Coach Shortlist

B

BirdGrad2011

Might as well move some of the Fire Dan conversation to who do we want to replace him.

At the top of my list right now:

Roger Powell Jr
Kyle Keller
Rob Jeter

Unrealistic:

Bryce Drew - signed 6 year $16 mil deal and we can’t even spend 1.5 to fire Dan

For the laughs:

Gregg Marshall

Intriguing:

Nick Irvin
Robert Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

jamminjamarsmiley

I don’t think Murray state’s coach would see ISU as a step up, but that guy can coach. McMahon I believe is his name. My biggest fears are the program is so far down in the dumps, we will have trouble attracting much interest from the guys you’d want. Also hurts the MVC is getting weaker by the day.

MadBird

I don’t think Murray state’s coach would see ISU as a step up, but that guy can coach. McMahon I believe is his name. My biggest fears are the program is so far down in the dumps, we will have trouble attracting much interest from the guys you’d want. Also hurts the MVC is getting weaker by the day.
Altho I share your worries about our status and the MVC's status, when you look around it probably isn't all that bleak. Someone mentioned WIU's coach Rob Jeter as a possibility for us. I'd take him over Coach Dan at this point, but my point is, WIU hired him, and I'd say ISU is a better job than WIU. I'm not sure I'd prefer Marty Simmons over Coach Dan, but he's over at EIU, and he's a "legitimate" hire. UIC got Coach Yak. The guy at NIU is pretty decent. So I would say, we'll be attractive enough to get a coach good enough to give us some hope.

Phantom

Might be a stretch in terms of college experience, but Nick Irvin could be interesting, at least as an assistant. Legendary coach at Morgan Park HS, has obvious massive ties to the Chicago area and AAU. Currently an assistant at Western IL (who is off to an 8-2 start) and word is he definitely wants to be a HC someday.

gobirds85

Might be a stretch in terms of college experience, but Nick Irvin could be interesting, at least as an assistant. Legendary coach at Morgan Park HS, has obvious massive ties to the Chicago area and AAU. Currently an assistant at Western IL (who is off to an 8-2 start) and word is he definitely wants to be a HC someday.

That makes two potential candidates at WIU. I'd have to think winning at WIU is a ton harder than winning here. That's a heck of a chore to get anyone to Macomb.

TIMMY

I don't think finding a good coach is a problem. Nick Irvin is a great choice. A veteran assistant would help him but it's all about recruiting.

B

BirdGrad2011

I don't think finding a good coach is a problem. Nick Irvin is a great choice. A veteran assistant would help him but it's all about recruiting.
Kick the tires on Robert Smith too then. Why not? Coached elite talent. Doesn’t get anymore Chicago.

DWRedbird

Some of the candidates I'd like to see:

1. Grant McCasland - North Texas - 2020 C-USA coach of the year, got North Texas to the tourney last year where they beat Purdue in the first round. But, he might see us as a lateral move from C-USA
  2. Dennis Gates - Cleveland State - He has turned Cleveland state around, got in the NCAA last season finishing first in the Horizon, and has learned from some pretty decent coaches.
  3. Bob Richey - Furman - Has made Furman pretty good with a career .715 winning percentage, and has dominated the Southern Conference (not that its that hard).

TBS_20

Kyle Keller at Stephan F Austin. I'm not sure how he hasn't been hired away yet.

DWRedbird

Kyle Keller at Stephan F Austin. I'm not sure how he hasn't been hired away yet.

My guess is it has something to do with the academic violations that the men's basketball team had under his tenure that resulted in vacating all of the wins from his first 3 seasons.

TBS_20

My guess is it has something to do with the academic violations that the men's basketball team had under his tenure that resulted in vacating all of the wins from his first 3 seasons.
I thought that was a college error/oversite not a Kyle issue

DWRedbird

I thought that was a college error/oversite not a Kyle issue

I believe it was a college error but it probably still casts a bad light on him, especially since it removed 3 whole seasons of wins. My guess is he will be in the next round of coaches stepping up. I'd take him at ISU.

Aggie

If you are looking for “names” the coach of Sanford is named Bucky. At least they are 7-2 and have beaten Oregon State

RBFANTOO

Altho I share your worries about our status and the MVC's status, when you look around it probably isn't all that bleak. Someone mentioned WIU's coach Rob Jeter as a possibility for us. I'd take him over Coach Dan at this point, but my point is, WIU hired him, and I'd say ISU is a better job than WIU. I'm not sure I'd prefer Marty Simmons over Coach Dan, but he's over at EIU, and he's a "legitimate" hire. UIC got Coach Yak. The guy at NIU is pretty decent. So I would say, we'll be attractive enough to get a coach good enough to give us some hope.
Let's get YAK.

Localfan

Just a thought not specific names. How about a guy that coached and won everything in sight at the NAIA or other lower levels. Then maybe moved up a rung or two and won consistently also. A middle aged guy who is a coaches coach in that fundamental basketball is at his core. While I'm at it, he should be someone whose interest is not chasing a big paycheck. A true coach who if fulfilling personal ambitions to coach to his best abilities. Considering where this program is it surely could not be a bigger disaster.

Top Bottom