FIRE BROCK SPACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virginia Redbird

I fully understand what Spack has done for the program. Also that another coach may not be better. I am not on the bandwagon to fire him now but I am feeling more and more that maybe a change is needed. Everyone and everything can get stagnant and complacent. I don't think ISU will fire him with time left on his contract either regardless of win/loss records. I get it these were tough years with Covid, etc. but every program had to deal with all the same issues. It is the coaching philosophy that I am beginning to wonder about. They have a decent QB and the backup played well today in his debut. They need offensive linemen and receivers. I like the new O-coordinator but if those were his play calls today, then not so much today. If more mediocrity occurs next year then maybe it is time to look for a change and move on. Maybe it goes back to annual losing records or maybe it moves the program ahead. Next year will be 15 years for Spack in Normal. That is a long time for a college coach.

Redbird

“But what if the next guy is bad?!?” That’s what most of you sound like. Keep holding onto those 6-5 records boys.

Redbird15

I fully understand what Spack has done for the program. Also that another coach may not be better. I am not on the bandwagon to fire him now but I am feeling more and more that maybe a change is needed. Everyone and everything can get stagnant and complacent. I don't think ISU will fire him with time left on his contract either regardless of win/loss records. I get it these were tough years with Covid, etc. but every program had to deal with all the same issues. It is the coaching philosophy that I am beginning to wonder about. They have a decent QB and the backup played well today in his debut. They need offensive linemen and receivers. I like the new O-coordinator but if those were his play calls today, then not so much today. If more mediocrity occurs next year then maybe it is time to look for a change and move on. Maybe it goes back to annual losing records or maybe it moves the program ahead. Next year will be 15 years for Spack in Normal. That is a long time for a college coach.
How can u say they need Receivers. When you have 3 receivers with 20 plus catches. No one is going to pass the ball against the wind today even with the wind we were lucky those were caught. Play call as far as passing the ball short we did not do. OL yes is needed. At end of the game even with 5 seconds we put two TE in spread with one speed receiver That was with the wind why not throw the ball deep but at same time we did not run a fly route. D. Sob is a great receiver but he is not a break a way WR. Even with the pass he caught earlier he as run down. He is a great midfield WR and Redzone WR catches the ball well on comebacks and over shoulder catches. The last breaker away WR we had was slot machine. Carr and Buckner are probably the fastest on the team but when have we seen they deep ball throw to them or anyone one consistently maybe 1x a game with all the WR this year. The game was lost when defense allow the 31 yard catch. Why blitz knowing they got to go the distant play conservative to allow YSU to catch 6/7 yard pass in front of you not let WR get deep. They were throw against the wind at that. Two 6/7 plays with stops on that series would have ran YSU out of time. YSU early in the game showed they were going to pour all marbles out of the bag when they were on there on 40 yardline on 4th and 3's etc going for it and was not conservative even trying to throw the deep ball against the wind. We did not even try to throw any pass more that 15 yards but maybe 3x the entire game.

TBS_20

I agree. Time to go. His good grace is gone. It's been 7 years of mostly crap. Who cares if the next one is bad? 6-5 and 2-9 get you to the same place. Just keep going until you succeed.

redbirds2000

“But what if the next guy is bad?!?” That’s what most of you sound like. Keep holding onto those 6-5 records boys.
If the next guy is bad, go get the next guy and then the next guy. It's 2022, rebuilding for 2 or 3 years is not a thing anymore. I'm with you. Going 6-5 and hoping for the best the next season isn't good enough. Let's be real. He caught lightning in a bottle in 2014 and 2015. He has come nowhere near putting that level of talent on the field since then.

ISUBird

I'm not looking to fire him, mainly because I don't see his contact being bought out, just don't renew his contact. He has three more years.

Bird Friend

Staff member
Oh yeah because he’s so good
Two issues--as I see it:

First, this sentiment will now infect every single thread on the football forum. It will get extremely tedious, tiresome, and argumentative. And most of the argument will be about who's a Spack apologist and who's a "true" fan. About who's okay with mediocrity and who's a realist. Which misses the point that most arguing to silence the "fire Spack" shouts are really not saying they agree or disagree. They're just saying can you shut the f--k up so I can watch the game or read the thread or learn more about the strengths/weaknesses of the players . . .

Second, firing Spack isn't going to happen during the season. We all KNOW that. So screaming about it during the remainder of the season isn't going to make it happen any sooner . . . it it happens at all.

Birgs

Regardless of whether it would be warranted, they're not going to fire him. Some realistic things to consider, rather than some of the usual mourth-breathing, chest-thumping blather, is that consider hime getting a little older, documented off-season health concerns, he - being the hard-nosed but classy man he is will probably spend a year grooming his replacement and graciously stepping away after next year. Will we be able to find a 20-year assistant that pimps his kid out to do podcasts and schedules exhibitions against his alma mater, who knows ( you know I say that all in jest... I am actually really warming up to Pedon) - just think the football hire would be different than what went on with hoops. Football is by far my favorite sport behind baseball/softball, but we all know ISU is a "basketball school." We have been lucky to have the Berry blip for a few years and the 'Stasche continuity.

CaliRdBrd

If the next guy is bad, go get the next guy and then the next guy. It's 2022, rebuilding for 2 or 3 years is not a thing anymore. I'm with you. Going 6-5 and hoping for the best the next season isn't good enough. Let's be real. He caught lightning in a bottle in 2014 and 2015. He has come nowhere near putting that level of talent on the field since then.
Agree His success was due to Tre…definitely not because he’s a great coach

CaliRdBrd

Two issues--as I see it:

First, this sentiment will now infect every single thread on the football forum. It will get extremely tedious, tiresome, and argumentative. And most of the argument will be about who's a Spack apologist and who's a "true" fan. About who's okay with mediocrity and who's a realist. Which misses the point that most arguing to silence the "fire Spack" shouts are really not saying they agree or disagree. They're just saying can you shut the f--k up so I can watch the game or read the thread or learn more about the strengths/weaknesses of the players . . .

Second, firing Spack isn't going to happen during the season. We all KNOW that. So screaming about it during the remainder of the season isn't going to make it happen any sooner . . . it it happens at all.
Here we go with the “ISU isn’t going to fire him because ISU never does that in the middle of a season so you’re not allowed to take about it” crap.

Redbird222

How can u say they need Receivers. When you have 3 receivers with 20 plus catches. No one is going to pass the ball against the wind today even with the wind we were lucky those were caught. Play call as far as passing the ball short we did not do. OL yes is needed. At end of the game even with 5 seconds we put two TE in spread with one speed receiver That was with the wind why not throw the ball deep but at same time we did not run a fly route. D. Sob is a great receiver but he is not a break a way WR. Even with the pass he caught earlier he as run down. He is a great midfield WR and Redzone WR catches the ball well on comebacks and over shoulder catches. The last breaker away WR we had was slot machine. Carr and Buckner are probably the fastest on the team but when have we seen they deep ball throw to them or anyone one consistently maybe 1x a game with all the WR this year. The game was lost when defense allow the 31 yard catch. Why blitz knowing they got to go the distant play conservative to allow YSU to catch 6/7 yard pass in front of you not let WR get deep. They were throw against the wind at that. Two 6/7 plays with stops on that series would have ran YSU out of time. YSU early in the game showed they were going to pour all marbles out of the bag when they were on there on 40 yardline on 4th and 3's etc going for it and was not conservative even trying to throw the deep ball against the wind. We did not even try to throw any pass more that 15 yards but maybe 3x the entire game.
There were 4 plays that could have helped us win

#1. If our TE doesn't hold on the our QBs run the clock continues to run. We are running the clock out and you just can't do that.

#2. You can't give up the 31 yd pass play especially when they have no time outs.

#3. The 15 yard penalty on the last drive hurt. I didn't even catch what happened.

#4. The last punt going in the end zone could have been executed better and could have pinned YSU further back. We were punting from the 30 something

ISUBU

In the last minutes...

Don't forget offensive holding on WR, I believe, that stopped the clock on the QB run.

Or the defensive holding on the DB.

I too thought it was crazy to keep rushing up the middle, those calls are on the coaches or the QB on options. But the players do have to execute.

Manchester Matt

We aren’t an offensive juggernaut obviously, but ISU averages a little less than six points in the second half of games this season.

In the last five games, the Redbirds have scored a combined 16 points in the second half.

Virginia Redbird

They need receivers in my opinion. I like Sobkowicz and he had a solid game. Is he a "great" receiver? In my opinion, the answer is no. He is someone a team needs to make the tough catch and keep drives alive but he is not the type of receiver that changes games. Carr has had some really terrific plays this year but again, not a consistent game-changer. That is not a criticism of these players. They add value to the team but I don't see a receiver on this team like Anthony Warrum or Andrew Edgar. Sobkowicz reminds me very much of Kacper Rutkiewicz. I did not think Kacper was a game-changer either but when you needed a tough third-down catch he came through more often than not. Yep, I think the receiving corps needs some help.

The Birds had two receivers that caught passes yesterday. YSU had five players with receptions. The numbers and yardage were not that unequal overall until you see that one Redbird player accounted for 96 yards of the receiving yardage. Not exactly balanced. How much of a threat was the Redbird receiving corps to the Penguins? Granted a new QB may have impacted that as well.

ILS - Receiving
PlayerRec.Yds.TDLong
Sobkowicz,Daniel696025
Deming,Bryson1707
Carr,Jalen0000
Buckner,Jerome0000
Wright,Wenkers0000
Totals7103025

YSU - Receiving
PlayerRec.Yds.TDLong
McLaughlin,Jaleel346039
Tomczak,Max238031
Oliver,Bryce229117
Serrano,Brandon217010
Fordham,Latrell113013
Rushton,Dra0000
Gillison,Trenton0000
Hensley,Luke0000
Totals10143139

RedbirdFanatic32

Here we go with the “ISU isn’t going to fire him because ISU never does that in the middle of a season so you’re not allowed to take about it” crap.
It's not that it's not allowed. It's that it's repetitive, tedious, and often delvoves into all-or-nothing blather between people that have no control over it. But again, If that's what gets you going, you're allowed.
My own view is in line with others in that I think its worth appreciating that he's the best coach in school history, and I don't think anyone can say he's not a good coach. BUT that doesn't mean we should be satisfied with winning seasons without playoff appearances. He's risen the program, but we need to take the next step. My first year at ISU was Spacks first year. The fact that we went 6-5 was treated like a herculean achievement (at least by the student body). Thats how irrelevant and pathetic the program was. Calling it an afterthought would've been an overstatement. Spack has risen expectations to consistent playoff appearances. If that's not happening, change is/has to be on the horizon. Since it's not happening (and assuming we don't rattle of 3 consecutive playoff appearances in the future), don't renew the contract, and find the next guy. He won't be inheriting a dumpster fire like others have.

Redbird82

I would say he gets next year to try to get back to playoffs, and he probably deserves it. But he is spending the capital he built up over the years, he set the bar higher and hasn’t met it in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom