Fisher

TBS_20

1. Fisher wasn't that good and wouldn't have made much difference. Maybe we lose by 27 instead of 31. 2. Can anyone take Benson seriously if he thinks Bruninga and Chastain would have been the answer if not for injury? Is he blind or just suckling the tit because he's surely not serious. Chastain was never good and Bruninga was only an outside threat if we're honest.

ISU FAN 1

In Benson’s “ideal world”, Fisher, Bruninga, and Chastain would comprise ISU’s front court? That’s not my ideal world.

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

1. Fisher wasn't that good and wouldn't have made much difference. Maybe we lose by 27 instead of 31. 2. Can anyone take Benson seriously if he thinks Bruninga and Chastain would have been the answer if not for injury? Is he blind or just suckling the tit because he's surely not serious. Chastain was never good and Bruninga was only an outside threat if we're honest.
Fisher was one of the better players in the league the last 3rd of last season. You just like to throw shit out there!

TBS_20

Fisher was one of the better players in the league the last 3rd of last season. You just like to throw shit out there!
You mean his 9.5 points and all of his 6 rebounds? Wrong. He's just one of the better isu players. Which is sad. It's sunk so low people think fisher, chastain, and bruninga are good when they're nothing more than bench players, chastain not even that.

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

You mean his 9.5 points and all of his 6 rebounds? Wrong. He's just one of the better isu players. Which is sad. It's sunk so low people think fisher, chastain, and bruninga are good when they're nothing more than bench players, chastain not even that.
Last 10 Games 13.0 points 6.9 rebounds
But hey, you just keep throwing your bullshit out here! Fisher was one of the better returning players in the MVC, and would have made the Redbirds a much better team. Their biggest holes right now are senior leadership, and power forward.

Adunk33

Staff member
I understand the point of this article. But really think it was unnecessary to throw Fisher under the bus after he made a decision that was right for him and his family.

Anyone who has watched the team play knows what the issues are. Very unnecessary and pointless column.

Would Fisher have been the savior? Nah, probably not. Did there need to be an article re-emphasizing his tough decision months after the fact? I don’t think so. Maybe that’s just me though...

TBS_20

I understand the point of this article. But really think it was unnecessary to throw Fisher under the bus after he made a decision that was right for him and his family.

Anyone who has watched the team play knows what the issues are. Very unnecessary and pointless column.

Would Fisher have been the savior? Nah, probably not. Did there need to be an article re-emphasizing his tough decision months after the fact? I don’t think so. Maybe that’s just me though...
Benson id nothing more than Dan's mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to write it.

Redbird222

Losing Fisher did hurt this team especially given the timing. Our front court is once again weak and Keith paired with Dusan would have been a step in the right direction. Not only did we lose his production we lost his experience and leadership.

The lack of front court presence the past few years has been devastating as far as I'm concerned. We often forced Malik to play out of position or didn't have that complimentary piece to Phil. Without Fisher, our bigs are slow, lacking offensive moves, and generally lost on defense. They constantly put our guards in piss poor situations both offensively and defensively. They can't flash on a pick and roll and get back to the opposing center or forward. Look at the Loyola game and watch how Dusan and Andrews defend the pick & role. Its pathetic. Rey use to do the same thing.

My opinion has been that Muller undervalues the front court players. Off the top of my head, Hawkins, Lynch, Phil, and Keith were all viable D1 Mid major front court players. Maybe throw Middlebrooks in there from a talent position but he played like 5 games for us. Perhaps Bruninga who was unfortunately hurt more than he played.

I consider Malik, Chastain and McIntosh more swing player than true front court players even though they were often forced to match up against from court players.

I look at players like David, Samuel, Ransom, Abdou, Baynard, Washington, Elvis, Rey, and Romine and they generally were one dimensional and/or were projects at best. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other front court players Muller recruited the first 8 years which is another issue. We need to invest more scholarships in the front court.

I look at our latest recruits and Kotov, Dusan, and Andrews they seriously lack foot speed. Dusan has upside but Loyola exposed his inability to play the pick n roll and quite frankly exploited us. Sy never plays so can't really apine here except perhaps a wasted scholarship.

This year we invested more in front court scholarships than ever but in prior years we we often settled for 3 front court players in total. Thats tough when one or two are a project and injuries or a Middlebrooks departure leaves you constantly short. How do you practice with just three front court players?

Our defensive rebounding is generally below average because of a lack of talent and us being in the wrong position due to poor rotations on pick n rolls.

If we had better bigs with an offensive presence we would have less turnovers and less droughts in my opinion. We put too much pressure on our guards. If all our big can do it set a pick it makes the defense so much easier. Sag back take away the drive. Force us to play perimeter ball. Looks at our bigs when they get the ball out front ... they struggle to take a dribble, they look awkward on passes and are good for at least 1 to 2 offensive fouls on screens a game. They don't use their body well to seal off their defender to create a proper passing lane for the guards. Remember how Hawkins could post low, command a ball, turn right and baby bank for two. The defenders knew what was coming but he knew how to use his body to get the advantage over the defender. Can we get 2 front line players in the same season beside 2017 when we had Hawkins and Phil? Please Please Please. Keith with Dusan may have been the closest to that so it is disappointing Keith left and in my opinion impactful. That said Muller and the coaches need to recruit better bigs and like this year use more scholarships on them. Period!!

I dont see theloss of Chastain and Bruninga the same way as Keith. Maybe in experience. Both if healthy could be good role players but that being said were not healthy most of their careers at ISU. Additionally, we knew one wasn't returning prior to the end of the season and one just after it ended. There was much more time to find an adequate replacement. Dusan maybe Kotov, Sy, and Andrews fit the same project or stretch mold. Andrews is a freshman and maybe I should back off here but he has a long way to go.

If we want to make out guards better recruit a better front court!!

Redbirdfan76

Well said 222!! Get Mahorcic on the block and feed him 10 times a game. Or feed him at the high post and ask him to try and get to the basket. Need him to develop over the season to help our guards.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
It's not that they were all americans. It's the timing of them. I don't blame Fisher for his decision at all, he did what he needed to do. BUT....it put the team at a disadvantage as their lone senior and best frontcourt player was suddenly gone with no time to replace him. Or even get used to playing without him.

TBS_20

Fisher would have no effect on the season record. if they finish 8-18 they would have finished 8-18 with Fisher.

Brick

I think Fisher would have made a significant difference. Right now we have NO forwards that opponents have to worry much about defending. Fisher in the latter part of last season was a player that teams had to defend and he also could get rebounds and score in traffic. All world no good player yes

TBS_20

fisher may have made a difference in a one point game but theyre getting blown out. he has no effect.

Redbird222

I agree. Kid looks great in that new system, and most definitely improved his skills! That points to coaching IMO! Got a big time win over #5 Houston last night.
I saw a few games and he looks better offensively but he is still a defensive liability.

ricohill

With or without him, we aren’t an NCAA Tournament team. That’s the only thing that matters.

Fisher is certainly better than what we have, but there is no guarantee if he stays something doesn’t happen (injury, foul trouble etc...) and you are still left with a roster that doesn’t have a D1 ready forward or center.

Top Bottom