June 30th Podcast with Patty Viverito

Virginia Redbird

I came across this podcast while surfing the MVFC site. The date was June 30th and obviously a few things have happened since that date to change the landscape. Some of the discussion though is still relevant. The cost of testing for the programs was something I had not thought much about. Very expensive and now schools like ISU have lost a big payday with the BIG10's decision not to play non-conference games. The financial picture is not looking good. Face shields for all players on their helmets were mentioned but that I think will be problematic. First, the physical issue of a full face mask causing the shield to fog up as a heavy breathing player exhales. The current shield do not cover the lower portion of the face and is mainly for screeing of the eye area. Manufacturers would have to develop a new shield and that will change the configuration of the helmet to some extent. I can already see the miles-long line of blood lawyers waiting to file suits based on the reconfiguration. Referees, traveling, and staying in hotels. Will they have to wear masks? They are moving and running so that will be difficult. Shields? The same fogging issue is likely. I heard on this board somebody say to listen to the doctors. Patty referenced every team and every university has a medical person and there are many different perspectives. Which doctor? She mentioned players will need to possibly wear masks on the sidelines and definitely without exception when around coaches. Coaches are older and more high risk. Sidelines made bigger to distance and much, much more. It is about 45 minutes but worth a listen if you are interested.

MadBird

I didn't catch the podcast, but wanted to agree that the cost of the testing and all the rest are factors that maybe most of us aren't thinking about when speculating on whether or not there'll be fall sports. Not only the players need to be tested, but the coaching staff and stadium staff and on and on. Presume some kind of plastic "shields" would need to be put up at ticket windows and concession stands, all of that. Extra cleaning of the restrooms and concession stands? And then the contingencies - what if one player tests positive? Whole team out/quarantined? Don't envy any of the people in decision-making positions.

Total Red

Staff member
Two thoughts:

1) I think each school will need to test all participants early in the game week to have the results before Saturday. If you can put two teams on the field that do not show any positives then you're going to be in a much safer place than your local Wal-Mart.
2) That would be costly but I haven't heard anything yet from ISU about testing being cost prohibitive.

Virginia Redbird

I didn't catch the podcast, but wanted to agree that the cost of the testing and all the rest are factors that maybe most of us aren't thinking about when speculating on whether or not there'll be fall sports. Not only the players need to be tested, but the coaching staff and stadium staff and on and on. Presume some kind of plastic "shields" would need to be put up at ticket windows and concession stands, all of that. Extra cleaning of the restrooms and concession stands? And then the contingencies - what if one player tests positive? Whole team out/quarantined? Don't envy any of the people in decision-making positions.

Absolutely, things I was not considering but are real factors. If I recall correctly she said one protocol for testing would cost around $450,000 for the season. That is pocket change for an Alabama but huge money for FCS teams. She also commented that all they do to attempt to keep players safe but then they go back to the college population. They can't put them in a bubble. So many moving parts and costs that are not apparent on the surface.

Total Red

Staff member
Just got done listening. It was a very good interview with Patty V. There's no doubt that playing college football this season will be problematic for a variety of reasons but I would urge people to remember that relocating a problem doesn't solve a problem.

What I mean by that is this. Yes, it's difficult to ensure player health while playing a contact sport. But what's the alternative? Do you think you can cancel football and other fall sports and athletes are going to be OK with that and they'll just sit around with their mask on and shelter in place every weekend? You're whack if you think that. If you take away football then you've got a bunch of highly active young men that are suddenly going to have a lot free time on their hands and they're going to be a tad angry. They're going to say, "Screw IT, I'm going to be out there doing EVERYTHING with EVERYBODY and I'm going to have some fun now that you took my sport away." That's not the best approach to take to eradicate this disease.

Last edited:
Top Bottom