McKnight, Taylor Enter Transfer Portal

crazzymark

wont blame him or a couple more due to the draft. need to be on the field in the fall...sucks though, no national championship without him

fourthandshort

Not to dismiss the significance of what is going on with this pandemic in any way, because there are far more important things to worry about than college football this fall. But I will say it again, I was really looking forward to watching our defense this fall .. the DB group would have been outstanding, the LB group had 3 starters returning and 1 FBS transfer, despite losing 3 significant contributing SRs, and would have reloaded their incredible depth (7 deep rotation) from 2019 eventually. But I was most especially looking forward to watching our Defensive Line just dominate all of FCS ... our top 5 would have played together for their 3rd straight year:

- DE Romeo McKnight (SR)
- NT John Ridgeway (JR)
- DE Jason Lewan (JR)
- DT Steven Podkulski (SR)
- NT Jason Powell (SR) .. remember how he stepped in for injured Ridgeway in NDSU playoff early in 2nd half ... we didn't skip a beat despite losing 50 lbs of beef.

I really believe this would have been the best DL in all of FCS - it was way up there last year and they had everyone back. This season, it would have given U of I and probably been the toast of MVFC and FCS this fall.

Remember this group of players ... 2020 would have been something really special for them and the entire defense. It is unfortunate we won't get to see that unfold.

Edit ... woops, that would be Jacob Powell

Last edited:

Virginia Redbird

He has to do what is best for him but is he going to find a place to play this fall? With so many conferences shutting down for the fall it will not be easy to find a landing spot. Best of luck to Romeo. This would have been a very strong defense. Sad to see it go away without a chance to get on the field.

Adunk33

Staff member
Looks like he is looking for somewhere to play in the fall. He doesn’t plan to play anywhere in the spring regardless and instead is going to prepare for the NFL draft.

fourthandshort

Looks like he is looking for somewhere to play in the fall. He doesn’t plan to play anywhere in the spring regardless and instead is going to prepare for the NFL draft.
and he should, spring football may never happen. I doubt any fall football will happen, but P5 with their TV revenue is only chance for fall football. NFL is very interested, he needs to prepare for that.

Best wishes to Romeo .. do what makes sense for next level.

Virginia Redbird

I looked around and there are still quite a few places where he may be able to hook on at least in theory. My question would be could he move to another school for this fall? I would guess the NCAA loosened the rules for moving around due to COVID. But here we are in mid-August. Is it feasible to move to another program/school by September? If he does not plan on playing in the spring because of the NFL draft he would have to move in less than a month. I am not up to date on the rules for all this. I am assuming it can be done or Romeo would not have entered the portal. Would another program pick him up at this late date? There are other players out there too. I can see quite a mess coming.

Bird Friend

I looked around and there are still quite a few places where he may be able to hook on at least in theory. My question would be could he move to another school for this fall? I would guess the NCAA loosened the rules for moving around due to COVID. But here we are in mid-August. Is it feasible to move to another program/school by September? If he does not plan on playing in the spring because of the NFL draft he would have to move in less than a month. I am not up to date on the rules for all this. I am assuming it can be done or Romeo would not have entered the portal. Would another program pick him up at this late date? There are other players out there too. I can see quite a mess coming.
My guess would be that he had schools calling before he entered the portal.

ISUBU

Seniors from the PAC10, the Big10, the MAC, individual BCS programs, most of FCS....there are potentially MANY available transfer students if you're reaching out to them for the relatively few spots needed at a late date. So it may work for him or not.

I think he's already shown enough to get a tryout. Follow the Shelby Harris blueprint...continue working out, get other parts of your life in order, work on individual skills, etc. Summer 2021 is where he'll make an NFL team or not.

Bird Friend

Most likely or he would not have done it. I am curious about the NCAA rules. Have they just opened it up because of the virus? I could look it up I guess but frankly just not motivated enough on a Sunday afternoon.
Well, there are the rules . . . and then there’s what you can do to get around them . . .

fourthandshort

Dang, losing another great one ... if we play spring football. Best wishes to him .... see what's possibly out there. Problem is ... lot of FCS and FBS are doing same ... excess supply wont help their chances of landing somewhere that plays this fall

He was a very good one for ISU !!!

Total Red

Staff member

I was discouraged when I first read this post but after a 2nd look I can see the optimism embedded within. If you follow the logic in it (which you should because it's obviously the product of a somber, serious and brilliant mind), the message tells us that Redbird Football may be re-entering a brief sucking stage. Implied in this is that RF has sucked in the past followed by a period of non-sucking which bring us to the current re-sucking phase - hence the exclamation "We Suck Again." Since we have known the program to not significantly suck for considerable periods of time it is my optimistic belief that the current re-sucking will be swiftly terminated by a wave of maturing young talent successfully replacing veterans departing for greener pastures. After all isn't that what we all want as Sportsfans. We want hope for a better tomorrow. We want to root for a team that sucks only intermittently and not perpetually. Sanantioniobird's post provides us with that hope.

crazzymark

mmmmm transfers to a school that is about the same as level as ISU. More to this than we are being told.

Last edited:
Top Bottom