based on travel cost and regional rivalries. On the same note, with the addition of the Dakotas, I think it best if YSU moves on to a conference out east. Pick up Drake and YSU moves on, much more consolidated conference.
YSU has been great in the conference, but it is just time for them to move on.
With the ASUN expanding we need to be more aggressive too. It would be a shame if SEMO slides to another conference.

Total Red

Staff member
With the OVC circling the drain we should be ready to pick up two teams. 2 to keep the regional balance.
SEMO and EIU. With the financial budget issues colleges are facing they need to look at reducing travel costs. I'm also a fan of regional rivalries which should help increase game attendance.
14 teams makes for a good regional mix. 7 teams, 3 home games and 3 away. We can just copy the big 10 and SEC scheduling schemes.

With the addition of the Dakotas, I think it makes sense for Drake to rejoin the conference. Again, based on travel cost and regional rivalries. On the same note, with the addition of the Dakotas, I think it best if YSU moves on to a conference out east. Pick up Drake and YSU moves on, much more consolidated conference.
YSU has been great in the conference, but it is just time for them to move on.
With the ASUN expanding we need to be more aggressive too. It would be a shame if SEMO slides to another conference.
I've always liked regional rivalries and keeping travel to a minimum, but I don't see too many AD making decisions with those factors as priorities. Loyola going to the A10 is the most recent example of that. The main factors appear to be quality of play (which increases media opportunities) and a similar institutional outlook. YSU is a poor geographic fit, but they are a good football school. The Penguins have played for the FCS championship more recently than we have, 2016-17. They've had their challenges since then but that happens in the MVFC. You need to have an outstanding team to just finish .500 or above in conference. YSU still has impressive facilities and tradition. They could bounce back at any time. I don't see EIU or Drake holding their own in the Valley. SEMO possibly. Murray St. might be ok, but I would only add more teams after them if it is a really good fit. It's more about quality than quantity.

Dmills

Pretty happy about this move. I don't like the fact that we are currently not scheduled to play Southern for next two years. Hopefully we can slot them in when the schedule is refreshed for 2024

DaveBird10

Pretty happy about this move. I don't like the fact that we are currently not scheduled to play Southern for next two years. Hopefully we can slot them in when the schedule is refreshed for 2024
My question and only concern is will be start doing non-conference with EIU and WIU both now to keep that rivalry going.

Top Bottom