Future Schedules

Total Red

Staff member
News has been released about a new non-con opponent for 2024 and '25. An away and home with FCS North Alabama. Since we already have FBS opponents for those years (Iowa '24 and Oklahoma '25), North Alabama is a good fit.

btw we do not have a FBS opponent for 2023 and there are not many options left but Navy is still available. As I posted before, Annapolis is an attractive trip I would like to make.

Virginia Redbird

News has been released about a new non-con opponent for 2024 and '25. An away and home with FCS North Alabama. Since we already have FBS opponents for those years (Iowa '24 and Oklahoma '25), North Alabama is a good fit.

btw we do not have a FBS opponent for 2023 and there are not many options left but Navy is still available. As I posted before, Annapolis is an attractive trip I would like to make.

I have been to Annapolis and the Naval Academy a bunch of times. Really nice area. A game with the Midshipmen would be a great road trip. If you like seafood there are plenty of spots to go. the Redbird's Defense would have their hands full. The Midshipmen run the triple option as well as anyone and most teams rarely see it. The DB's would have to buckle up because they would be in run support all day long.

Dmills

Teams that we have mutual openings with in 2023

Weekend of 9/2: Kansas, Alabama, Memphis, UCF, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, UAB, Notre Dame (Week 0 game in Ireland), Kent State, Louisiana

Weekend of 9/9: Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Northwestern (probably aren't ready to play us again), USC, FIU, FAU, Notre Dame, Louisiana

Note A: teams that are bolded have both dates open.
Note B: I left Navy off because they have 4 non-conference games already scheduled and they typically have 8 conference games, giving them a full 12 game schedule. They do have an opening on 9/9 however.
Note C: I left teams off such as BYU that already have an FCS game scheduled as it is unlikely they would be looking for 2.

I would think that we would be looking to play a game the first week of the season (9/2). FWIW on FBSchedules, ISU has 9/9 labeled as "OFF", so we are most likely looking more at the first group of teams I mentioned than the second.

Total Red

Staff member
Teams that we have mutual openings with in 2023

Weekend of 9/2: Kansas, Alabama, Memphis, UCF, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, UAB, Notre Dame (Week 0 game in Ireland), Kent State, Louisiana

Weekend of 9/9: Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Northwestern (probably aren't ready to play us again), USC, FIU, FAU, Notre Dame, Louisiana

Note A: teams that are bolded have both dates open.
Note B: I left Navy off because they have 4 non-conference games already scheduled and they typically have 8 conference games, giving them a full 12 game schedule. They do have an opening on 9/9 however.
Note C: I left teams off such as BYU that already have an FCS game scheduled as it is unlikely they would be looking for 2.

I would think that we would be looking to play a game the first week of the season (9/2). FWIW on FBSchedules, ISU has 9/9 labeled as "OFF", so we are most likely looking more at the first group of teams I mentioned than the second.
Memphis would be good.

Dmills

ISU86

Middle Tennessee State would be okay.

Going to start heading to Nashville in all other sports; Murfreesboro only thirty-five more miles.

ISU86

Randy was right on top of it, series was only announced 3 1/2 months ago.

Dmills

It looks like we are no longer scheduled to play Dixie State. We originally scheduled a 2 for 1 and then I believe the first game of the series was cancelled due to the pandemic. We had a November 19, 2023 game scheduled against them that I specifically recall. We now have 2 openings for 2023.

Finding an opponent for the last week of the season would be difficult. However, with Murray State joining the MVFC in 2023, the conference will have to reorient the schedule.

cpacmel

It looks like we are no longer scheduled to play Dixie State. We originally scheduled a 2 for 1 and then I believe the first game of the series was cancelled due to the pandemic. We had a November 19, 2023 game scheduled against them that I specifically recall. We now have 2 openings for 2023.

Finding an opponent for the last week of the season would be difficult. However, with Murray State joining the MVFC in 2023, the conference will have to reorient the schedule.
Not sure if those games are still scheduled or not. Dixie State has changed their name to Utah Tech.

They still list the 2 games on their future schedules but all games are listed as tentative

Dmills

Not sure if those games are still scheduled or not. Dixie State has changed their name to Utah Tech.

They still list the 2 games on their future schedules but all games are listed as tentative

Oh interesting. Thank you for the info!

fourthandshort

I hope we don't wind up with 2 patsies like we did this year ... I get our schedule is plenty tough already, but 2 weak non-conf wins doesn't look good when we're on the bubble .. extra win helps, but if someone else beat a good FCS, we're out. I just prefer the FBS, weak FCS, decent/strong FCS approach ... seems optimal for several reasons.

Dmills

I hope we don't wind up with 2 patsies like we did this year ... I get our schedule is plenty tough already, but 2 weak non-conf wins doesn't look good when we're on the bubble .. extra win helps, but if someone else beat a good FCS, we're out. I just prefer the FBS, weak FCS, decent/strong FCS approach ... seems optimal for several reasons.
I don't like it either, but do you consider EIU a weak FCS then? I would say most years they are, but we really don't have flexibility given the history of the rivalry.

That leaves us with the usual PFL game or other weak opponent at home which I would be fine getting rid of but it is usually our one gimme game. That game is oftentimes a nice feel good game where we can get other players involved but is by no means necessary. I wish we had more flexibility with the schedule. I would like to see how we compete with strong FCS programs early in the season. Regular season games against top 25 FCS schools. We had NAU a few years ago, but I don't think they finished the season well. It's definitely hard with only 3 non-conference games.

I do agree that format of scheduling hurts us in the end especially when we lose against the FBS team.

fourthandshort

I don't like it either, but do you consider EIU a weak FCS then? I would say most years they are, but we really don't have flexibility given the history of the rivalry.

That leaves us with the usual PFL game or other weak opponent at home which I would be fine getting rid of but it is usually our one gimme game. That game is oftentimes a nice feel good game where we can get other players involved but is by no means necessary. I wish we had more flexibility with the schedule. I would like to see how we compete with strong FCS programs early in the season. Regular season games against top 25 FCS schools. We had NAU a few years ago, but I don't think they finished the season well. It's definitely hard with only 3 non-conference games.

I do agree that format of scheduling hurts us in the end especially when we lose against the FBS team.

Scheduling is not easy for sure. And EIU used to be competitive more often than lately. During 12 game season, I like the EIU and PFL game slate, since that still leaves one game open for a decent/good FCS, plus the FBS.

As for EIU .. i used to like this game because it was good rivalry game .. but not so much of late. I would be open to doing that game every other year, just to keep the rivalry aspect going.

Anyway ... not worth losing sleep over. I just know the selection committee rarely gives the MVFC its due for playoffs. Way more often than not, they screw 1 of our teams .. last year, they screwed SIU. Ive compiled the MVFC playoff records since 2010 in past .. our collective records EXCLUDING NDSU against non-MVFC opponents is like .650 win % ... no other conference is close. Then NDSU playoff record is like .950 win %. PLus they've knocked at least 9 very good MVFC teams out along the ways .. SDSU 4 times.

This screams, we dont get the # bids we deserve.

Dmills

Scheduling is not easy for sure. And EIU used to be competitive more often than lately. During 12 game season, I like the EIU and PFL game slate, since that still leaves one game open for a decent/good FCS, plus the FBS.

As for EIU .. i used to like this game because it was good rivalry game .. but not so much of late. I would be open to doing that game every other year, just to keep the rivalry aspect going.

Anyway ... not worth losing sleep over. I just know the selection committee rarely gives the MVFC its due for playoffs. Way more often than not, they screw 1 of our teams .. last year, they screwed SIU. Ive compiled the MVFC playoff records since 2010 in past .. our collective records EXCLUDING NDSU against non-MVFC opponents is like .650 win % ... no other conference is close. Then NDSU playoff record is like .950 win %. PLus they've knocked at least 9 very good MVFC teams out along the ways .. SDSU 4 times.

This screams, we dont get the # bids we deserve.
All good points made that I generally agree with. I feel the exact same way about the 12 game seasons.

Dmills

Some comments by Brennan on the 2023 schedule. If we don't get the FBS guarantee game payout, given that the EIU game is going to be away in 2023, I would guess we will look to schedule a home game in its place. vs PFL (or other weak FCS) + @ EIU + vs FCS. Don't know if that would be a H/H or us buying out a team. As we have discussed, we don't have ton of scheduling flexibility so H/H's are difficult especially given the upcoming series with North Alabama.

Based on his comments, options for game 1 could include: Butler, Davidson, Dayton, Drake, Morehead State, Lindenwood,
Game 2 could include: UT Martin or Central Arkansas.

Would have to expand beyond the region for more opportunities. I wouldn't mind playing Lindenwood in 2023 in place of a PFL team.

Last edited:

cubird

Think Lindenwood and Southern Indiana are moving up to the OVC.

Dmills

In likely disappointing news for @fourthandshort, ISU has added home games against Dayton and Lindenwood to complete the non-conference schedule for 2023. Notice the Lindenwood game is on 9/23/23, so it will take place of the WIU game. That mean the MVFC will, as expected be reorienting our conference schedule for 2023 with the addition of Murray State. It looks like our bye week is going to be 9/9/23 unless we have an early conference game scheduled. This also confirms there will be no FBS opponent in 2023 for the first time since 2017 (Non-conference was not played in Spring 2021).

ISU has also added 2025 games against EIU and Morehead State to complete the 2025 non-conference slate.

Last edited:

Dmills

Some comments by Brennan on the 2023 schedule. If we don't get the FBS guarantee game payout, given that the EIU game is going to be away in 2023, I would guess we will look to schedule a home game in its place. vs PFL (or other weak FCS) + @ EIU + vs FCS. Don't know if that would be a H/H or us buying out a team. As we have discussed, we don't have ton of scheduling flexibility so H/H's are difficult especially given the upcoming series with North Alabama.

Based on his comments, options for game 1 could include: Butler, Davidson, Dayton, Drake, Morehead State, Lindenwood,
Game 2 could include: UT Martin or Central Arkansas.

Would have to expand beyond the region for more opportunities. I wouldn't mind playing Lindenwood in 2023 in place of a PFL team.
I said "IN PLACE OF", they only heard half of what I said🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom