Goodbye to schools that have bigger ambitions

crazzymark

Goodbye South Dakota State, North Dakota State, North Dakota and South Dakota and Missouri State who have bigger Ambitions in mind than playing in the small pond of Missouri Valley Football Conference. If it wasn't for the small-minded fan base at Illinois state Illinois state would have moved up too, they had an invitation. Even with the drawback of the men's basketball program.

redbirds2000

Goodbye South Dakota State, North Dakota State, North Dakota and South Dakota and Missouri State who have bigger Ambitions in mind than playing in the small pond of Missouri Valley Football Conference. If it wasn't for the small-minded fan base at Illinois state Illinois state would have moved up too, they had an invitation. Even with the drawback of the men's basketball program.
Where are they moving up to?? There's going to be the Big 10 and the SEC when this all shakes out. Half of the FBS schools are about ready to get demoted. Conference USA, AAC, MAC might be joining our world. Football has NEVER had the capability to go beyond the MAC. If NDSU had bigger ambitions, they should have done something about 5 years ago.

MadBird

Where are they moving up to?? There's going to be the Big 10 and the SEC when this all shakes out. Half of the FBS schools are about ready to get demoted. Conference USA, AAC, MAC might be joining our world. Football has NEVER had the capability to go beyond the MAC. If NDSU had bigger ambitions, they should have done something about 5 years ago.
I agree with your "vision". USC and UCLA weren't recruited to the Big "Tent" because of their "want to" or their rabid fan base - it was all about the LA TV market. The Dakota's, God bless them, aren't going to get recruited to anybody's "move up to" to capture their TV market (or fan base, for that matter.

We should be be working with the rest of the best of FCS and the FBS "left outs" to set up our own thing and do it right and maybe even do it with good old student athletes. What a concept.

Birdswin

From what I am hearing from a marketing rep - there are even higher ambitions from a number of schools to form an "Elite League/Division" - the only teams that would be included from the BIG Ten - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, with Nebraska as borderline. USC and UCLA are included. Sounds like Washington is not in. Look for Notre Dame, Clemson, and Oregon to make moves soon.

MadBird

From what I am hearing from a marketing rep - these are even higher ambitions from a number of schools to form an "Elite League/Division" - the only teams that would be included from the BIG Ten - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, with Nebraska as borderline. USC and UCLA are included. Sounds like Washington is not in. Look for Notre Dame, Clemson, and Oregon to make moves soon.
I've read a couple articles with similar versions of this, one "theory" being that this elite level would be somewhat fluid year to year, based on previous performance - you have a couple good years you go to the elite division for a couple. Referenced European soccer, which I know absolutely nothing about, so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Bird Friend

I've read a couple articles with similar versions of this, one "theory" being that this elite level would be somewhat fluid year to year, based on previous performance - you have a couple good years you go to the elite division for a couple. Referenced European soccer, which I know absolutely nothing about, so I have no idea what they're talking about.
Relegation. Be in the bottom few of your 'division' for a couple of years and your 'relegated' to the lesser league. You have to win your way back.

CaliRdBrd

I agree with your "vision". USC and UCLA weren't recruited to the Big "Tent" because of their "want to" or their rabid fan base - it was all about the LA TV market. The Dakota's, God bless them, aren't going to get recruited to anybody's "move up to" to capture their TV market (or fan base, for that matter.

We should be be working with the rest of the best of FCS and the FBS "left outs" to set up our own thing and do it right and maybe even do it with good old student athletes. What a concept.
USC’s fan base is legit

jbird

After my 2010 neurosurgery, I take personal offense to the use of the term "small-minded." But, keeping in mind that rumors are not proof and preliminary explorations are not invitations, I wonder what proof exists that ISU had a firm invitation for conference admittance above the Missouri Valley.

tjbison

you must know something I don't?

but yes there is a push for NDSU to jump that is gaining momentum in the Alumni base. UND, USD and SDSU nope of the latter 3 only SDSU would have a chance but lack of corporate support and the fact Brookings is 50 miles from an airport is going to greatly limit them.

we will see, lots can happen.

redbirds2000

you must know something I don't?

but yes there is a push for NDSU to jump that is gaining momentum in the Alumni base. UND, USD and SDSU nope of the latter 3 only SDSU would have a chance but lack of corporate support and the fact Brookings is 50 miles from an airport is going to greatly limit them.

we will see, lots can happen.
Which conference does the NDSU Alumni think they should jump to?

redbirdfan04

What would be the pupose to jump to a lower tiered D1 school right now? With all the movement happening who knows what is going to happen. I would be curious to know the difference in money if they moved from the Valley to a small D1 school? Also the city of Fargo owns the Dome, I imagine they would have a lot to say as well in this conversation.

jwa123

With the B1G and SEC carving up the landscape, will anything else really matter?

I am scratching my rather bald head wondering what’s to be gained from FCS to say the G5 like the MAC or Sunbelt? I’m thinking both will have limited relevance in this new world of big cable TV contracts to the favored few.

tjbison

What would be the pupose to jump to a lower tiered D1 school right now? With all the movement happening who knows what is going to happen. I would be curious to know the difference in money if they moved from the Valley to a small D1 school? Also the city of Fargo owns the Dome, I imagine they would have a lot to say as well in this conversation.

they have zero to do with decisions for NDSU Athletics, NDSU owns the ground its an on Campus City owed venue with NDSU being their top Tenant

fourthandshort

MWC would be Ideal
tjbison .. from your view, how much support is there for a jump among alumni and fan base ... is it 50/50 ? More, less .. just your sense ?

And does it at all depend on other Dakotas in terms of rivalry games ?

tjbison

tjbison .. from your view, how much support is there for a jump among alumni and fan base ... is it 50/50 ? More, less .. just your sense ?

And does it at all depend on other Dakotas in terms of rivalry games ?

in my circle of casual fans its 100% support going and many have said they would increase donations if an announcement was made. People are just not interested in watching Drake, Valpo, ect..anymore. Still lots of interest in MVFC games but thats slipping also.

NDSU left DII without Rivalry if the chance came to go MWC they would take it either FB only or All-sports. Ideally FB only would be a good start to get rolling and bring the other programs up.

we will see, going to be interesting next 3-5 years I think

CaliRdBrd

in my circle of casual fans its 100% support going and many have said they would increase donations if an announcement was made. People are just not interested in watching Drake, Valpo, ect..anymore. Still lots of interest in MVFC games but thats slipping also.

NDSU left DII without Rivalry if the chance came to go MWC they would take it either FB only or All-sports. Ideally FB only would be a good start to get rolling and bring the other programs up.

we will see, going to be interesting next 3-5 years I think
So, unlike Redbird fans, you have an intelligent fan base.

Top Bottom