Having fun yet?

Redbirdwarrior

So, in a year that was, without so much as saying so, a "rebuilding year" (Especially with Romine's issues and Copeland being ineligible), Muller has found a way to potentially have THREE contenders for first team all MVC on the floor at the same time and at least one player that will be getting heavy votes for POY (I argue he will actually have two when it is said and done).

More than that, he has been able to find time on the court for a BUNCH of young players, which will pay off huge 1-3 years down the line.

Birds are currently 9-7 (3-1) with an RPI of 71 and are just easing David and Clarence into minutes. I think we may have started the season fielding the weakest active roster possible and they are starting to really get better with consistency.

Having fun yet?

bb fan

Good post. I have found this a very entertaining, talented, likable group of guys. I am not surprised we have been up and down so far, with so many new players, injuries and other issues. I find myself looking forward to every game and think this could be a very special group. I'm having fun.

MadBird

My one snarky comment is, I'm not sure how much credit Muller deserves for "being able to find time on the court for a BUNCH of young players" - he really didn't have much choice. But no doubt he gets credit for keeping the wheels on the wagon.

There's a lot to like about this group. For the most part, they are "team players" and play within themselves. That's one thing I really like about Fayne - he knows his strength is down in the paint, hitting the boards hard, etc. You don't see him jacking threes. Evans and Malik area a little more interested in "going solo", but I can't really complain about either, they've been good leaders, and set their teammates up well. Hein has done just great filling in, he gets a little too "confident" now and then, but for the most part has not screwed up. Some on the board were predicting Madison would be most improved, good call. He looks like he belongs this year. Bruninga is often overmatched defending the post, but he's gonna be a solid player for ISU by the time he's done. Give him another 15 lbs. or so and he'll have his way with most "stretch 4's" he runs into. Gassman and Tinsley are finding their way, both have contributed along the way. Hoping Tinsley finds his eye here soon.

Clarance has been a disappointment to most of us, but only because expectations were so high (maybe unrealistically). Hopefully he'll keep his head up and stay with it (and here) and next year will be better.

Hopefully David comes along in the second half. If he gets on the court, and Tinsley can find the range, things will be very bright. No seniors!!

JHBird

Tinsley could really be the key to making our year. If he can just shoot like we hear he shoots in practice then we'll be hard to stop. Millik is almost impossible to stop from getting into the paint. Tinsley just needs to nail some of those open threes.

Baltimore Bird

Someone earlier posted about assigning eagles, birdies, pars, bogies, double bogies to wins and losses and that was a great way of looking at things. I think we all do it with players too. These golf scores are based on what I EXPECTED from each player. So, I have ISU at 1 under par, so I should be pleased as they have exceeded my expectations.

Eagles NONE
Birdies Milik, Keyshawn, Bruninga, Hein
Pars Madison, The Gassman, King David, Fayne
Bogies Tinsley
Double B Clarance

These golf scores are just based on their overall play vs the competition. I have ISU at even par. Per my computations, Milik, Fayne, Keyshawn, The Gassman, Bruninga and Madison should be getting most of the minutes.

Eagles Milik, Fayne
Birdies Keyshawn
Pars The Gassman, Bruninga, Madison
Bogies King David, Hein, Tinsley
Double B Clarance

CaliRdBrd

Baltimore Bird said:
Someone earlier posted about assigning eagles, birdies, pars, bogies, double bogies to wins and losses and that was a great way of looking at things. I think we all do it with players too. These golf scores are based on what I EXPECTED from each player. So, I have ISU at 1 under par, so I should be pleased as they have exceeded my expectations.

Eagles NONE
Bogies Tinsley
Double B Clarance

These golf scores are just based on their overall play vs the competition. I have ISU at even par. Per my computations, Milik, Fayne, Keyshawn, The Gassman, Bruninga and Madison should be getting most of the minutes.

Eagles Milik, Fayne
Birdies Keyshawn
Double B Clarance

You expected Hein to be a “birdie” but have now have him as a “bogie”? I would have swapped that.

ekeyfanclub

CaliRdBrd said:
Baltimore Bird said:

Eagles NONE
Bogies Tinsley
Double B Clarance

Eagles Milik, Fayne
Birdies Keyshawn
Double B Clarance

You expected Hein to be a “birdie” but have now have him as a “bogie”? I would have swapped that.

I think he meant their performance compared to what he expected from them to start the year. The 2nd score is how they have played overall. So Hein has played better than he expected, but his overall performance is still below average.

Brick

Actually though they’ll drive me crazy from time to time this team is fun. If it stays together it will be even more fun next year!

RedbirdSoxFan

Baltimore Bird said:

Eagles NONE
Bogies Tinsley
Double B Clarance

Eagles Milik, Fayne
Birdies Keyshawn
Double B Clarance

Boogie is a Bogie :dance:

Michigan Red

Oh yeah. Expectations (realistic or not) were tempered a bit with the guys who couldn’t be part of the fun, but at this point, 9-7,3-1 looks pretty decent and certainly in the mix. In my mind, DM has done a good job of mixing/matching who is available and to date is in a pretty good spot. Couple games hurt, Charleston Southern certainly, maybe even Murray State and definitely the debacle in Des Moines. IMHO, the big 3 will find themselves on the first or second all-conference team and the guys who have seen more time than expected have represented themselves fairly well. I thought this year was always about next year, from my perspective, with all the newcomers and unknowns. This year has been fun to follow, enjoy the ride, everything the team achieves this year is a building block to next year and beyond.

ThisIsTheLineup

Brick said:
Actually though they’ll drive me crazy from time to time this team is fun. If it stays together it will be even more fun next year!

That's my thing - this has been a roller coaster of a ride, but I know NEXT year will be the year for this group of players - making this season less stressful. When they win - it is awesome. When they lose, oh well. If this was to be the marquee year (like last year) and they were playing like they are, then yes I'd have high blood pressure :lol: :lol:

Baltimore Bird

Correct I had low or should I say no expectations for Hein and he has exceeded them but his overall play is still in the bogey range in my humble opinion

Bird Friend

Baltimore Bird said:

Eagles NONE
Bogies Tinsley
Double B Clarance

Eagles Milik, Fayne
Birdies Keyshawn
Double B Clarance

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bird Friend

These guys have fun:

https://twitter.com/ISURedbirds/status/950111825714171904

BTbird

From an MVC perspective. Drake is 4-0 and UNI is 0-4. Crazy Year!

Top Bottom