Offered/Committed Elsewhere Kolton Mitchell, 6’4” PG

SoCalRedbird

Active member
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
1,112
I like this kid`s game and attitude. Sign with us Dooda!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

 

Bird Friend

Well-known member
Staff member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
11,107
SoCalRedbird said:
I like this kid`s game and attitude. Sign with us Dooda!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Based on Muller's comments on signing Torres, I'm thinking we'll only add Mitchell if he's willing to redshirt this year.
 

V Boy

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
2,346
Bird Friend said:
SoCalRedbird said:
I like this kid`s game and attitude. Sign with us Dooda!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Based on Muller's comments on signing Torres, I'm thinking we'll only add Mitchell if he's willing to redshirt this year.

This seems right.

This is the one area where I think Muller gets a little bullish on his teams. He thinks he’s “good” when history would tell us that if we have 12 going in we’ll be down to 9 or 10 fairly quickly and he doesn’t get to pick which 9 or 10. We also don’t know about Bruninga. So we’re really at 11 already in my mind.

Why not add a Greenlee? He could be the best player on the team in 2020 and who know who will even still be on the team?

He isn’t being aggressive enough in my opinion.
 

cubird

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Messages
1,838
You can only add players that want to be here. Other than walk ons..guys want to play right away.
 

Adunk33

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
9,232
As mentioned a couple of pages ago, Mitchell is going to visit UMASS after the dead period ends on May 25. The UMASS team has been VERY active on social media with Mitchell. For the sake of comparison, crickets from our guys.
 

DWRedbird

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
2,294
V Boy said:
Bird Friend said:
SoCalRedbird said:
I like this kid`s game and attitude. Sign with us Dooda!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Based on Muller's comments on signing Torres, I'm thinking we'll only add Mitchell if he's willing to redshirt this year.

This seems right.

This is the one area where I think Muller gets a little bullish on his teams. He thinks he’s “good” when history would tell us that if we have 12 going in we’ll be down to 9 or 10 fairly quickly and he doesn’t get to pick which 9 or 10. We also don’t know about Bruninga. So we’re really at 11 already in my mind.

Why not add a Greenlee? He could be the best player on the team in 2020 and who know who will even still be on the team?

He isn’t being aggressive enough in my opinion.

This is one the most frustrating things I think with Muller. We still technically only have one point guard on the roster, and my question becomes what if he doesn't get the waiver or gets hurt. Then we are back to not having a PG. Unless he is absolutely confident that Dedric Boyd could run the point, we should recruit a frosh PG.

Dooda looks good, and in my opinion would do really well in the Valley and on this team, my question is why not try to add him? If he isn't happy going into the year after he can always transfer, and if he is happy going into the following year, he has a year of experience under his belt, and we aren't scrambling to add a PG for next year.
 

Adunk33

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
9,232
DWRedbird said:
V Boy said:
Bird Friend said:
Based on Muller's comments on signing Torres, I'm thinking we'll only add Mitchell if he's willing to redshirt this year.

This seems right.

This is the one area where I think Muller gets a little bullish on his teams. He thinks he’s “good” when history would tell us that if we have 12 going in we’ll be down to 9 or 10 fairly quickly and he doesn’t get to pick which 9 or 10. We also don’t know about Bruninga. So we’re really at 11 already in my mind.

Why not add a Greenlee? He could be the best player on the team in 2020 and who know who will even still be on the team?

He isn’t being aggressive enough in my opinion.

This is one the most frustrating things I think with Muller. We still technically only have one point guard on the roster, and my question becomes what if he doesn't get the waiver or gets hurt. Then we are back to not having a PG. Unless he is absolutely confident that Dedric Boyd could run the point, we should recruit a frosh PG.

Dooda looks good, and in my opinion would do really well in the Valley and on this team, my question is why not try to add him? If he isn't happy going into the year after he can always transfer, and if he is happy going into the following year, he has a year of experience under his belt, and we aren't scrambling to add a PG for next year.

DJ Horne?
 

DWRedbird

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
2,294
Adunk33 said:
DWRedbird said:
V Boy said:
This seems right.

This is the one area where I think Muller gets a little bullish on his teams. He thinks he’s “good” when history would tell us that if we have 12 going in we’ll be down to 9 or 10 fairly quickly and he doesn’t get to pick which 9 or 10. We also don’t know about Bruninga. So we’re really at 11 already in my mind.

Why not add a Greenlee? He could be the best player on the team in 2020 and who know who will even still be on the team?

He isn’t being aggressive enough in my opinion.

This is one the most frustrating things I think with Muller. We still technically only have one point guard on the roster, and my question becomes what if he doesn't get the waiver or gets hurt. Then we are back to not having a PG. Unless he is absolutely confident that Dedric Boyd could run the point, we should recruit a frosh PG.

Dooda looks good, and in my opinion would do really well in the Valley and on this team, my question is why not try to add him? If he isn't happy going into the year after he can always transfer, and if he is happy going into the following year, he has a year of experience under his belt, and we aren't scrambling to add a PG for next year.

DJ Horne?

If I'm not mistaken both Horne and his Father have said he plays better off the ball or as a combo guard not a point guard.
 

Redbird222

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Messages
4,000
DWRedbird said:
Adunk33 said:
DWRedbird said:
This is one the most frustrating things I think with Muller. We still technically only have one point guard on the roster, and my question becomes what if he doesn't get the waiver or gets hurt. Then we are back to not having a PG. Unless he is absolutely confident that Dedric Boyd could run the point, we should recruit a frosh PG.

Dooda looks good, and in my opinion would do really well in the Valley and on this team, my question is why not try to add him? If he isn't happy going into the year after he can always transfer, and if he is happy going into the following year, he has a year of experience under his belt, and we aren't scrambling to add a PG for next year.

DJ Horne?

If I'm not mistaken both Horne and his Father have said he plays better off the ball or as a combo guard not a point guard.

It's also up to the athlete to want to come to ISU knowing that we just signed a Senior PG that is expected to play.

That being said, I don't understand pocketing a scholarship if there are deserving players. We should aggressivly pursure talented players and utilize all 13 scholarships. There are plenty of unknowns this year and injuries, defections, disciplinary actions are part of the game. We don't have proven depth in the bigs and adding depth there could be great but ultimately i am for adding the best available player despite the position. Create competition now and in the future. However, I don't think we issue one just for the sake of adding a player especially if it is not a grad transfer or Gassman situation. If you are tying up multiple years, the player must be deserving and potential contributor.
 

V Boy

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
2,346
DWRedbird said:
Adunk33 said:
DWRedbird said:
This is one the most frustrating things I think with Muller. We still technically only have one point guard on the roster, and my question becomes what if he doesn't get the waiver or gets hurt. Then we are back to not having a PG. Unless he is absolutely confident that Dedric Boyd could run the point, we should recruit a frosh PG.

Dooda looks good, and in my opinion would do really well in the Valley and on this team, my question is why not try to add him? If he isn't happy going into the year after he can always transfer, and if he is happy going into the following year, he has a year of experience under his belt, and we aren't scrambling to add a PG for next year.

DJ Horne?

If I'm not mistaken both Horne and his Father have said he plays better off the ball or as a combo guard not a point guard.

Horne looks like a point guard to me.
 

Bird Friend

Well-known member
Staff member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
11,107
Horne's dad said DJ can play both. I still wouldn't mind seeing Kolton come on board . . .
 

Adunk33

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
9,232
At UMASS today. Seems like a probable landing spot. From everything I heard, Kolton loved ISU but wants to play right away. A Muller has said, he isn't looking for immediate help for next season. He's looking for a sit-out or mid-year transfer.
 

BTbird

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2017
Messages
1,236
Adunk33 said:
At UMASS today. Seems like a probable landing spot. From everything I heard, Kolton loved ISU but wants to play right away. A Muller has said, he isn't looking for immediate help for next season. He's looking for a sit-out or mid-year transfer.

Umass has a 3 star point guard that transferred from Memphis and they already signed 2 Freshman PG's. It would seem ISU would be the better option if playing time is what he is looking for. I assume you are correct though as far as him not coming to ISU.
 

Bird Friend

Well-known member
Staff member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
11,107
BTbird said:
Adunk33 said:
At UMASS today. Seems like a probable landing spot. From everything I heard, Kolton loved ISU but wants to play right away. A Muller has said, he isn't looking for immediate help for next season. He's looking for a sit-out or mid-year transfer.

Umass has a 3 star point guard that transferred from Memphis and they already signed 2 Freshman PG's. It would seem ISU would be the better option if playing time is what he is looking for. I assume you are correct though as far as him not coming to ISU.

Of those listed who've made offers, seems UT-Chattanooga or SIU-E are the only ones with potential to have immediate room . . . Interestingly, Greenlee is also still looking. Might be best for both of them to go the prep school route and reclassify to 2020, then maybe make a decision in the fall.
 

Adunk33

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
9,232
UMASS. I really liked this kid, so it's kind of a bummer but I understand his choice. He didn't want to redshirt and Muller would've wanted him to.
 

DannyCooksey

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
2,947
Adunk33 said:
UMASS. I really liked this kid, so it's kind of a bummer but I understand his choice. He didn't want to redshirt and Muller would've wanted him to.

Do you think he’s a Bird if he wasn’t being looked at by Muller to redshirt?
 
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Messages
872
I don’t think there aren’t plenty of good reasons to become a Redbird—ISU can sell itself. However, other programs have so many bad things that can be said honestly about our program.
Major one being absence of us on the national radar. We are 20+ years removed from a bid with no end in sight.
 
Top Bottom