Christian Uphoff Declares

Dmills

Christian Uphoff declared for the draft. Another huge blow to the defense. I wonder how we will choose the replace him. Coach said they weren't looking to go for any transfers, but maybe now there is a chance? I would think it would be a good destination for players that are ready to play.

MadBird

Hate to see it, but if you already got an invite to the all-star game, sounds like there's interest. Of course, JRob also got an invite and didn't get drafted. Not that it didn't work out for him . . .

Total Red

Staff member
Christian Uphoff declared for the draft. Another huge blow to the defense. I wonder how we will choose the replace him. Coach said they weren't looking to go for any transfers, but maybe now there is a chance? I would think it would be a good destination for players that are ready to play.
I don't think a transfer is necessary. Peyton Jones is a possible replacement and there are others. Still, I wanted Uphoff and Isbell as a pair of long, strong and fast hard-hitting safeties. It hurts to lose Uphoff.

Dmills

I don't think a transfer is necessary. Peyton Jones is a possible replacement and there are others. Still, I wanted Uphoff and Isbell as a pair of long, strong and fast hard-hitting safeties. It hurts to lose Uphoff.
Was only wondering because there are a ton of players looking to transfer right now. Very unique times right now, but you are probably right

crazzymark

Fear fear fear cost isu a 2020 national championship...what a shame...but got a img recruit.. Nice

DannyCooksey

Congrats to Christian. This is the right move for him. Huge upside , great athlete. He will test well. The success of Jeremy Chinn helps as well as these guys are both productive HWS guys and Christian adds kick return abilities.

Huge loss for the Birds but you gotta be thrilled for the kid.

Redbird15

Fear fear fear cost isu a 2020 national championship...what a shame...but got a img recruit.. Nice
Not all IMG recruits are even FCS... LOL How many Alumni who played in NFL 17 over the years. Yet they have about 3/4 of the team who get FBS offers. Nothing against the IMG Recruit. I know kids who went to that school who never saw the field but were recruited from practice film. Some would go on to play at next level get some PT some not . I wish recruiters would quit getting stuck on kids with big HS status and stars. Recruit kids who have great work ethic and heart/play making ability. 80,000grand thats 2 years of college tuition. Coastal Carolina small FBS schools has 5 lineman that do not fit the typical line charts 6'1-6'5 and have been dominating this season. Those are the kids who have different mentality of underdog with point to prove.

Total Red

Staff member
Every time we've lost a player on defense I've shrugged it off - "we'll still have an oustanding D." I have to admit that when I reviewed the stats from last season this jumped out at me. These were the Top 8 in tackles on defense last year.

1) Luther Kirk - gone
2) Dylan Draka - gone
3) Ty DeForest - gone
4) Christian Uphoff - gone
5) Devin Taylor - gone
6) Romeo Mcknight - gone
7) Zeke Vandenburgh - RETURNING (Thank you Zeke, Thank you - Zeke was thinking of transferring but didn't.)
8) Tuvone Clark - gone

Losing 7 starters on one side of the ball can be a gamechanger and not for the better. Even so I believe in the 2021 defense. We've got several guys that haven't really been heard from yet that are ready to break out (Wilhoit, Isbell, Reid, Jackson), in addition to a strong core of returnees (Ridgeway, Lewan, Vandenburgh, Woods).

I'm keeping the faith but I wouldn't expect anyone outside of Normal, IL to see it the same way. The 'Birds may not be ranked very high in the preseason polls. Pollsters will see a team that was often one-dimensional on offense (with that dimenson now playing in the NFL) and a defense that has been decimated by depatures. It's time for some young Birds and new Birds to rise up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom