Drake/UNI

Dmills

Women's team opens Valley play with a two game home stand this weekend. Both are quality opponents who faced difficult non-conference schedules. Currently leading Drake 49-38 at half behind 70% shooting from 3

Redbird78

Birds looked good except for some 4th qtr passes under pressure. Correctable. These Birds can be very good Birds going forward!

Redbird82

With living in Tennessee, was my first time to see the women in person. They shot the lights out, but also were much more aggressive on offense. I hope they continue this, it’s the way to be successful, their recent struggles had mostly to do with offensive inefficiency.

cubird

When Mary and Paige hit 3s they win. All of their loses have been when the opponent shut them both down.

Loyl2u

After an almost flawless game against Drake with lots of energy, today felt complete opposite. Team looked a step slow from get-go, except Bullman. With a poor shooting day from Robinson & a few others plus lots of unsuccessful drives, what stuck out to me was the lack of offensive rebounding. Unlike Drake, this wasn’t a team that pushed the ball the other way, yet no one went to Boards. While we see less emphasis on this in-general these days, it feels like there are more contestable rebounds and thereby opportunities in women’s game. Lots of jumpers today that were short coming back to shooter side, but nobody following the shot 🤷‍♂️

Got to come to play every night. Looking forward to seeing how the ladies continue to improve, lots of games to play.

Redbird82

It was only one qtr, but the lack of offense bit them today. Scoreless for like 7 to 7 1/2 minutes. UNI scored like 18 in a row that’s the game. Because of lack of scorers they are too dependent on Robinson

Reggie Redbird

Robinson was visibly ill during the game. She was often with the trainer in the tunnel. At a certain point, you don’t want a player to get dehydrated and risk more significant issues.

You are spot on that we are not deep. 3 players are injured, potentially all for the season. It appears they expected Daijah Smith to get significant minutes. A few others just don’t see the court for whatever reason.

Specific to this game, Wright-Gaskins has to be more in control of herself and shot selection is key. She reminds me of Sissoko - super athletic with the talent to be a high-major player but needs to harness it.

Last edited:

normalbird

I think #14 went through 3 boxes of Kleenex. Spot on re Wright-Gaskins and Sissoko. Both very athletic, but need a little more finesse.

Top Bottom