H/H vs #19 Purdue 3/17-3/21

Dmills

Purdue (15-0) is the only undefeated team in the nation. We are at home Thursday/Friday and traveling to West Lafayette on Saturday/Sunday. Huge home opener on Thursday. Hoping to see a good turnout at Duffy Bass. Gotta win 2 to hold steady at .500. Big opportunity for our at-large resume.

5:00 Thursday (H) ESPN+
2:00 Friday (H) ESPN+
12:00 Sunday (A) B1G+
3:30 Sunday (A) B1G+

B1G+ requires a separate subscription.

Last edited:

MadBird

Watched the last 4 or 5 innings, and it was sickening to see the Birds cough up a two run lead in the 9th. Wonderful to see them get the "gift" from PU - two walks to fill the bases and then a WP to send in the winning run in the 11th.

Which really bothered me when it looked like our Birds took the "celebration scrum" from the home plate area to in front of the Purdue dugout on the 3rd base line, and at least a few of the players kind of rubbed it in the Boilers' faces. A little bush league action, I'm afraid, IMHO, especially when you didn't win the game with a dinger or a stolen base or a clutch hit in the bottom of the inning, but instead got a gift from the losers. Maybe I didn't see it right . . . . .

Anyway, great victory by the Birds. Hope they can keep it up.

Dmills

Congratulated a couple of the guys after the game and they were really appreciative of the fan support tonight. Said that they really feed off the energy of the crowd. Duffy Bass was at about 75% seated capacity tonight, was definitely a fun one. Heck of an effort tonight from Salata and an outstanding inning from Jared Hart is what stuck out the most to me. Pretty entertaining to watch Purdue's coach get thrown out arguing a check swing call that I thought was easily the correct call in the 9th. Anyone know why Cermak wasn't playing??

Birdswin

Very happy the Birds won. I stopped after work, got there in the bottom of the first and stayed until extra innings. Coach Bass is rolling in his grave over how the Birds gave up all three runs, especially the first one. Duffy would have changed catchers on the spot - I was there for four seasons (79-83) - I saw him do it. All the catcher has to do is get down and block the throw from right field - you cannot allow that ball to go through your legs, hit your heel and deflect at a 90 degree angle and let a run score - after the runner was not trying to score on the fly ball.

After a dominating 10 pitch top of the eighth - why change pitchers?? Bad move and cost the Birds - double, walk, bunt single, walk - fantastic. Then a bobble by the third baseman - ugh.

I can understand a little celebration - but that was WAY, WAY over the top - given the mistakes made to allow the game go into extra innings. I guarantee - under Duffy, those players would not see the field for a while - maybe not even be allowed to dress today.

MadBird

Only Redbird fans can turn a positive into a negative. It really is something.
No, quinn, a win is great and I said in my post (and Birdswin in his) that it was great to win the game, but the "unsportsmanlike" celebration in front of Purdue's dugout was not "Redbird classy" in my opinion. Put a downer on an otherwise upbeat win (defeat undefeated Big 10+ team). But it was a case of pullin' one out of somewhere the sun don't shine.

cubird

Damn. Should have made the trip in town to watch the game and take home Avantis.

Trey_Guidry4three

I was at this game and I can yell you it was absolutely the most fun I've had at a redbird event since we beat ranked Dayton in basketball. Electric and contagious!!

Dmills

I've decided I am going to pay for the 1 month subscription to B1G+. If anyone else is looking to watch, there are 2 options. You can buy the $9.95 "School pass" which allows you to watch all the Purdue content for a month. Or you can buy the $14.95 "Conference pass" which allows you access to all content for a month. With the Illinois game less than 1 month away, the conference pass would allow you to see the 2 Purdue games and the Illinois game FYI. Just remember to cancel before the next charge if you do decide to subscribe

Last edited:

Dmills

Game today is postponed to tomorrow. Double header on Sunday

Dmills

Tough loss in game 1 of the doubleheader, 9-2. Can come away with a series win with a W in game 2. Wyman is starting. Maybe Sinisko vs UIC?

Last edited:

Dmills

Defense killing us in the third inning... ball off the leg of Sokolove in center field allowing 2 runners to advance into scoring position on a ball the Cermak might have been able to catch. Sokolove did follow that misplay up with a nice heads up play to throw the runner out at third trying to advance from second on a single. Then later in the inning, Darr drops a ball in right field that he lost in the sun. 4-1 Boilermakers after 3.

Hate to pile on here, but Sokolove dropped one in center in the fourth. Not exactly routine but one that you'd like to make nonetheless. Hard to think Cermak wouldn't have come up with that one. Able to escape the inning without any damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom