Great Game

Redbird82

I thought the men’s board was slow but the women have played 9 games since the last post on a game? Tonight’s game was a classic, and Lexi Wallen was incredible. She hit 2 3’s in the last 30 seconds to put in OT, made the tying basket end of 1st OT, and 2 free throws with 1.6 in 2nd OT to win the game. Her 34th and 35th points. Women now in 4th and odds are pretty decent to make NiT if they don’t win the tournament....

Hamdonger

Redbird82 said:
I thought the men’s board was slow but the women have played 9 games since the last post on a game? Tonight’s game was a classic, and Lexi Wallen was incredible. She hit 2 3’s in the last 30 seconds to put in OT, made the tying basket end of 1st OT, and 2 free throws with 1.6 in 2nd OT to win the game. Her 34th and 35th points. Women now in 4th and odds are pretty decent to make NiT if they don’t win the tournament....

:text-+1:

J0K3R2

Game was nuts! Shame there wasn’t more of a crowd on hand. Had my usual vantage point with the pep band. Neither team ever led by more than 6, if memory serves. Not sure that we ever led by more than four!

Wallen absolutely went off. Came up huge when we needed her—I think we were down 6 with under a minute left and I think just about everyone thought that was it. Nailed a three, Magett (I believe, can’t remember off the top of my head) stole the inbound from Loyola and dropped in a nice layup. Down just one and we had new life.

Great game by the women. Very exciting. It was a real shame how the refs called this one, too many weak fouls and some very frustrating non-calls (like the one at the end of OT1, we should have had two free throws with under 1 second left and the game tied). That one in particular had coach Gillespie mad, since we’d been on the wrong end of some similar plays and calls. Ultimately knocked the free throws and shots down In OT2 and pulled it out.

One question, for anyone that may have heard an explanation/radio broadcast: what happened at the very end of OT2? Loyola tried to inbounds, ball got tipped and a few players were scrambling for it. Didn’t seem to be any fouls, nor did it seem to be a held ball situation, but the officials went over to the monitor and spoke with both coaches and the scorer’s table before Dave Colee made the announcement that the game was over. Pep band was very confused albeit quite thrilled with the result.

Speaking of the scorers table—woof, they had a rough night, clock operators in particular. Though certainly no easy game to be a part of, in any facet, official, player, or fan!

On to the next. Here’s to optimism that we could hit 20 wins this season, but we’ll definitely need improvement away from Redbird to make a good NIT case.

Redbird82

They determined the clock was started late. There was 1.6 left when the ball was inbounded and over 2 seconds had passed by the time of the tie up so game over!

MadBird

Tuned in for a while early in the second half, then went on to some other things. It's a great team, they seem to play very well together and are comfortable in their roles.

Going back to Coach G's first year, they do seem to have a short bench again. Was hoping they'd get a longer rotation this year.

Redmond seems to be coming into her own. Wallen is a star. Gotta love Saylor, she seems to just go out and play hard. Talbot doesn't get stats but she's in there most of the time. Maggett is solid.

Not sure what they can get done in the conference tournament or if there's a chance they could play postseason, but it's a fun team to watch. Which I never thought I'd say about women's hoops! Shame on me.

Trey_Guidry4three

Great game. I couldn't tell from listening on the radio but several of my friends eluded to the clock being inaccurate towards end of game. The announcers made little mention of it. Any truth to this? I think this has been a problem for most women games this year, or so I hear ?

Top Bottom