Expansion Thoughts?

saxman210

https://twitter.com/fatherharry1/status/944371586148257798

Thoughts on who would be added? The replies include:

Murray State
Belmont
SLU
UMKC

Personally, I wouldn’t mind getting UIC in the Valley if they were interested in jumping from the Horizon. An extra annual game for our Chicago alum fanbase against a young team on the upswing wouldn’t hurt anything. The travel makes sense for most of the Valley as well.

RedbirdNation24

There’s no point in expanding unless it would actually make the league better. IMO, the only two that would make sense in that respect are SLU and Belmont, but unfortunately those seem to be the least likely. I wouldn’t mind Murray, but they’d have to add another, less desirable school to make it an even 12.

Adunk33

Staff member
Elgin was very clear after adding Valpo that he had every intention of expanding further. Especially with the p5 going to 20 conference games, it'd make scheduling a lot easier for us.

Redbird Alum 2004

I wonder if grand canyon would subsidize the travel if the other valley teams. They seem to want in Bali and they have the cash. Ok I know that wouldn't happen but I am afraid that is the only way it would. I would love SLU and Belmont. A Nashville trip would be fun every year.

cpacmel

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
You want the league to be better. The only clear team to do that is adding GCU.

Really?

They are 9-3!! Against the 343 easiest schedule. Keep in mind there are only 351 schools. Can you say cupcakes?

They have zero wins over teams over .500.

4 of their 9 wins are against winless teams.

How do they help the mvc get stronger? They seem to be trending downward.

Plus no way Indy State, siu and others sign off on that travel.

chuckie1980

GCU would have a rich athletic department....I would hate to have them in the conference...but maybe that's a good thing.

Add the Dakotas.

Reggie

GCU makes as much sense as when Boise State joined the Big East.

And why would SLU want to join the Valley?

Up next is the idea to move Valley football to FBS.

Sanantoniobird

**Murray State
**Stephen F. Austin - not sure anyone is talking about this school. A lot more feasible than Grand Canyon; northeast Texas. Exposure in Texas is ideal (especially vs. Arizona) mostly for football.
**Belmont

RedbirdSoxFan

CaliRdBrd said:

South Dakota State- 83 RPI
North Dakota State-98 RPI

Not great RPI’s, but would be top five in MVC. And they are already in the MVC in football.

Not saying they would be my choice, or the best choice, just a logical choice for adding two teams.

ThisIsTheLineup

It seemed like the Valley looked at three criteria in their past two additions:
1. TV market (and get decent coverage)
2. Donor base
3. Prestige

Loyola had 1 and 2. Valpo had 2 and 3.

SLU and Belmont would have all three.

If we see NDSU and SDSU join, then it becomes obvious that the Valley is looking to do more with football.

Just my two cents.

MadBird

Can we agree that the Missouri Valley Conference and the Missouri Valley FOOTBALL Conference are two separate entities and that membership in one really has nothing to do with membership in the other?? The football conference already has 10 members, with North Dakota on the way next year as #11. Does anyone know if they're looking to expand further and if their "profile" for a new school is the same as it would be for the "multi-sport" MVC?

Top Bottom