EIU Mid-America Classic

Total Red

Staff member
The EIU Panthers come to town 6:30 Saturday for the next episode of the MID-AMERCA CLASSIC football game. The mere mention of the words MID-AMERCA CLASSIC causes pulses to race, nostrils to flare, jaws to stiffen and protrude, and it stirs the passions of diehard football fans all across the Heartland. Weddings and funerals will be cancelled, hospital waiting rooms will be empty and most importantly, in honor of crazymark, trips to the mall will be postponed until a later date. All eyes will turn to Normal, IL and dozens of devoted fans will make the trek to Hancock Stadium, the Mecca of college football excitement. If you doubt my words, I can only ask, "what part of the word 'CLASSIC' don't you understand?"

This Eastern team is better than the one we faced last year and that game was not decided until late in the 4th quarter (31-24 Redbirds). The Panthers have a QB completing 70% of his passes. As is typical these days he is a transfer, but his path is unusual. He started his career at EIU and then transferred to Colorado St., and then transferred back to EIU. The tailback is a seasoned 230 lb transfer from Syracuse averaging 5.4 yard per carry. Obviously the Panthers have some weapons at their disposal, and we should not expect an easy victory. The Redbirds better be ready and if they doubt my words I can only ask, "what part of the words 'BETTER BE READY' don't you understand?"

Virginia Redbird

Maybe the Redbirds were looking past Valpo. Maybe after playing at Camp Randall against a Big10 team in the previous week's game they just could not get up for a non-scholarship team and did not get the competitive juices flowing. I can see how that could happen but there is no way they should not be up and ready to rumble in this game.

This will be the 110th game and it stands currently ISU 58 wins, EIU 42 wins, and 9 ties (at least according to Wikipedia). The schools have been playing since 1901. For a bit of perspective, Teddy Roosevelt became US President when William McKinley died from an assassin's bullet on September 14, 1901. Teddy Roosevelt was the President the first time these schools buckled up to play! ISU and EIU played for the first time on November 25, 1901! That first game, which Eastern won 28-0 was played on a neutral site. There is a load of history in this game! (No...I was not a history major! :cool: )

EIU is going to be an improved football team. The Redbirds better be ready to play this Saturday. They need to go into the SIU game with some momentum! Go Redbirds! Win this game!

cubird

Alum Mike Shanahan was in Charleston last weekend for a fund raiser. Sure
he got them fired up. First year Coach has them playing hard.

Hamdonger

The EIU Panthers come to town 6:30 Saturday for the next episode of the MID-AMERCA CLASSIC football game. The mere mention of the words MID-AMERCA CLASSIC causes pulses to race, nostrils to flare, jaws to stiffen and protrude, and it stirs the passions of diehard football fans all across the Heartland. Weddings and funerals will be cancelled, hospital waiting rooms will be empty and most importantly, in honor of crazymark, trips to the mall will be postponed until a later date. All eyes will turn to Normal, IL and dozens of devoted fans will make the trek to Hancock Stadium, the Mecca of college football excitement. If you doubt my words, I can only ask, "what part of the word 'CLASSIC' don't you understand?"
(y) Bravo.

redbirdfan04

That spread scares me. I am going EIU 37 ISU 35 I felt great after the Wisco game and after last week I am more than worried.

Redbird28

This will be the 110th game and it stands currently ISU 58 wins, EIU 42 wins, and 9 ties (at least according to Wikipedia). The schools have been playing since 1901. For a bit of perspective, Teddy Roosevelt became US President when William McKinley died from an assassin's bullet on September 14, 1901. Teddy Roosevelt was the President the first time these schools buckled up to play! ISU and EIU played for the first time on November 25, 1901!

In that case, here's hoping our beloved Birds "speak softly, but carry a big stick" into this game and "hit the line hard.”

I golfed with the DB coach for EIU in an outing over the summer, and the first thing I said to him upon meeting him was, "Well, let me go ahead and tell you sorry for the beating you'll be taking in the Mid-America Classic."

Don't make me eat my words, Birds! Go lay some major pain on these Panthers.

Total Red

Staff member
Our offense is still in a holding pattern where we need to throw it better to really open up the run. Sacks are pulling down our rushing average. Right now we're at just 2.9 yards per carry rushing. Good News - Annexstad is completing 65% of his passes. Bad News - 3 INTs vs. 2 TDs passing, but that isn't the stat that concerns me the most. Zack has been sacked 7 times in 46 passing attempts. That's 1 sack for every 6.6 attempts and that's way too high. It needs to be around 1 sack per 15 attempts. Championship teams have been known to be 20 to 1 or better. Great teams do not let you get to their QB, but it's also true that they have QB's with great decision making, a quick release and the ability to maneuver out of trouble. It will take a joint effort from Zack and his protection to light up Eastern.

fourthandshort

Our offense is still in a holding pattern where we need to throw it better to really open up the run. Sacks are pulling down our rushing average. Right now we're at just 2.9 yards per carry rushing. Good News - Annexstad is completing 65% of his passes. Bad News - 3 INTs vs. 2 TDs passing, but that isn't the stat that concerns me the most. Zack has been sacked 7 times in 46 passing attempts. That's 1 sack for every 6.6 attempts and that's way too high. It needs to be around 1 sack per 15 attempts. Championship teams have been known to be 20 to 1 or better. Great teams do not let you get to their QB, but it's also true that they have QB's with great decision making, a quick release and the ability to maneuver out of trouble. It will take a joint effort from Zack and his protection to light up Eastern.
Good post TR.

Is he too patient in the pocket .. meaning too willing to take the hit waiting for the play to unfold ? Or is he not reading the pressure/collapse right ? Or bad line play ?

I didnt see Valpo game. But I thought he made some nice throws against Wisconsin while taking big hits.

MadBird

Yes.

The good news is the Panthers have only sacked the opposition once (while the Redbirds have nine sacks for 78 yds. lost).

Total Red

Staff member
Yes.

The good news is the Panthers have only sacked the opposition once (while the Redbirds have nine sacks for 78 yds. lost).
Agree on the good news. We got the 6 sacks against Valpo (36 passing attempts) which is really good, but the potential was there for more. The Valpo QB passed 36 times and we were in his face or had him on the run at least half that time. It could/should have been as many as 10 sacks or more, but he escaped the rush too often.

Redbird82

Couple mistakes this game. Not sure we are good enough to overcome this stuff

crazzymark

good to see all the season ticket holders not at the game... means when I fly in more seats to pick from

CaliRdBrd

Maybe the Redbirds were looking past Valpo. Maybe after playing at Camp Randall against a Big10 team in the previous week's game they just could not get up for a non-scholarship team and did not get the competitive juices flowing. I can see how that could happen but there is no way they should not be up and ready to rumble in this game.

This will be the 110th game and it stands currently ISU 58 wins, EIU 42 wins, and 9 ties (at least according to Wikipedia). The schools have been playing since 1901. For a bit of perspective, Teddy Roosevelt became US President when William McKinley died from an assassin's bullet on September 14, 1901. Teddy Roosevelt was the President the first time these schools buckled up to play! ISU and EIU played for the first time on November 25, 1901! That first game, which Eastern won 28-0 was played on a neutral site. There is a load of history in this game! (No...I was not a history major! :cool: )

EIU is going to be an improved football team. The Redbirds better be ready to play this Saturday. They need to go into the SIU game with some momentum! Go Redbirds! Win this game!
In other news, Liberty University started playing football in 1973, transitioned to FBS in 2017 and was ranked in the top 25 in 2020, yet here we are…

Top Bottom