ISU opts out

BirdGrad2011

Good. Didn’t see the point in jeopardizing a normal fall season for whatever this spring is. Already losing guys fall season due to injury. It’s not worth it.

cubird

As I briefly mentioned Thursday on another thread, not shocked Spack pulled the plug. In a recent Chicago radio interview and Pantagragh article Coach was hinting that it was becoming a real possibility. Go back and look at Western Il 75 yard drive. Think that was the last straw.

crazzymark

Shocked....but ok Coach Spack is the man. But watched the whole game but missed any defensive injuries...hope all the rb stay and dont portal...like mbb

crazzymark

I wonder if helping Drew get in the draft had something to do with it too

Virginia Redbird

Well ... that was a very short and extremely painful season. Spack and his coaches have a mountain of work to do. May as well get started. See you all in the fall!

MadBird

My first reaction is I'm stunned - hard for me to see Coach Spack "back down". If they're having games, Spack shows up. Right?
That said, there must be some serious problems if he's willing to pull the plug.

I didn't see anyone on the DL, altho Jeremiah Jordan played quite a bit in the 4th Q - would that be for Dinga? Or Zeke? Also, Nigel White came up lame late in the game. Those were the only things I saw from behind the bench that might be clues.

Simplifies my spring, that's for sure. Was saying to Mrs. MadBird on the way home yesterday, how different it is/was driving home yesterday vs. October or November. In the fall, you're driving home usually in the dark, or by Mendota or so in the dark. Watching the harvest. Yesterday, nothing in the fields, some disked already. Sunny all the way home. Just weird.

Let's get ready for fall.

redbirds2000

Good. Didn’t see the point in jeopardizing a normal fall season for whatever this spring is. Already losing guys fall season due to injury. It’s not worth it.
Meanwhile, the Dakotas will play 3-5 more games. Get better. Get exposure. Continue to Widened the gap. While we watch. Get ready to be in the bottom of this conference with WIU and YSU for a long time.

Total Red

Staff member
Disappointed in the decision. You can import players from other positions if needed which has often been done with the D-Line. It isn't pretty but it is football.

Redbird15

Disappointed in the decision. You can import players from other positions if needed which has often been done with the D-Line. It isn't pretty but it is football.
Yes now it’s on player safety and health .. maybe they should get some better trainers and a hot tub and cryosauna for the football team ... basketball ball has that but not football... makes u wonder !

ThumbsUp_BloNo

I want to be upset by this, but I'm not. Honest question, did other Valley teams lose as much talent between the fall & spring as the 'Birds? I know NDSU would argue yes, but the transition to spring seemed to hit ISU especially hard. That fall 2020 team could have been special. Bummer.

Some will call it weak. I would if I were a fan of an opposing team. But it's smart.

The fall will be here in a few months. There was nothing to gain from continuing this charade. Get healthy. Build the depth back up. Play for a real season.

I feel bad for the players, but I guarantee they had a big say in this. They saw the writing on the wall. Go out on a win. Don't risk hurting or demoralizing your younger, unprepared players. I bet Western, UNI, YSU and USD all consider this move in coming weeks.

Redbirdwarrior

It kinda feels like these games have been being played at half speed and seem almost like scrimmages to me.

I feel bad for the seniors, but probably the right move.

To the question on if we opt out of we were 3-1 now, no because we have a chance at a title, but the playoffs are, at best, iffy now. Let the boys focus on studies and healing up and come up with a better offensive plan for August.

Redbird15

Shocked....but ok Coach Spack is the man. But watched the whole game but missed any defensive injuries...hope all the rb stay and dont portal...like mbb
NCAA ruling on 1x tranfer play without sitting will be vote on May 1st .. Lets see who moves ! I would say at least 4 players will move on...

Manchester Matt

Meanwhile, the Dakotas will play 3-5 more games. Get better. Get exposure. Continue to Widened the gap. While we watch. Get ready to be in the bottom of this conference with WIU and YSU for a long time.

Lol. When was the last time we were in the bottom of the conference for a prolonged period?

This post is a ridiculous overreaction.

JHBird

Not having an IPF really put us at a huge disadvantage this season especially against the Dakotas. I was surprised that we opted out. Thought maybe we had a Covid outbreak or something. Brock is not somebody that is a quitter so you have to respect his decision.

fourthandshort

This is all so completely unprecedented. I have no issue with Spack doing this. It did surprise me a bit that Spack pulled plug, but I completely get it. The results from this season are always going to be with an asterisk or 10. This was forced from the git go, especially with inadequate facilities to properly prepare for season (some have indoor, some don't). But even worse is how this will impact next fall. We did take a lot of hits on defense in one form or another .. FBS transfers, NFL prep, graduation on time, injuries. The only thing I liked about doing this spring was that it would have helped get our very young offense soe much needed game experience ... but burning their eligibility at same time for a "partial" season that will have other teams doing what Spack just did as season progresses.

Solid decision .. not an easy one. I'm already over it - this season didn't feel like a regular regular season to me anyways.

Top Bottom