Kudos to Dan Muller

Redbirdwarrior

With the 16th win of the season yesterday, Dan Muller has locked a winning record for the 6th straight year as ISU's head coach.

I know it seems like a downer, going from nearly twice as many wins last season (in the end), but I think going 6 straight years, through player turnover (Especially this season), tragedies, coaching changes, system changes, that time we didn't have a healthy player over 6'5'' for a month, having 6 straight seasons of winning ball is really something.

Good job, Coach! Let's get to 20 wins again this season (I think we all know what that would mean).

Phantom

If we can win two more, then I believe that will give Dan 18+ wins in each season he's been here.

Even with this roller coaster of a season, that's some very good consistency over a sizable period of time.

Topoly28

Technically they could finish 16-16 if they lost to Loyola, quarters in STL, and then 1st round of a post season tourney (if they make one) :lol:

Brick

If they don’t get to the big dance I doubt they will continue to play. After all these injuries etc this team needs some rest. Only an opinion, not based on anything

Metamoron

Brick said:
If they don’t get to the big dance I doubt they will continue to play. After all these injuries etc this team needs some rest. Only an opinion, not based on anything
I feel just the opposite. Because of the injuries, etc I think they could use several more weeks of games and practices. Elijah, David, Madison, Tyler can all use more time. Also more practice for Copeland and Chastain.

I think we play so many games (20 at least this year) vs teams we play multiple times that playing teams we have not seen, and have not seen us much is good for the group.

If we can, but decide not to play, I worry we are looking for extra time for recruiting which would signal a significant rebuild again.....

Get this team ready to play multiple post season games next year.

V Boy

Muller has done a good job with this team.

Team is limited in talent and experience beyond a few players and he is still top Third of league. Lost basically entire team last year.

He schedules well. We play in preseason tournaments. We go on road. He fights for us on Twitter.

Only thing he needs to do is recruit a few more stud guards. If he can start to break through there we will be the top program in the league.

Bird Friend

Staff member
V Boy said:

Team is limited in talent and experience beyond a few players and he is still top Third of league. Lost basically entire team last year.

He schedules well. We play in preseason tournaments. We go on road. He fights for us on Twitter.

Only thing he needs to do is recruit a few more stud guards. If he can start to break through there we will be the top program in the league.

He got Matt Hein. I mean, what more can you ask for? ;)

isufan

Could take a crack at getting some players to stay around for a couple of years? Just a thought...

Redbirdwarrior

V Boy said:

This might be the most positive post I've seen you make in...years. I love it. #growth.

ISU FAN 1

Dan has had 1 well above average year, 1 above average year, and 4 mediocre years. Although one mediocre overall record did include a 12-6 MVC 2nd place finish.

On balance, that’s not getting it done for me. Not calling for Dan’s head, but it’s about getting to the Dance. Squeaking out winning records, finishing a few games over .500 is rather meaningless IMO. Would prefer a couple horrendous years, if it brought one NCAA trip or 2 with it. I am not going to celebrate mediocrity with an NIT and CBI sprinkled in.

Redbirdwarrior

So if HCDM went to the Dance next year as a 13 seed (lets say losing to UCLA in Rd 1) then spent the next 2 years as a Thursday St. Louis team, you wouldn't be calling for his head in 2021?

Phantom

In a way, it's cool that our expectations have finally been elevated to making the Dance. There was a time in the not too distant past where we would've been jumping for joy for 18+ wins and an NIT bid...now we're tired of them :)

V Boy

Redbirdwarrior said:
V Boy said:

This might be the most positive post I've seen you make in...years. I love it. #growth.

I say positive things when there are positive things to talk about.

And it’s not THAT positive.

But when you consider no Copeland. Basically no Clarance. At points no Evans or Fayne or both. And you are still top third of league......he gets some credit for that. So does Yarbrough. But Muller whipped Yarb into mental shape.

But the most important part of this year for Muller is yet to come. He has got to retain his top players for next year. He has got to get Copeland and Clarance ready. And he really does need another couple guards in here next year for AFTER next year.

His most important work is ahead in next two months.

If he can’t retain these players and convince them he can get them ready for the next level then he’s basically running a JUCO program.

HT59

V Boy said:
Redbirdwarrior said:
V Boy said:

I say positive things when there are positive things to talk about.

And it’s not THAT positive.

But when you consider no Copeland. Basically no Clarance. At points no Evans or Fayne or both. And you are still top third of league......he gets some credit for that. So does Yarbrough. But Muller whipped Yarb into mental shape.

But the most important part of this year for Muller is yet to come. He has got to retain his top players for next year. He has got to get Copeland and Clarance ready. And he really does need another couple guards in here next year for AFTER next year.

His most important work is ahead in next two months.

If he can’t retain these players and convince them he can get them ready for the next level then he’s basically running a JUCO program.

Good point, I agree completely.

Hrtnfldhse

V Boy said:

Completely agree with this. Need a PG to take care of the ball.

Chi-bird

This year's team is a good point guard away from being formidable. I hope EC takes major steps forward this offseason, we get a juco pg, and everyone stays.

RedbirdSoxFan

Chi-bird said:
This year's team is a good point guard away from being formidable. I hope EC takes major steps forward this offseason, we get a juco pg, and everyone stays.

If everything stays, where does the scholarship for this JUCO point guard come from?

Chi-bird

RedbirdSoxFan said:
Chi-bird said:

If everything stays, where does the scholarship for this JUCO point guard come from?

I was thinking and assuming there might be a particular schollie player who would not be on scholarship next year.

Top Bottom