Homecoming - North Dakota St.

Total Red

Staff member
Factors in our favor - we've had 2 weeks to prepare and oddly I think 2-3 vs. 5-0 is an ideal record for an upset. We're under .500 and they are having a perfect season. We could get overlooked.
Factors not in our favor - it's North Dakota St.

NDSU is another school that had a good young QB in Cam Miller, but in the Valley good is not good enough so they brought in a FBS transfer from Virginia Tech. QB Quincy Patterson is a 246lb. fullback with a decent throwing arm.

Bryce Jefferson is expected to return for us at QB over Jackson Waring. NDSU had 5 sacks last weekend against N. Iowa so maybe Jefferson should have recuperated a little longer.

Our power running game has come unplugged and it's not likely to recharge against the Bison. I think we'll need a game plan that smaller schools have used against us when they don't match up well on the line of scrimmage. Butler used a lot of short passes and utilized misdirection is the running game. I noticed that the Jaguars did the same thing in their Thursday night game against the Bengals. Trevor Lawrence would fake the handoff to James Robinson. Robinson would attract the linebackers and Lawrence would then pull the ball out and take it the other way. Maybe Jefferson can get some yards that way. Of course that fake is more effective with a James Robinson.

On defense we need to tackle better. The guy that impresses me with his technique is young Franky West. Grab the legs and wrap up!! He's not the most imposing player we have on defense but he is reliable.

It's Homecoming so we'll have a big crowd. Play inspired, anything can happen.

fourthandshort

TR .. you referenced not having JR to help with play action .. and run game against Bison.

Good news ... I think I found a loophole noone else ever thought of .. until now, that is !!!

As I recall, James never redshirted. Furthermore .. WORK WITH ME HERE, OK ..... NCAA allows student athletes to redshirt any year they want and can play up to 4 games without using a year of eligibility ... YOU STILL WITH ME ??? ... ok, so what if JR came back as 5TH YR senior, declared it a RS season and played 4 games ?

It could happen ... right ??

angels-in-the-outfield-joseph-gordon-levitt.gif

Total Red

Staff member
TR .. you referenced not having JR to help with play action .. and run game against Bison.

Good news ... I think I found a loophole noone else ever thought of .. until now, that is !!!

As I recall, James never redshirted. Furthermore .. WORK WITH ME HERE, OK ..... NCAA allows student athletes to redshirt any year they want and can play up to 4 games without using a year of eligibility ... YOU STILL WITH ME ??? ... ok, so what if JR came back as 5TH YR senior

As I recall, James never redshirted. Furthermore .. WORK WITH ME HERE, OK ..... NCAA allows student athletes to redshirt any year they want and can play up to 4 games without using a year of eligibility ... YOU STILL WITH ME ??? ... ok, so what if JR came back as 5TH YR senior, declared it a RS season and played 4 games ?

lol -You better come up with an $800,000 NIL agreement because I think James is making 780,000 this year with the Jags.

Bird Friend

Factors in our favor - we've had 2 weeks to prepare and oddly I think 2-3 vs. 5-0 is an ideal record for an upset. We're under .500 and they are having a perfect season. We could get overlooked.

NDSU is another school that had a good young QB in Cam Miller, but in the Valley good is not good enough so they brought in a FBS transfer from Virginia Tech. QB Quincy Patterson is a 246lb. fullback with a decent throwing arm.

Bryce Jefferson is expected to return for us at QB over Jackson Waring. NDSU had 5 sacks last weekend against N. Iowa so maybe Jefferson should have recuperated a little longer.

Our power running game has come unplugged and it's not likely to recharge against the Bison. I think we'll need a game plan that smaller schools have used against us when they don't match up well on the line of scrimmage. Butler used a lot of short passes and utilized misdirection is the running game. I noticed that the Jaguars did the same thing in their Thursday night game against the Bengals. Trevor Lawrence would fake the handoff to James Robinson. Robinson would attract the linebackers and Lawrence would then pull the ball out and take it the other way. Maybe Jefferson can get some yards that way. Of course that fake is more effective with a James Robinson.

On defense we need to tackle better. The guy that impresses me with his technique is young Franky West. Grab the legs and wrap up!! He's not the most imposing player we have on defense but he is reliable.

We had a power running game this year?

Virginia Redbird

Somehow I hear Al Micheals shouting, "Do you believe in miracles?" What the hell...nobody thought SIU had a chance against them last spring! Why not?

fourthandshort

lol -You better come up with an $800,000 NIL agreement because I think James is making 780,000 this year with the Jags.
TR ... Once again, you fail to see the big picture. Jags play on sundays, we play on saturdays. In fact, Jags can even have him the rest of week .. it's not like he needs to learn the plays.

Outside the box thinking, people .. this is what we need this year !!!!

:rolleyes:

gobirds85

Who does the scheduling? The Homecoming game opponent is supposed to be a "patsy". You know, a winnable game. What the heck?

RedbirdSoxFan

Who does the scheduling? The Homecoming game opponent is supposed to be a "patsy". You know, a winnable game. What the heck?
They would have had to schedule it opening day against Butler. Or maybe Senior Day against Indiana State (although that may not be a win)

jbird

This could be a bloodbath. NDSU has the stingiest scoring defense in FCS, allowing only 8.6 per game and they have FOUR running backs who average more than 6 yards per carry.

If the over/under is only 44, it's possibly because we are projected to be shut out.

Redbird222

This could be a bloodbath. NDSU has the stingiest scoring defense in FCS, allowing only 8.6 per game and they have FOUR running backs who average more than 6 yards per carry.

If the over/under is only 44, it's possibly because we are projected to be shut out.
I will take the over on ISU getting shutout

MadBird

Okay, have not heard from the Kool-Aid Krew yet, so here's some "food for thought".

Last spring, March 13, at Bisonville, Redbirds lost to NDSU 21-13. 8 point game. It was a one point game until 4 minutes left in the game.

Fall 2019, at Bisonville, Redbirds lost 9-3 to NDSU in the playoffs.

Bryce Jefferson at QB in both games. Okay, some guy Robinson was at RB in the 2019 game. But . . . .

It's not totally a lost cause here, IF, IFFF, the Redbirds snap out of it. Get after it.

gobirds85

I'd love to think we can stand toe to toe with these guys, but I'm not seeing it. And with that, I would happily be wrong here.

GO BIRDS!!!

CaliRdBrd

You have to think NDSU is itching to get that # 1 ranking back. They’ll pull no punches here.
NDSU - 48
ISU - 10

Top Bottom