https://twitter.com/_plee1/status/1243893520345284608

SgtHulka

Bird Friend said:
Right now Paris is looking for his luggage:

https://twitter.com/_plee1/status/1243893520345284608

Thanks Muller

ILLST25

https://twitter.com/redbird_mbb/status/1249768891485650944?s=21

I miss Jackie - just a phenomenal redbird. It’s crazy to think about just how loaded the valley was during his years here.

ILLST25

I miss Jackie - just a phenomenal redbird. It’s crazy to think about just how loaded the valley was during his years here.

Adunk33

Staff member
Jackie was awesome. One of my favorite memories of him was going into McAlisters over the summer when Muller got hired. I had met him before and he invited me over to have lunch with him. Had a great conversation for an hour while I grilled him about the team for the next season. He even ended up coming to watch me coach my high school's "student vs staff" team.

I wonder if Muller can use guys like Jackie, Tony, and Paris during recruiting to show a recruit if he stays all four years how much he is enamored by the Redbird faithful. It'd be an interesting strategy but I'm sure he's more worried about getting the kids on campus for next year vs years three and four. (Not a slam on him, just the landscape of college hoops).

JHBird

Unfortunately I started following ISU basketball the year after Jackie left. What a great guy. Wish we could find another like him for next year.

Baltimore Bird

What a great interview and a quality man. I started following the Redbirds closely in 1976. Jackie is definitely in my top 5 of guys I enjoyed watching. I just loved his effort and attitude and of course his talent.

Jackie's interview was labeled as #3. I saw the P Lee interview. Who was the other one? Thank you.

Adunk33

Staff member
Baltimore Bird said:
Jackie's interview was labeled as #3. I saw the P Lee interview. Who was the other one? Thank you.

It was with the academic coordinator. Some interesting insights to a day in the life of a student athlete. https://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=11523&sport=4&type=Archive

ILLST25

https://twitter.com/redbird_mbb/status/1252358460148035587?s=21

RedbirdSoxFan

ILLST25 said:

I despise Wichita State fans. For many reasons. One is that they are classless (well, most of them). They showed how classless they were in St Louis when the tournament game between Wichita State and Illinois State was just about over. The Shockers were going to win the game. I’m a little bias toward Redbird player’s, but in my opinion Jackie was one of the top player’s the MVC had playing during his four years at Illinois State. He represented his school, and the Valley, with the highest of class. With the game almost over, Jackie fouled out. What did the Shocker fans do? They booed him the entire walk from under the Wichita basket to the Redbird bench. This man deserved a standing ovation from everyone in that arena.

Redbirdfan21

RedbirdSoxFan said:
ILLST25 said:

I despise Wichita State fans. For many reasons. One is that they are classless (well, most of them). They showed how classless they were in St Louis when the tournament game between Wichita State and Illinois State was just about over. The Shockers were going to win the game. I’m a little bias toward Redbird player’s, but in my opinion Jackie was one of the top player’s the MVC had playing during his four years at Illinois State. He represented his school, and the Valley, with the highest of class. With the game almost over, Jackie fouled out. What did the Shocker fans do? They booed him the entire walk from under the Wichita basket to the Redbird bench. This man deserved a standing ovation from everyone in that arena.

They still think he karate kicked Cotton on purpose.... which is laughable...

RedbirdSoxFan

Redbirdfan21 said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
ILLST25 said:

They still think he karate kicked Cotton on purpose.... which is laughable...

Yeah, pretty sure if JC would have wanted to karate kick him intentionally, TC would have never gotten up. Bogus call by the ref! Right up there with the offensive foul on JC when he postered the Louisville player, and the invisible elbow to the face call on Ekey against Louisville!

Hamdonger

Got to hand it to the ole Gregg'orio. He stole one right there. Dan why didn't you just flatten the guy in those back corridors, anyway? Tell me, how many of you were in Redbird that night?

TheTruth

Adunk33 said:
It'd be an interesting strategy but I'm sure he's more worried about getting the kids on campus for next year vs years three and four. (Not a slam on him, just the landscape of college hoops).

There are going to be dark times ahead for college basketball if these "free agency" trends continue.

DWRedbird

Humdinger said:
Got to hand it to the ole Gregg'orio. He stole one right there. Dan why didn't you just flatten the guy in those back corridors, anyway? Tell me, how many of you were in Redbird that night?

Was there, front row right behind the WSU fans and bench. The kick was a bad call, even worse because Gregg didnt see it much like the officials, and one of the assistants told him to look at it on the monitor.

When the call was made and bird fans started booing, Jans immediately turned and started jawing at us and flipping us all off. One of the balls that went into the student section was thrown down on the court and managed to bounce and hit one of the other couch's foot, which sparked Gregg's wife and several other WSU fans to start the lie that Redbird fans were throwing coins at them (they weren't as I would have gotten hit). After the game Jans kept trying to taunt us, and then had words with Ford. Fans booed the refs pretty heavily and I know several followed them to the tunnel to continue yelling at them.

I sat behind the bench for a long time, and seen a lot of fanbases come through, and WSU fans were among the worst. So was Greg McDermott's brother who wanted to fight me no less than 3 times, and SIU fans in their hey day who loved to dish it out but couldn't take it and who would try to goad us fans all game and then as soon as we spoke to them would try to get admins to toss us (it didn't work).

Hamdonger

DWRedbird said:
Humdinger said:

Was there, front row right behind the WSU fans and bench. The kick was a bad call, even worse because Gregg didnt see it much like the officials, and one of the assistants told him to look at it on the monitor.

When the call was made and bird fans started booing, Jans immediately turned and started jawing at us and flipping us all off. One of the balls that went into the student section was thrown down on the court and managed to bounce and hit one of the other couch's foot, which sparked Gregg's wife and several other WSU fans to start the lie that Redbird fans were throwing coins at them (they weren't as I would have gotten hit). After the game Jans kept trying to taunt us, and then had words with Ford. Fans booed the refs pretty heavily and I know several followed them to the tunnel to continue yelling at them.

I sat behind the bench for a long time, and seen a lot of fanbases come through, and WSU fans were among the worst. So was Greg McDermott's brother who wanted to fight me no less than 3 times, and SIU fans in their hey day who loved to dish it out but couldn't take it and who would try to goad us fans all game and then as soon as we spoke to them would try to get admins to toss us (it didn't work).

Little play off #3 from Kentucky...but this is the redbirdfan content I'm here for. [mention]DWRedbird[/mention]

Top Bottom