Missouri State - family day

Total Red

Staff member
Missouri State comes to town on Saturday. A large family day crowd is expected to greet them. Coach Brock Spack will renew the acquaintance of best buddy Bobby Petrino. MSU brings a talented and balanced team. The Bears looked strong on defense against Oklahoma St. but then they gave up more yards and more points to Cent. Arkansas. Go figure. On offense the Bears could have gone with So. Mississippi transfer Jaden Johnson at QB. He started some games for them in the spring season. But Coach Petrino decided he wanted to be deeper, better and more experienced at QB, so he brought in another FBS transfer, 5th year QB Jason Shelley. In previous lifetimes Shelley was a starting QB at Utah and Utah St. Good news - in the conference opener South Dakota was able to sack Shelley 6 times. Bad news - In spite of 42 yards of negative rushing, Shelley also had 104 yards of positive rushing for a net gain of 62 yards and 2 TD's. Shelley also threw for 281 yards and 2 TD's as Missouri St. beat South Dakota 31-23. The 'Birds have a battle on their hands.

Clayton Isbell will be back. That will help. I need one more thing to become optimistic. Do we get either Zambrano or Asche back at offensive tackle? We need one to have a chance. Waring looked ok for a first start but our passing game remains fragile. It needs protection and Drew Bones might be gimpy as well. If our offensive line is slightly better than walking wounded then we have a chance to slay the Berenstains.

MadBird

The MadBird Express plans on making the trip down I-39 for the game this weekend. Trying not to get hopes up too high, but would be dandy to see a win by the good guys.

fourthandshort

I hope it snows, and our snow plow breaks down. Then maybe Petrino will offer up their snow removal equipment, and crew (of 1) to help us out.

Wm3Ik.png

Last edited:

fourthandshort

On a more serious note .. given how we played for 2 1/2 quarters last week at SIU, plus a boost from playing at home in front of full stadium on Family Day .. I think this is a game we can win. Hoping Waring is gaining some familiarity with everything at this level, and his confidence is starting to grow, especially in the pocket. SIU has a lot of good athletes who play fast .. nto sure MoST will be at that level. So his windows may be a little easier to read.

I say that not having really dug in to our opponents at all .. pandemic shutdown hangover has my attention elsewhere these days.

Phantom

Great effort last week, but ran out of steam down the stretch. This one is winnable with the same effort. Protect the ball. Don't give up big plays.

Redbird15

Um hopefully Petrino / MSU don't get any help from the Ref's ! Redbirds by 10 ! I will be in the stands to see this one !

Virginia Redbird

MSU looks to be playing well. Their transfer QB is playing very well it appears. Waring has almost two games under his belt now and the coaches have to open things up passing a bit. The defense played well last week for most of the game but down the stretch, the offense could not generate anything and the defense was on the field way too long. Freshman QB or not, you cant win just running the ball and playing defense. Of course, all that said, you have to have a solid O-line. The Birds are back at home for the first time in almost a month. A home crowd could give them a boost. MSU has played the Birds tough the past couple of years and I think this is a better MSU team than those. ISU will need a solid performance to win.

fourthandshort

I hope it snows, and our snow plow breaks down. Then maybe Petrino will offer up their snow removal equipment, and crew (of 1) to help us out.

Wm3Ik.png
So I have 3 predictions based on conditions ..

Scenario A: If it snows, and our equipment breaks down, and we have to rely on MoST to barely clear our field, i think it turns into mainly a defensive and run game, where we can compete .. so that prediction is Redbirds lose 17-13

Scenario B: if it does not snow or MoST manages to clear our field of all said snow in scenario A, I think we have tougher time .. so that prediction is Redbirds lose 31-17

Scenario C: if it snows, and field does NOT get cleared, then assuming Petrino cries to Patty V for game to be postponed, he will again convince her. So then I predict game gets postponed.

Now, given there is no chance of snow, scenario B applies .. Redbirds lose 31-17 ... I desperately want to be wrong.

p.s. but that was fun for me :cool:

Last edited:

fourthandshort

I think we need to at least split the next two home games if we want to have a winning season. Let's not put this off. Get the W tomorrow.
There's could be some combination of confidence and disappointment hangover from SIU game that could help carry us thru this game in positive way. I don't see it lasting, but we're healthy and shocked a top 10 team for 2.5 quarters on the road ... that may help against a slightly lesser team like MoST at home.

I wouldn't bet on this .. or against it either.

Let's steal one early !!

Virginia Redbird

I think we need to at least split the next two home games if we want to have a winning season. Let's not put this off. Get the W tomorrow.
Based on the first four games I just see no way this ends in a winning season. I hope I am wrong but this appears to be an experience-building season with dividends not arriving until next season. Unless you are NDSU, who never ever ever ever, seem to have a losing season...this is just one of those rebuilding years most teams have every so often. I am watching more to see the development this year than expecting wins. Just the way I see it this season.

fourthandshort

Didn't watch 1st half. But MoST DL is just manhandling our OL. Pressure getting to entire offense in 2nd half after great 1st half from Waring.

Waring now up to 3 picks .. the last one was more on the WR for not going up to get it ... DB picked from behind on very well thrown ball into end zone.

Bird Friend

Just started watching in 2nd half. We look lost with no confidence in finding our way out. 9 yards total rushing offense with time still left in 3rd qtr. We have no offense and no plan.

Top Bottom