Evansville - 02/26/2022 - 2:00 PM - ESPN+

ISU86

The Redbirds complete the regular season at CEFCU Arena as they return to take on the Purple Aces.

UE is in twelfth place in conference at 1-18 (5-25 overall) whereas ISU is tied for ninth place in conference at 5-14 (10-20 overall).

The Aces are led in scoring by Kenny Strawbridge (14.5), rebounding by Yacine Toumi (5.9) and assists by Marvin Coleman (2.8), Coleman (11.0) and Toumi (10.7) also average double-digits; the "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (12.8, 2.4) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.1), Seneca Knight (11.7) and Lewis (10.6) also average in double-digits. The Aces generally go nine and the 'birds go eleven deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Evansville's (346) toughest opponent was Drake (61, loss), their best win was against Northern Iowa (217) and their worst losses were to Illinois-Chicago (279, two); Illinois State's (276) toughest opponent was Drake (61, loss), their best win was against Southern Illinois (116) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (279).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (both teams lost to Ball State in their non-conference); as far as weaknesses, the Redbirds are only trailing in steals and turnovers.

ISU won the first match-up at the Ford Center, 69-61.

Both teams are headed in similar directions, as Evansville is currently on a four-game and Illinois State on a six-game losing streak.

With all of the discussion on the board re: first-year progress, we are meeting up with another program in that same spot re: the Aces. If you compare non-conference schedules, both took a similar approach (the only non-conference program of note that the Aces scheduled was Central Florida) and, at least by record, they are scuffling even more. If there is another win left in this season, Sunday would be the day.

It will also be Senior Day, when (if I am accurate) up to nine players are in a position that they could participate (Alex Kotov, Joe Petrakis, Knight, Colton Sandage, Lewis, Ryan Schmitt, Liam McChesney, Malcolm Miller, Harouna Sissoko); not all will, but it is interesting. Hopefully, the festivities of the day will work to our advantage (much like it did for the Bulldogs on Wednesday evening).

With a win (and a Valparaiso loss at Murray State), ISU would finish in sole position of ninth place and match-up with UNI in St. Louis on Thursday at noon; otherwise, they are locked into tenth place and would face one of Missouri State, MuSU or UNI on Thursday at 6:00 PM.

As long as we are not sloppy with the basketball, we should be in good shape; if not, the door would be open to ruin the postgame activities.

at Reggie 74, Purple 66

Bruiser 72, at TC 71
Grey 68, at Sparky 65
at Sam 72, Boomer 64
at Dunker 73, Beacon 69
at Kaboom! 70, Spike 67

Last edited:

MadBird

Pantagraph article today says Knight, Kotov, Sandage and Sissoko "will be honored" Sunday, Sissoko and Kotov have "a year of eligibility remaining but elected to go through the ceremony".

B

BirdGrad2011

Pantagraph article today says Knight, Kotov, Sandage and Sissoko "will be honored" Sunday, Sissoko and Kotov have "a year of eligibility remaining but elected to go through the ceremony".

Assuming those 2 are done then that leaves us +2 scholarships to fill.

Bird Friend

Congrats to Sissoko. Senior night for guys who have been on campus less than a year. I guess I'm getting old but what a joke.
If they’re graduating from ISU, then we should honor that. No?

ISU86

I think the fact that Lewis is not participating should be a pretty good indicator of where he will play next season.
unfortunately, in this day and age, that is probably more of an indicator of IF then WHERE (hoping you are correct).

Maybe Coach Offutt will be there in-person to shake their hands! :O

redbirds2000

Does anyone remember the dueling tubas at half time? They were ISU great.
If I recall correctly, the tuba players would ride on another band member's shoulders. I also recall this coming to an end when someone tripped and the tuba player crashed face first into the floor. 98? 99? Did I dream this??

Dmills

unfortunately, in this day and age, that is probably more of an indicator of IF then WHERE (hoping you are correct).

Maybe Coach Offutt will be there in-person to shake their hands! :O
My point is, players that have the credits to graduate and then grad transfer seem to oftentimes participate in Senior Day activities (Josiah Strong, Abdou Ndiaye, etc.). Players usually participate in Senior Day when they finish their undergrad if they plan on moving on.

If he does not have the credits to graduate, then I believe he would have to sit out a year if he were to transfer (but could be wrong on that).

RBFANTOO

If I recall correctly, the tuba players would ride on another band member's shoulders. I also recall this coming to an end when someone tripped and the tuba player crashed face first into the floor. 98? 99? Did I dream this??
I vaguely remember they stopped this due to safety concerns. I also remember it was very difficult to get those tuba tunes out of your mind. I can still hear them today. :)

Tpguy

It was against ISU rules is that if I played the tuba, I could not be part of the show 🥵

Tpguy

One thing we can be proud of this year, still
fifth in nation free throw %

gm att made %
1 Villanova 28 383 465 82.37
2 Nevada 28 479 601 79.70
3 Clemson 28 394 496 79.44
4 Tulane 25 434 547 79.34
5 Illinois St. 30 403 508 79.33

Top Bottom