Might be worth getting to your seat by 6:10 for WIU Game- Big Red Marching Machine

Loyl2u

I know I’ve talked about memories of the noise and band in Horton, but this aught to be impressive.

C138EE5D-805D-429A-8903-3BCCBCE46300.jpeg

Loyl2u

It could be really hard for Leathernecks to hear during a time out 😁

Adunk33

Staff member
This is awesome, and honestly, something that should be considered moving forward. Having 300+students built in every night would really help bring energy to RBA. Plus, with the seating reallocation when the lower bowl upgrades were done, ISU gave the students both endzones. One of which is usually pretty empty. 300+ kids could do a nice job filling out one side.

I've notice BRMM during football games. Regardless of how the game is going, they remain engaged and noisy. Looking forward to an energetic opening night to the new era!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe BRMM should be worth more than 1 credit hour? At least, that's what it used to be. I don't know if it still is.

That's the biggest reason they aren't used beyond football. I put more time into rehearsal and performances for BRMM than most of my 3 credit hour courses.

Adunk33

Staff member
Maybe BRMM should be worth more than 1 credit hour? At least, that's what it used to be. I don't know if it still is.

That's the biggest reason they aren't used beyond football. I put more time into rehearsal and performances for BRMM than most of my 3 credit hour courses.
I would be all for that, especially if you up the requirement to be football, MMB, and maybe some select other events (WBB, VB, Soccer, etc). A lot of people don't realize band is a ton of work. I'm sure the "level of seriousness" differs from school to school but I did four years in high school and it was considered a varsity sport jr & sr year due to the amount of time you put in. About a month of practices over the summer (including a 2-week 12 hour days camp), daily rehearsals during the scheduled class time, at least two additional practices during the school week, and then a Friday night football game and a Saturday competition. Definitely rigorous.

Quinn, how does BRMM work versus pep band? In HS, everyone in band was required to do Marching Band, concert band and pep band. If there is something similar at ISU, I would have to think it could be at least 3 credit hours (a normal class amount), especially in the fall. Probably a tougher sell in the spring semester since hoops ends in March.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I would be all for that, especially if you up the requirement to be football, MMB, and maybe some select other events (WBB, VB, Soccer, etc). A lot of people don't realize band is a ton of work. I'm sure the "level of seriousness" differs from school to school but I did four years in high school and it was considered a varsity sport jr & sr year due to the amount of time you put in. About a month of practices over the summer (including a 2-week 12 hour days camp), daily rehearsals during the scheduled class time, at least two additional practices during the school week, and then a Friday night football game and a Saturday competition. Definitely rigorous.

Quinn, how does BRMM work versus pep band? In HS, everyone in band was required to do Marching Band, concert band and pep band. If there is something similar at ISU, I would have to think it could be at least 3 credit hours (a normal class amount), especially in the fall. Probably a tougher sell in the spring semester since hoops ends in March.
I’m old, so it may have changed.

Pep band was a one hour class in second semester. In the fall the BRMM was broken up into pep bands to cover volleyball and basketball. Then second semester it was just one band.

Some music ed majors used it to practice a second instrument. Some of us just like going to games for free and get to go to the MVC and hopefully postseason.

stats

Having the band there made the atmosphere multiple times better. I would have liked to have heard less hype music and promotions to allow the band to play more. Even when they weren't playing they were on their feet cheering. Hopefully, we can do that more often.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I tweeted that to ISU. The band played 5 songs before the game that were not the fight song or the anthem. That's once per 10 minutes. Not great.

Top Bottom