Fix the Offense

MadBird

A week ago I thought I'd start this, to take some steam out of the "Fire Brock Spack" thread. Will go ahead and start it after all, simply because I want to post the names of some offensive coordinators and other potential OC's who are looking for work.

Today, Chris Kleiman, ex-Bison coach now at Kansas St., let his OC go, long time OC and QB coach Courtney Messingham. He has experience as an OC and QB coach at the JC, DIII, DII, FCS and FBS levels. He's 55 years old. Was OC at KState, NDSU, MIssouri St., Iowa St., Montana St. and several others. Played at UNI.

MadBird

Colorado St. let OC Jon Budmayr go after one year as OC and QB coach. Budmayr is from Woodstock IL, played HS at Marian Central Catholic, played QB at Wisconsin, coached QB's at Wisconsin for a couple years before the CSU appointment.

TIMMY

I don't know if Georgia's going to win this game or not. But if we could get a Georgia waterboy to steal their playbook and a couple of call sheets he can be my OC. It's just a beautiful balanced offense.

fourthandshort

I don't know if Georgia's going to win this game or not. But if we could get a Georgia waterboy to steal their playbook and a couple of call sheets he can be my OC. It's just a beautiful balanced offense.
Maybe the solution is much simpler than we are all thinking ....

1638715182072.jpeg

TIMMY

So I'll throw this out because the political stuff makes my head hurt. So how about some football?

I don't think anyone can argue Georgia and Alabama are well-coached. My wife would say duh to that. Watching Saturday I concentrated on what they both ran on possession and 10. It was about 50/50 run-pass. Then as a drive moves on 1st and 10. About the same but it was a little heavy pass. IMO it should always be between 60/40 one way or the other. It's important because it sets you up for the rest of the drive and keeps the defense honest.

I'm not going back to watch it but I'd be willing to bet we were at best 80/20 run. Very lopsided run. Now I get why. We didn't throw it well and had no confidence in the pass offense. But it shouldn't matter. You have to keep a defense relatively honest. You have to take some shots.

I kept thinking all year that I just can't imagine they did the first thing an OC should do after every game. Sit down with a beer and self-scout. What do y'all think?

I'm with you MadBird we have to find an OC.

Anyway feeble as it may be there's my attempt at talking football.

MadBird

So I'll throw this out because the political stuff makes my head hurt. So how about some football?

Amen brother. And I'm a political junkie, but I can't keep it going, at least until I get some more info.

Official stats say 395 rushing attempts and 224 passing attempts. 34 sacks, so that would be moved from the rush attempts to the pass attempts columm? So 361 run to 258 pass? 58% run to 42% pass.

Would like to see some of those "sophisticated" stats to see how many long shots we took.

Virginia Redbird

Amen brother. And I'm a political junkie, but I can't keep it going, at least until I get some more info.

Official stats say 395 rushing attempts and 224 passing attempts. 34 sacks, so that would be moved from the rush attempts to the pass attempts columm? So 361 run to 258 pass? 58% run to 42% pass.

Would like to see some of those "sophisticated" stats to see how many long shots we took.
That is interesting. Without looking up the stats I would have thought it was more unbalanced. Still, almost 60% of the time running is pretty high and makes your offense more predictable. Off the cuff, I would say the Birds did not go deep that often. It seemed the QB was under pressure often so time to throw deep was limited. I have seen most of the portal offers ISU has made so far seem to be the offensive line. I hope they get some of those guys. It all starts with the O-line. If they can't do their job then nothing much else is going to work for you.

Kind of nice to talk football! I am way away from Normal (my wife would say that without reference to the town). Are there any rumors or info on the coaching staff? Does it look like Spack is going to hold steady with what he has? I am guessing if he is going to make any changes he may wait until the playoffs are over or close to over.

TIMMY

The AFCA Convention is from Jan. 9-11 in San Antonio. 🍻 There will be a lot of coaching movement during and after that. In the past, not much happened until after the early signing period December 17th. I think the transfer portal recruiting might change some of that.

MadBird

Idaho fired HC Paul Petrino, so there may be some assistants looking for work.

The QB coach and Assistant HC at Idaho is Charley Molnar, a former ISU OC (1990-93) and QB coach, also has been OC with Brian Kelly at Central Mich, Cincy and Notre Dame. Also OC at Kent St. and HC for two seasons at UMass.

DannyCooksey

If the QB room doesn’t change will there be a wide open competition in the spring and summer for starting job?
Whether it’s someone on this roster or a xfer there has to be consistent QB play with at least avg big play ability.

StLRedbird

First down plays only in 2021...
Edit: With column headers. Morning brain was not engaged.

OpponentRushesPasses
Butler
8​
3​
WMU
8​
3​
EIU
8​
1​
SIU
10​
3​
MSU
9​
4​
NDSU
7​
4​
USD
8​
4​
WIU
11​
2​
UNI
13​
1​
UND
8​
2​
INSU
6​
6​
Total

Notes:
QB rushes and sacks counted as passes

Last edited:

MadBird

Kevin Morris resigned as OC at Penn. Extensive (20+ year) FCS experience as OC/QB coach. All out east tho. Head coach at UMass for 3 years.

crazzymark

You want an easy solution to the offensive woes? Go to the big receivers way receivers are with great talent two of them are 2 and 3 star recruits. Average height is 6'4" between and very talented tight ends to it 6'5 "and 6'6". I think the offensive line will fall into place and fortunately we have a quarterback 6 5 and they can see over the offensive line for the most part but we need the big receivers and throw a high and make a big difference

MadBird

EIU found a new OC:

Eastern Illinois (FCS): Joe Davis, who spent the last few seasons on staff at Albany (FCS - NY) as associate head coach / offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach, has joined Adam Cushing's staff as offensive coordinator. Davis, who is highly regarded his track record of developing quarterbacks, has also held coordinator titles at Shippensburg (D-II - PA), Fordham (FCS), Northern Iowa (FCS), Wheaton (D-III - IL) and North Park (D-III - IL).

Virginia Redbird

EIU found a new OC:

EIU was looking ... from what Spack is quoted as saying he is not really looking yet. Timmy gave a good rundown of why it would be a good choice to wait. Sounds like EIU got a good guy to be their OC. I hope the Redbirds make some good adjustments to their offensive coaching staff.

MadBird

Sounds like Bielema is changing OC's at UIUC - Tony Peterson may be available:

Tony Petersen will not return as Illinois offensive coordinator, sources confirmed to FootballScoop on Tuesday. Jeremy Werner of Illini Inquirer first reported the news earlier this evening.

Significant experience at FBS and FCS levels as OC and QB coach. Marshall, Minnesota, App State, S.Dakota, E.Carolina, LA. Tech.

topiarydan

Colorado St. let OC Jon Budmayr go after one year as OC and QB coach. Budmayr is from Woodstock IL, played HS at Marian Central Catholic, played QB at Wisconsin, coached QB's at Wisconsin for a couple years before the CSU appointment.
I think most of staff was let go after HC got fired

Top Bottom