Johnson Extended Through 2027

Adunk33

Congrats to Leah for building a program we can all be proud of. I will say, I've watched more volleyball in her time here than ever before. Her teams play hard and go to the NCAA Tournament.

Redbird222

Congrats to Leah for building a program we can all be proud of. I will say, I've watched more volleyball in her time here than ever before. Her teams play hard and go to the NCAA Tournament.
Well deserved

Adunk33

What a wild turn of events. Congrats to her but total bummer for the Birds. Is Brennan going to have to make two HC hires this spring?

I have to think there will be some level of buyout she'll have to pay back to the school to get out of her contract....Maybe that's where they can get some money for Muller's buy out?

Last edited:

MadBird

What a wild turn of events. Congrats to her but total bummer for the Birds. Is Brennan going to have to make two HC hires this spring?

I have to think there will be some level of buyout she'll have to pay back to the school to get out of her contract....Maybe that's where they can get some money for Muller's buy out?
I had the same thought about the buy-out! ;)

Dmills

FWIW, I recently viewed a Pantagraph article from a while back that said if Muller were to leave ISU for another D1 head coaching position, there was a $50,000 buyout and he would be required to schedule a future home and home series with ISU. I have no idea what Johnson's contract said (it was also created under a different AD). I highly doubt there is some future series requirement, but that would be interesting.

Adunk33

FWIW, I recently viewed a Pantagraph article from a while back that said if Muller were to leave ISU for another D1 head coaching position, there was a $50,000 buyout and he would be required to schedule a future home and home series with ISU. I have no idea what Johnson's contract said (it was also created under a different AD). I highly doubt there is some future series requirement, but that would be interesting.
That contract as @gobirds85 would tell you, was the Larry Lyons special. Muller, making 500-600k per year and only would have to pay 50k if he left for another school plus the H-H that would've never happened. Larry was trying to get whatever P5 program that would come in and swoop Dan to come to RBA. The only job he was every seriously linked to was Dayton....the Birds had H/H with them anyway....Such a bad deal...

As far as Johnson goes, she was making around $120k. I'd imagine the extension came with a raise. Lets say she got up to 150k. No idea what the buy out would look like on her side. So, if this contract had similar terms as Mullers (doubtful since it was a Brennan deal and not Lyons), she'd be giving back 10% of her annual, so 15k that could be used towards Muller's buyout. Again, I have no idea. You'd think you'd want more security from a deal with a great coach that doesn't allow her to walk w/o penalty a month after she signed an extension.

schoolsportsfan

That contract as @gobirds85 would tell you, was the Larry Lyons special. Muller, making 500-600k per year and only would have to pay 50k if he left for another school plus the H-H that would've never happened. Larry was trying to get whatever P5 program that would come in and swoop Dan to come to RBA. The only job he was every seriously linked to was Dayton....the Birds had H/H with them anyway....Such a bad deal...

As far as Johnson goes, she was making around $120k. I'd imagine the extension came with a raise. Lets say she got up to 150k. No idea what the buy out would look like on her side. So, if this contract had similar terms as Mullers (doubtful since it was a Brennan deal and not Lyons), she'd be giving back 10% of her annual, so 15k that could be used towards Muller's buyout. Again, I have no idea. You'd think you'd want more security from a deal with a great coach that doesn't allow her to walk w/o penalty a month after she signed an extension.
How sure are you with $120,000 salary? Seems high for ISU?

gobirds85

Brennan is light years ahead of Lyons in regards to intelligence, negotiating and general AD type stuff. He will prove to be a great hire, however I do not see him hanging around very long. He's getting the practice facility, now he needs to move on getting us a basketball coach, and another volleyball coach.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Brennan is light years ahead of Lyons in regards to intelligence, negotiating and general AD type stuff. He will prove to be a great hire, however I do not see him hanging around very long. He's getting the practice facility, now he needs to move on getting us a basketball coach, and another volleyball coach.
Lyons is intelligent, but he’s a bean counter not a good leader with any expansive vision.

SgtHulka

Success is a good problem to have. Need to find the right replacement who can keep the ball rolling.

Birdswin

Yes, a bummer Coach Johnson is leaving. However, this is exactly what should happen when a coach leaves Camp Redbird - It is because of the SUCCESS they had here. I have zero problem with this situation. The program is in very good shape and it should be much easier to attract the next coach for VB versus the mess that is Men's Basketball.

Top Bottom