Muller's recruiting trip

DWRedbird

Thanks for sharing that!

I loved hearing that Taylor might start getting shots up soon, and how quickly Ricky is recovering.

Also a great shout out to PLee.

Trey_Guidry4three

That is some cool insight. I do wonder, though, what type of player is Dan looking for? Some of the video makes it sound like we get players via tinder style.

jamminjamarsmiley

I really appreciate the openness Muller shared in this video. Probably pretty common to those in the basketball coaching circles, but good to hear him explain his off-season schedule to those of us with less insights into the recruiting trail.

Also, go P lee. I don't watch summer league games, but he was one of my favorite ISU players of recent memory.

I wonder though what is the differentiator for ISU? From what I can tell, Dan is simply heading to gyms to watch guys he wants to recruit, or to identify potential recruits, then he starts making phone calls. Maybe this is the norm. When I see Dana Ford reeling in 4* recruits it makes me wonder if there can be better tactics to get better talent into Normal. Just my 2 cents.

Adunk33

Trey_Guidry4three said:
That is some cool insight. I do wonder, though, what type of player is Dan looking for? Some of the video makes it sound like we get players via tinder style.

Look at the recruiting board. We offered a bunch of guys last weekend. That’ll be your answer. Checking out our verbal commits page would help too.

Trey_Guidry4three

Adunk33 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:

Look at the recruiting board. We offered a bunch of guys last weekend. That’ll be your answer. Checking out our verbal commits page would help too.

Maybe I wasn't clear when I asked about "type" of player. Based on his track record and tenure here at ISU I still don't know how he defines this or what he is looking for. Convict, defensive type player, goes to church twice a week, etc. That type of answer can't be found on some cracker jack website.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Adunk33 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:

Maybe I wasn't clear when I asked about "type" of player. Based on his track record and tenure here at ISU I still don't know how he defines this or what he is looking for. Convict, defensive type player, goes to church twice a week, etc. That type of answer can't be found on some cracker jack website.

And why would it matter if you knew the "type" of player to you? Your first example suggests you don't think Muller can recruit. So any recruit will be suspect in your view, and we'll be sure to be blessed with your "insight".

And it seems you have little respect for recruiting sites, since you apparently consider your recruiting acumen so much better. FWIW, Verbal Commits is an aggregator of recruiting info, and is--honestly--a good resource to begin research on a player.

Maybe you can start your own recruiting service . . . and coaching service . . . and admin service.

ricohill

What I found interesting was the strategy to send all the coaches to the southeast. I wonder if that is because that is where most of the guys we are recruiting are at or because you only get one weekend to go out this summer and figure you get a chance to see the players in the midwest at other times during the season?

This new recruiting setup seems great for Power 5 coaches (and elite high school players), but hurts mid-majors and high school kids that aren't the top end prospects.

ChiRedbirdfan

ricohill said:
What I found interesting was the strategy to send all the coaches to the southeast. I wonder if that is because that is where most of the guys we are recruiting are at or because you only get one weekend to go out this summer and figure you get a chance to see the players in the midwest at other times during the season?

This new recruiting setup seems great for Power 5 coaches (and elite high school players), but hurts mid-majors and high school kids that aren't the top end prospects.
All of the big shoe companies had their major national championship event in the southeast...Nike at Augusta, UA in Atlanta and adidas in Birmingham. Top talent from all over the country was in that region. Lots of D1 talent at all levels of D1 (high, low, mid) were there and universities (their coaching staff) that receive endorsement money from the respective shoe companies should rightfully show up, IMO

ricohill

A good article on the weekend from an anonymous mid-major coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lunch-is-for-cowards-inside-the-grind-of-a-day-recruiting-at-the-peach-jam-alongside-a-mid-major-coach/

ChiRedbirdfan

ChiRedbirdfan said:
ricohill said:

. All of the big shoe companies had their major national championship event in the southeast...Nike at Augusta, UA in Atlanta and adidas in Birmingham. Top talent from all over the country was in that region. Lots of D 1 talent at all levels of D1 (high, low, mid) were there and universities that are sponsored by those respective companies and receive endorsement money should rightfully show up, IMO

SgtHulka

ricohill said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lunch-is-for-cowards-inside-the-grind-of-a-day-recruiting-at-the-peach-jam-alongside-a-mid-major-coach/

Very good read. What a lifestyle. :hand:

BTbird

ricohill said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
3:15 p.m.: A rival head coach from our coach's conference walks by.

"If his house burned down there'd be 11 suspects," our coach says. "He's that guy."

College basketball's coaching fraternity has as widespread of a net with more connections and congeniality than you'll find in any sport. But there are still black sheep, and this coach is evidently one of them. Many any enemy. Go ahead, get your guesses in.

Redbird222

ricohill said:

My hypothesis was SE because of our past success in thst region (Florida, Georgia, NC) and ability to see Midwest players throughout the year ... although there were some Midwest teams in these tournaments.

Muller stated he wants a fan of the change ... perhaps for the same reasons you expressed.

Trey_Guidry4three

Bird Friend said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Adunk33 said:

And why would it matter if you knew the "type" of player to you? Your first example suggests you don't think Muller can recruit. So any recruit will be suspect in your view, and we'll be sure to be blessed with your "insight".

And it seems you have little respect for recruiting sites, since you apparently consider your recruiting acumen so much better. FWIW, Verbal Commits is an aggregator of recruiting info, and is--honestly--a good resource to begin research on a player.

Maybe you can start your own recruiting service . . . and coaching service . . . and admin service.

I find it comical that people just go off on this board if anything about ISU or Dan Muller is slightly questioned. I'd venture to guess my expectation of good recruiting is much different than yours. Maybe I should write an assume that I know all about you. Oh, wait, I know. You like mediocrity and "trust" in the system Dan has in place that produces mvc titles and ncaa births
The one where we have guys stay 4 years...heck 2 years. The one where there is domestic violence, poor academics and juco transfers that can't shoot a 15 foot jumper or play defense. Never mind me "Birdfriend". I guess I have no reason to question why "type" of player Dan Muller tries to recruit because it is very clear of that year in and year out, up and down the roster.

TIMMY

Trey_Guidry4three said:
Bird Friend said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:

I find it comical that people just go off on this board if anything about ISU or Dan Muller is slightly questioned. I'd venture to guess my expectation of good recruiting is much different than yours. Maybe I should write an assume that I know all about you. Oh, wait, I know. You like mediocrity and "trust" in the system Dan has in place that produces mvc titles and ncaa births
The one where we have guys stay 4 years...heck 2 years. The one where there is domestic violence, poor academics and juco transfers that can't shoot a 15 foot jumper or play defense. Never mind me "Birdfriend". I guess I have no reason to question why "type" of player Dan Muller tries to recruit because it is very clear of that year in and year out, up and down the roster.
bf019cc15b32d976580966439f428369--crazy-funny-too-funny.jpg

Bird Friend

Staff member
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Bird Friend said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:

I find it comical that people just go off on this board if anything about ISU or Dan Muller is slightly approved. I'd venture to guess my expectation of good recruiting is much different than yours. Maybe I should write that I know all about you. Oh, wait, I know. You like negativity and "trust" that constant griping/whining on a fan board produces mvc titles and ncaa births.

You know, a fan board where people don't go into histrionics very season, where the sky won't fall because of a loss, where not every issue is blamed on the administration, where fans don't assume they know best. I guess I have no reason to question your approach on a fan board because it's very clear that your approach has worked year in and year out.

Hamdonger

SgtHulka said:
ricohill said:

Very good read. What a lifestyle. :hand:

I love athletics. Love basketball. But the process of getting to see a kid on any floor by the time the college season rolls around...it's a sick and twisted process, a sick business. My youngest is a sharp shooting hs sophomore but there are times when I want to take his basketballs and tell him to just go be a kid for a week sans the damn basketball. I told him that, this week, to get away from the game for a while and he just looked at me like I was nuts.

Back to topic...this article is also a very good reminder that recruiting is HARD. Might as well be looking at cattle.

Trey_Guidry4three

Bird Friend said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Bird Friend said:

I find it comical that people just go off on this board if anything about ISU or Dan Muller is slightly approved. I'd venture to guess my expectation of good recruiting is much different than yours. Maybe I should write that I know all about you. Oh, wait, I know. You like negativity and "trust" that constant griping/whining on a fan board produces mvc titles and ncaa births.

You know, a fan board where people don't go into histrionics very season, where the sky won't fall because of a loss, where not every issue is blamed on the administration, where fans don't assume they know best. I guess I have no reason to question your approach on a fan board because it's very clear that your approach has worked year in and year out.

:text-+1: very original. So you get to review every fans opinion about the program and throw yourself down with a temper tantrum if its different than yours or ISU is questioned. Let me guess.... oh wait I no I dont want to go there.

Top Bottom