Media Day 2022

Adunk33

Staff member
Thanks to the Vidette at 5PM, we know today was media day for the ‘22-‘23 season.

Nothing from the Pantagraph, JBC or WGLT.

It’d be cool if local news organizations would do their part in helping to try and drum up excitement about the new regime. Pretty sad that they aren’t.

Adunk33

Staff member

Well he was there ... he just forgot to write his article

Beat writers around the MVC all tweet during media day. For whatever reason, he feels to wait until he writes an article. I guess it's good business as he drive people to the Pantagraph site and gets clicks that way, but it's really poor journalism. He did the same thing on the MVC media day. One sarcastic tweet that he "forgot" to post he was there followed by a Sandage update and then a story about Coach Yak at UIC.

This kid from the Vidette seems to have Tolentino chops as far as wanting to keep the fan base informed. Check the recruiting forum for the scoop he had on Noah Cleveland.

MadBird

Benson has become bitter. The Pantagraph is useless - publish articles on Sunday for Friday night games, Monday paper has Saturday games - just pathetic. They have become worthless.
The newspaper business in general is hurting. Or I should say, all over newspapers aren't what they were. Deadlines have changed, making it harder to get game results in for next day publication. Papers aren't printed locally at all papers, so the printed paper might not have the most recent news because it has to be delivered hundreds of miles not 5 or 10. Reporters are being cut, leaving beats uncovered or shared or superficially covered.

I'm not saying you aren't right about Benson, just that the Panty isn't alone. I read the St. Cloud Times cause our cabin is up there, and they are in a similar place in terms of covering St. John's and St.Cloud State athletics - delayed reporting of results, fewer features, etc. - and in fact they have come to printing game stories written by a former reporter who now works in media relations for St. John's! They basically run the school's post game recap as their Monday story on the Saturday game. I've checked out the Sioux Falls Argus Leader for South Dakota MVFC news, and they also have a hard time keeping up with game results, altho features seem to be frequent.

The papers cry about people bailing on subscriptions, and the online business model doesn't work, but its harder and harder for the average person to justify the cost of subscribing. It's a mess.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not trying to defend Benson, but the Pantagraph has two sports reporters. Benson and Randy Reinhardt. People here demand not only coverage on ISU, but IWU and high school sports. It's a town of 100k people with no less than 6 high schools and 2 universities. And I know for a fact the paper isn't printed in Bloomington, though I am not sure where it is printed any more. Maybe Peoria?

Other than the Vidette, no one else in town is really covering ISU. WJBC has all but stopped other than airing games. Not really WGLT's thing to cover sports.

SgtHulka

I'm not trying to defend Benson, but the Pantagraph has two sports reporters. Benson and Randy Reinhardt. People here demand not only coverage on ISU, but IWU and high school sports. It's a town of 100k people with no less than 6 high schools and 2 universities. And I know for a fact the paper isn't printed in Bloomington, though I am not sure where it is printed any more. Maybe Peoria?

Other than the Vidette, no one else in town is really covering ISU. WJBC has all but stopped other than airing games. Not really WGLT's thing to cover sports.
We should get a deal with Peacock

redbirds2000

Beat writers around the MVC all tweet during media day. For whatever reason, he feels to wait until he writes an article. I guess it's good business as he drive people to the Pantagraph site and gets clicks that way, but it's really poor journalism. He did the same thing on the MVC media day. One sarcastic tweet that he "forgot" to post he was there followed by a Sandage update and then a story about Coach Yak at UIC.

This kid from the Vidette seems to have Tolentino chops as far as wanting to keep the fan base informed. Check the recruiting forum for the scoop he had on Noah Cleveland.
But did JB get an interview with Head Coach Rob Judson??? Never forget!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Quinn, you know it’s more than just that. Benson asks zero tough questions and is consistently out covered by not only ISU reporters, but other MVC reporters.

And publication time has zero to do with his ability to tweet from Media Days. Wheeler from MSU and Oren from Valpo put out more info about ISU than he did. He’s absolutely useless. But then again, he’s blocked about 1/3 of ISU fans on Twitter so I guess that doesn’t even matter.
Sorry, my house has been a pile of sickness other than me who has had to take care of every one, so sorry for late reply.

Yes you are right. None of that has anything to do with not asking questions and not tweeting and/or being a sarcastic jerk about tweeting and blocking people.

Top Bottom