Hopefully...Coach Muller through 2024....

chuckie1980

Contract extension...

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/29/mens-basketball-muller-signs-contract-extension-through-2024.aspx?path=mbball

TreRoberson4Heisman

Well earned and well deserved!

Maybe in those SEVEN years + (hopefully) the Birds dominate The Valley and then join a more prestigious conference.

Redbirdwarrior

WOOOO! Score! Got one of the very best young coaches in college basketball signed through 2024! I frankly think he deserves more $$$ per year, but $600K/yr is about $15,000 take home every two weeks. I think coach can be pretty happy with that!

Congrats Dan Muller! Now, let's go make it to the big show.

Redbirdfan21

Glanced thru article and didn't see mention of s buyout if he leaves. Assume they wouldn't announce they in the press release anyway. But who is going to find his contract via FOIA and see if there is a buyout?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Redbirdfan21 said:
Glanced thru article and didn't see mention of s buyout if he leaves. Assume they wouldn't announce they in the press release anyway. But who is going to find his contract via FOIA and see if there is a buyout?

A keen eye would keep an eye on the BoT meeting notes. I believe they have to approve?

ThisIsTheLineup

Someone correct me if I am wrong, a FOIA request on a contract would most likely be denied due to it being a personnel matter.

ISU FAN 1

Congrats to Dan. But likely meaningless in terms of keeping Dan thru 2024 if a P5 type decides they want him. Need to dominate the Valley, and create conference upgrade opportunities quickly.

Baltimore Bird

This is outstanding news for our program. I understand it is not the Golden Handcuffs, but $600kW in BNO will go along way. GO BIRDS!

ChiRedbirdfan

With the exception of a possible buyout giving ISU some additional cash to go find a new coach to replace Muller this contract does very little for ISU especially regarding keeping Muller as ISU's head basketball coach. If a Dayton Flyer type of basketball program or better comes calling those programs will have no problem luring Muller away with much better compensation to go along with likely better facilities, better conference mates, better post season chances as well as an enhanced ability to recruit. The referenced $600,000 annual compensation needs to be increased by 50% just to get near UNI's basketball coach's annula compensation. I was hoping to see ISU invest more of the athletic department's 26.2 MM annual revenue into paying Muller more annual compensation which is the best way to keep him here. With higher compensation his buyout would become much more expensive too and also help to retain him.

I am willing to bet Muller is gone from ISU before the start of the 2019-20 basketball season. PM me if anyone wants to bet me on this.

TreRoberson4Heisman

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/isu-gives-muller--year-extension/article_2bf55a9f-572f-5b9f-8164-d40a70a890ce.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Love the little kick in if Muller departs:
"If Muller were to leave ISU for another Division I head coaching position, Lyons said the buyout would be $50,000 and a future home-and-home series with the Redbirds."

ChiRedbirdfan

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/isu-gives-muller--year-extension/article_2bf55a9f-572f-5b9f-8164-d40a70a890ce.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Love the little kick in if Muller departs:
"If Muller were to leave ISU for another Division I head coaching position, Lyons said the buyout would be $50,000 and a future home-and-home series with the Redbirds."

I like it too.

Wish they could have added that ISU must be allowed to join Muller's new conference. :D

Hamdonger

ChiRedbirdfan said:
With the exception of a possible buyout giving ISU some additional cash to go find a new coach to replace Muller this contract does very little for ISU especially regarding keeping Muller as ISU's head basketball coach. If a Dayton Flyer type of basketball program or better comes calling those programs will have no problem luring Muller away with much better compensation to go along with likely better facilities, better conference mates, better post season chances as well as an enhanced ability to recruit. The referenced $600,000 annual compensation needs to be increased by 50% just to get near UNI's basketball coach's annula compensation. I was hoping to see ISU invest more of the athletic department's 26.2 MM annual revenue into paying Muller more annual compensation which is the best way to keep him here. With higher compensation his buyout would become much more expensive too and also help to retain him.

I am willing to bet Muller is gone from ISU before the start of the 2019-20 basketball season. PM me if anyone wants to bet me on this.

WINDOW DRESSING.

Agree. The buyout is short insignificant pickles but the home&home is a cute little peanut. That actually could cause some problems, but in saying that I wonder if there's a buyout (on top of the original buyout) on the home and home agreement?

I'm happy for Dan, happy that ISU reached out and they really offered the best they could. Think about that as you think about this:

We don't have the chops to compete, money-wise, in paying Dan. We need another 2.5M annually for the basketball program. There's no way to predict when, because of the varying tables of NCAA coaching dominos...but at some point HE GONE.

Could be NEXT YEAR if we have a solid year, or if the dominos are just right.

I don't think this was CHIRedbirdFan's idea of "lock him up." We'll need handcuffs to do that.

ChiRedbirdfan

Humdinger said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

WINDOW DRESSING.

Agree. The buyout is short insignificant pickles but the home&home is a cute little peanut. That actually could cause some problems, but in saying that I wonder if there's a buyout (on top of the original buyout) on the home and home agreement?

I'm happy for Dan, happy that ISU reached out and they really offered the best they could. Think about that as you think about this:

We don't have the chops to compete, money-wise, in paying Dan. We need another 2.5M annually for the basketball program. There's no way to predict when, because of the varying tables of NCAA coaching dominos...but at some point HE GONE.

Could be NEXT YEAR if we have a solid year, or if the dominos are just right.

I don't think this was CHIRedbirdFan's idea of "lock him up." We'll need handcuffs to do that.

How can UNI pay Jacobson $900,000 a year of annual compensation on an annual athletic department revenues of $17.5 million but we can not afford to pay Muller same or more on a $26.2 million annual athletic department budget? WTF is going on with ISU athletic finances? Something is amiss and I am fearful it may be due in part to ISU athletics having so many employees/retires that also bring along strangling pension obligations. Somebody please say this is not the cause.

Find some money for Muller and lock him up the right way. Invest long term in this basketball program.

Hamdonger

Good question.

This contract is much ado about nothing in regards to locking Dan up. Nice headlines for a day, though.

Hamdonger

The pension obligations, though, are not on ISU or its AD budget, correct?

SgtHulka

ChiRedbirdfan said:
How can UNI pay Jacobson $900,000 a year of annual compensation on an annual athletic department revenues of $17.5 million but we can not afford to pay Muller same or more on a $26.2 million annual athletic department budget? WTF is going on with ISU athletic finances? Something is amiss and I am fearful it may be due in part to ISU athletics having so many employees/retires that also bring along strangling pension obligations. Somebody please say this is not the cause.

Find some money for Muller and lock him up the right way. Invest long term in this basketball program.
ISU and the Federal Government both buy their toilet seats from TPGuy at mildly inflated prices. Not much but table scraps after that

Top Bottom