FBS vs FCS: Why UConn should probably drop to FCS

ISU86

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/18/18187320/uconn-football-aac-fcs

Interesting article on the red ink hemorrhaging from the Connecticut athletic department and the +/- of staying in FBS without being a member of a power five conference.

Of course, the writer also assumes the Huskies would (almost) automatically be invited to join the Big East for all of their other sports as opposed to having to place them in the same conference they would park football (Colonial, Northeast).

Could Illinois State encounter a similar scenario if/when they move up to say a Mid-American, Sun Belt or USA (more likely first step then American or Mountain West)? Geographic proximity within the MAC may allow for a reduction in travel expenses as compared to being a member in the other non-P5 FBS conferences, but everything else should be similar.

bb fan

Interesting stuff. As I have posted before. I don't see any value in non P5 FBS football. Here is more fodder for that thought.

Birdman07

Not smart. They are in line to get a P5 spot. there are around 16 spots left before P5 football gets to 80 (16 per conference where many "experts" think it will end up and then those 80 will break off). UCONN is definitely getting a spot considering 16 spots are left...mainly because their basketball history though.

bb fan

That's been the plan for UConn -- to get a P5 spot. All along. It's the expectation of most AAC members. Heck, a couple of years ago, Cincy called a presser to announce joining the B12, but something fell through. I had a media friend in Cincy tell me he saw the backdrop with Bearcat and B12 logos all over it.

But, there's been a change in the landscape. What was once a huge payday with these conferences hitting up the CATV's in rights fees to carry their conference networks, That whole big $$$ is drying up and having problems. People are tired of the escalating costs of cable and cutting the cord -- in gigantic numbers. Many are coming up with hybrid solutions, like Sling and Netflix, etc. Now, the cable providers have been pushing back against all the new sports and other networks trying to feed off of them and drive up what they have to charge their customers.

Also, these national conference members are now realizing the exploding travel costs, for ALL sports. Student athletes spending tons of time in airports. Fanbases actually complaining about the lack of local rivals. As Quinnie reported in another discussion, even half of the P5 athletic programs are losing money. They are depending on student fees and other subsidies.

So now, the P5 conferences are actually putting off accepting new members. Because that cuts revenue shares to the current schools. It cuts CATV revenue, and NCAA revenue. So maybe it does make sense for UConn to go FCS. And I have posted before --- I think it's possible Creighton and Wichita regret their decision to change conferences at some point. I have a couple of CU fans that dislike the BE. Their closest conference foe is 500 miles away, and they hate the conference tourney being in New York. One actually waxes poetic about missing his hatred of Wichita.

College sports overall has lost fans. Nearly everywhere. Cable sports TV has become very saturated and congested. Football is a moneypit for colleges up to and including some prominent P5's. I would not be surprised to see UConn go FCS.

Top Bottom