Josiah Strong (Iowa Western Schedule)

cpacmel

http://www.goreivers.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

November

Fri. 22 Des Moines Area Community College Des Moines Area Community College Reiver Arena - Holiday Inn / Hampton Inn Reiver Classic 7:00 PM

Sat. 23 Barton Community College Barton Community College Reiver Arena - Holiday Inn / Hampton Inn Reiver Classic 7:00 PM

Tue. 26 Southwestern Community College Southwestern Community College Reiver Arena 6:00 PM

DECEMBER
Fri. 6 Minnesota Prep Academy Minnesota Prep Academy Reiver Arena - Iowa Western Classic 7:00 PM

Sat. 7 Johnson County Community College Johnson County Community College Reiver Arena - Iowa Western Classic 7:00 PM

Tue. 10 Southeast Community College Southeast Community College Reiver Arena 6:00 PM

Fri. 13 Highland Community College - Kansas vs. Highland Community College - Kansas @ Kansas City, KS Kansas City, KS - Cavalier Holiday Classic 5:00 PM

Sat. 14 Johnson County Community College at Johnson County Community College Kansas City, KS - Cavalier Holiday Classic 4:00 PM

Tue. 17 Cloud County Community College Cloud County Community College Reiver Arena 6:00 PM

JANUARY
Wed. 1 Neosho County Community College at Neosho County Community College # TBA

Sat. 4 North Iowa Area Community College at North Iowa Area Community College Mason City, IA 6:00 PM

Tue. 7 Southeast Community College at Southeast Community College Beatrice, NE 6:00 PM

Sat. 11 Northeast Community College at Northeast Community College * Norfolk, NE 7:00 PM

Wed. 15 Marshalltown CC Marshalltown CC * Reiver Arena 7:00 PM

Sat. 18 Indian Hills Community College at Indian Hills Community College * Ottumwa, IA 7:00 PM

Wed. 22 Southeastern Community College Southeastern Community College * Reiver Arena 7:00 PM

Sat. 25 Central Community College-Columbus at Central Community College-Columbus Columbus, NE 4:00 PM

Wed. 29 Northeast Community College Northeast Community College * Reiver Arena 7:00 PM

FEBRUARY

Sat. 1 Marshalltown CC at Marshalltown CC * Marshalltown, IA 7:00 PM

Sat. 8 Indian Hills Community College Indian Hills Community College * Reiver Arena 7:00 PM

Sat. 15 Southeastern Community College at Southeastern Community College * West Burlingon, IA 7:00 PM

Tue. 18 North Central Missouri College North Central Missouri College Reiver Arena 7:00 PM

Fri. 21 Cloud County Community College at Cloud County Community College Concordia, KS 6:00 PM
* Conference

cpacmel

Currently 4-4

Josiah has played in 7 games. High point game of 25.

15.4 PPG

45.6 % from the fg

40.9 % from trey

63.6 % from FT

3.3 rebounds per

3.3 assists per

1.7 turnovers per

Adunk33

Staff member
http://goreivers.com/information/reiver-sports-network

It looks like you can watch his games for free. Next one up at 7 p.m. tonight.

Bird Friend

Talked to an assistant at one of the jucos they've played. He said this kid can shoot. Wants the ball in crunch time. And like all of us can't figure out why a kid who can shoot the 3 so well can't do better from the FT line.

V Boy

DannyCooksey said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:
GP 17
PTS/G 18.4
FG % 49.4
3PT % 46.0
FT % 64.9
REB/G 3.5
A/G 2.7

good numbers

Has anyone ever analyzed how much 3FG % drops when someone makes jump from JC to D1 ball? I would guess it’s close to a 10% drop.

Hope kid can shoot in the 40s here but it’s a different ballgame when you are 6-2 and you have 6-4/6-5 kids flying at you.

How is his defense? Because if he can’t guard then you know his whole first year he will be Dedric Boyd....I.e....can’t stay in game longer than 4 mins and on pine most of game.

BirdFan10

V Boy said:
DannyCooksey said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:
GP 17
PTS/G 18.4
FG % 49.4
3PT % 46.0
FT % 64.9
REB/G 3.5
A/G 2.7

good numbers

Has anyone ever analyzed how much 3FG % drops when someone makes jump from JC to D1 ball? I would guess it’s close to a 10% drop.

Hope kid can shoot in the 40s here but it’s a different ballgame when you are 6-2 and you have 6-4/6-5 kids flying at you.

How is his defense? Because if he can’t guard then you know his whole first year he will be Dedric Boyd....I.e....can’t stay in game longer than 4 mins and on pine most of game.

Not Juco -> DI, but in NBA circles they believe FT percentage is a better indicator of true ability to shoot. The 65% FT rate doesn't feel like it will transfer well.

Adunk33

Staff member
First team all conference.
https://www.iccac.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20200302om9ybz

17.6 ppg and 4 boards. 46% from 3.

SgtHulka

Adunk33 said:

Man. Iowa Western and Indian Hills dominating the all region teams :shock:

ILLST25

It looks like he has very similar numbers to Copeland coming out of Juco across the board. Offensively, this is good news as far as shooting goes. The concerning part that I see is the turnover numbers also being similar (1.9 per game versus Copeland's 2.3 per game coming out). As we've seen with Copeland, it doesn't usually improve at the D1 level where the defensive competition is a big level up.

RedbirdSoxFan

SgtHulka said:
Adunk33 said:

Interesting to see Chris Payton on the 1st Team. Will Dan go after him again? Will he now get bigger offers?

SgtHulka

RedbirdSoxFan said:
SgtHulka said:
Adunk33 said:

Interesting to see Chris Payton on the 1st Team. Will Dan go after him again? Will he now get bigger offers?
Has he changed his ways would be the big ?

Baltimore Bird

I would have thought I was watching Copeland. There games are very similar. Of course, his highlight film did not include the turnovers. His ball handling seemed stronger than Copeland, but, as stated, we did not see the lowlights. I loved his shot.

ILLST25

Baltimore Bird said:
I would have thought I was watching Copeland. There games are very similar. Of course, his highlight film did not include the turnovers. His ball handling seemed stronger than Copeland, but, as stated, we did not see the lowlights. I loved his shot.

I would agree. Almost the whole video is him shooting off the dribble and creating his own shot, which makes it impressive that he shot such a high percentage (46% from 3).

Redbird222

Baltimore Bird said:

I think the comparison to Copeland is good. The positives seem to be his shot, range (mid too), release and I saw some contested makes. I skipped part of the video but I wonder if he will be able to drive to the rim and finish. I always thought Copeland was a better shooter than driving the ball.

BTbird

Over 14 minutes of footage and not a single miss :D. I realize it is a highlight tape but he does seem good at creating his own shot and has a quick release. Drives to the bucket start at 11:38.

Top Bottom