Christian Uphoff invited to Senior Bowl

fourthandshort

wow, this is really cool. I knew the guy was talented, good size, and speed ... but kind of took him for granted. Just great for him, he has been such a force on defense and special teams.

DannyCooksey

Yep. He’s gotten better each year. Traits were always there.

Another great example of our coaching staff and their Abilities to develop players.

fourthandshort

Here's some more info on FCS players in Senior Bowl

Accepted Invites

Full FCS invite list includes .. 8 total so far, 5 from MVFC .. including 2 from UNI. There's 89 total overall, so FCS is just under 10% of the roster to date.
  • ISUr DB Christian Uphoff .. MVFC
  • SDSU WR Cade Johnson .. MVFC
  • NDSU OL Dillon Radunz .. MVFC
  • UNI OL Spencer Brown .. MVFC
  • UNI DL Elerson Smith .. MVFC
  • Grambling St OL David Moore .. SWAC
  • NCC CB Bryan Mills .. MEAC
  • UCA CB Robert Rochell .. Southland
Surprisingly, none from Colonial or Big Sky, the other 2 top FCS conferences.

DannyCooksey

Senior Bowl measurements are out and Christian has been bulking up. He comes in at :

just under 6'3 tall
213 lbs
30 3/4" arms--a little shorter than i thought
75 1/8" wing span
10" hands (big mitts)

Christian is on the National Team coached by the Miami Dolphins coaches. Spencer Brown and Ellerson Smith (Both UNI) are on Christian's team along with Cade Johnson from SDSU and Dillon Radunz from NDSU.

Very nice showing from the Valley and congrats to Christian for representing the Birds.

MadBird

NFL Network is showing Senior Bowl practice now, "recap", looks like its on 7-8 every night this week, for those of you who get it.

MadBird

I notice today the workouts are on ESPNU from 11:30am-1:30pm and 2pm-4pm today and tomorrow and 6:30am-2:30pm on Friday. Seems like Friday might be a recap of the week's practice sessions.

I've seen Uphoff in the drills but have not heard any comments from the commenters.

fourthandshort

Uphoff is definitely built for next level. I'm very curious about his forty and shuttle. He was very good KR his first year, and I've seen him run down some people a few times. Going to guess he is not real quick out of blocks, but otherwise very fast for his size. This could make him valuable special teamer, which will help his chances of getting a shot and sticking.

General commentary ... our secondary in 2019 was probably our best ever, and near the top in FCS. It was a top 50 level FBS secondary IMO: Uphoff, Taylor, Kirk, Woods ... Taylor and Woods were both very good lock down corners, and then Uphoff and Kirk in the middle ... very very strong group .... and due to pandemic, we lost Taylor and Uphoff, plus Kirk had graduated. Lot of big shoes to fill .. but I digress.

Back on topic ...

Add following non FBS to list .. but we're just going to skip over FCS this time, and D-II, and NAIA .. and go to D-III power WI-Whitewater and OL.

Wisconsin-WhitewaterQuinnMeinerzOL

Here is article and bio: Quinn Meinerz, C, UWW - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN

• Position: Offensive Line
  • School: Wisconsin-Whitewater
  • Current Year: Senior
  • Height: 6’3 1/4″
  • Weight: 320 pounds
  • Wingspan: 82″
  • Arm: 33″
  • Hand: 10 1/4″
This seems like a real real long shot. He had one really good year on one of the best D-III programs in history. But he is big and does have some nice long arms, which they love at tackle position.

Redbird222

Illinois State’s Christian Uphoff was named top safety on the National team in a vote from the QB and WR groups at practice player-of-the-week awards ceremony tonight at 2021 Reese’s Senior Bowl. #TheDraftStartsInMobile https://t.co/H9C7QzXSu5

MadBird

Gonna be hard to watch the Senior Bowl, what with basketball and the 24 Hours of Daytona on too, but will focus in on the D on and off to see how Uphoff is doing. Good luck to him!

crazzymark

He looked good...had the penalty on the kick off but a great 4th down stop in the backfield.

MadBird

Crissakes, he practiced in the white jersey all week, and so I'm watching and when the white team goes on offense I switch away, and I never see him, and then I discover just before half-time, for the game he switched to the black team. Did catch him in the second half and saw what crazy saw. Not sure if he did anything good in the first half. Elerson from UNI got lots of "face time" and recognition and played well. Jabril Cox, ex-Bison now from LSU, also played a lot and got lots of recognition.

crazzymark

He had a lot of Face Time he played 75% of the game so the coaching staff like them and made a great fourth down stop, other than the penalty he had alot of helmet time.

DannyCooksey

He had a very good week. Good for him. His coverage skills impressed the coaches and players.

Radunz had a great week as well. Great talent in this league.

Top Bottom