IHSA football finals returning to Hancock?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member

fourthandshort

Quinn .. i could have sworn the Redbird Forum already voted and approved this for passage .... so why aint it done ?????

:sneaky:

fourthandshort

But in case my vote wasn't clear .. I am 1,000% for this. It is "no brainer net positive for sure having a bunch of IHSA football teams parading in and out of here, plus the TV exposure. With all the positive stadium developments since 1999 - East Side Reconstruction, new Jumbotron Billboard, West Side update, new Turf ... Hancock will show real well as all those HS players, parents, students, etc walk into games .. or even watch them on TV.

Now ... that said .. is it done yet ?

1669937830480.png

fourthandshort

I think it was interesting and funny SIU also put in a bid.
yep, though would be a great location if there were a 5 state championship tournament involving Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Illinois is 390 miles long, so stating and illustrating the very obvious point:
  • McLean County is right smack dab in middle of state east-west; and just bit north of center going north-south
  • Grundy County (i.e. Morris) is the population center, just an hour north of Normal
  • Cook and Dupage are 2 biggest counties by far, and both are well within 2 hours of ISU.
ISU Hancock makes the most sense geographically by far .. cuts nearly all drives to 3 hours or less. U of I is acceptable alternative on location, but not as central as ISU.

Plus we've committed to every year. U of I and NIU are only committed to alternating years.

1670010666829.png

RedbirdSoxFan

Big fan of SIU football facilities, but just as I was not a fan of the few times the schools from the south had to make that long trip up to Dekalb, I am not a fan of the Chicago area schools facing that 6 hour bus trip down to Carbondale. Imagine a 6+ hour drive back home after a 3A, 4A, 7A, or 8A championship game. Or making that drive down for the 1A (Lena Winslow) or 5A (LaGrange Park-Nazareth Academy)10AM game).

8A Lincolway vs Loyola Academy
7A Mount Carmel vs Batavia
4A Providence Catholic
3A Elmhurst

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

One thing that might hurt our bid is the state of the Horton side. The restrooms are in pretty bad shape. Almost every bathroom stall has rust literally flaking off of them. I hadn’t been in those since the East side opened up and was really surprised.
Would the BLM/NOR business community contribute money/proceeds from the State Finals to ISU for cost to host the playoff’s? If so, maybe they could use those finances to upgrade the stadium.

Virginia Redbird

One thing that might hurt our bid is the state of the Horton side. The restrooms are in pretty bad shape. Almost every bathroom stall has rust literally flaking off of them. I hadn’t been in those since the East side opened up and was really surprised.
Do they really need the Horton side? I have not seen the HS playoffs in a long time but I recall when I did watch the stands at the old Hancock were not exactly filled to capacity. With the renovations, I would think a HS crowd could be held with just the main stands now. I went to a game about 4 years ago now at Hancock and it seems there is plenty of room on just one side. Do the HS playoffs get that big of a crowd these days? I can't say myself. For the few fans that wander off to the Horton side, it is probably not that big a deal.

ISUBU

Bid or not, this sounds like maintenance/repair that needs to be done. Not unusual at any institution.

fourthandshort

Yeah, every men’s stall looked at least like this. It really surprises me because everything else looked freshly painted.

That some seriously good reporting !!

I assume talks of demoing Horton (or not), have probably caused them to limit certainly maintenance/capital improvements. But at this point, we're kinda stuck for a while.

Birdswin

Yes, they would most definitely need the Horton side - I was at the 1A and 2A games this year. Watched a lot of the others - there is no question. What I would like to see the IHSA do - is alternate the game times like some other states, so over a 4 year period, each class gets the 10:00 am start time and so on.

TIMMY

I know for a fact that Craig Anderson personally inspects each and every shit house before the IHSA commits to a venue. Can someone please grab a paintbrush?

Phantom

It'd be great to have the state games back at Hancock. Perfect size venue, perfect location. Shouldn't take that much to touch up the Horton side bathrooms. Hell, just grab a can of Rust-Oleum in a pinch and have at it.

Bird Friend

I would expect nothing less than stellar sleuth reporting - regarding bathroom stalls - from a 007 agent named evenflow. Can't wait for tomorrow's update at Redbird. I mean, CEFCU.
What happened to Agent Two-Ply? He get flushed?

Top Bottom