Birds in the Media

DWRedbird

I didn't see this article posted anywhere else, but if it is, please let me know and I'll delete the thread. I also figured I'd leave the title of the thread Generic enough if we wanted to dump other articles and things from the media about the birds in here.

Found an Insider article on NBA Draft Sleepers and we've played a few of the guys in there over the years. But one of the sleepers they listed was MY. Nice write up on him.

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...draft-sleepers-best-underrated-wing-prospects

Exert:
Milik Yarbrough | Illinois State | Junior

Player type: The deep sleeper

Physical profile: 6-foot-6, 210 pounds, 7-foot-2 wingspan

The 6-foot-6 Zion, Illinois, native originally committed to St. Louis, choosing the Billikens over Iowa State, Michigan, Illinois, Kansas State and other high major schools. Yarbrough showed a lot of promise as a freshman, starting 22 games and earning Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors. He regularly clashed with head coach Jim Crews, though, and eventually opted to transfer to Illinois State.

"I just didn't fit the style of play, and it just wasn't working for me. Me and the coach butted heads a lot," Yarbrough said. "We weren't on the same page, and I blame that on myself. Here it's almost the same way, but I listen, I learn, and I've matured so much. I understand what they're trying to tell me now. That's why I developed so much and became the player I am."

Yarbrough's father, Del, played at Illinois State for four years, scoring more than 1,000 points, and was eventually selected in the ninth round of the 1980 NBA draft by the Milwaukee Bucks. While Milik was in the midst of his transfer season last year, Del passed away in his sleep. Yarbrough admitted that he wanted to quit basketball after the loss, but the support of his team and family has been a driving force in his emergence as a prospect. Now wearing his father's old number, 52, Yarbrough is the only player in the NCAA to average at least 25 points, seven assists and seven rebounds per 40 minutes, and he's doing so with a 62.3 true shooting percentage and impressive size.

Impressed with the versatility of Illinois State's Milik Yarbrough. 6-6, 230 and can really handle and pass. Tough. Jumper improving. pic.twitter.com/n3PRECrp5f

- Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) November 19, 2017
Strengths

Comfortable with the ball in his hands. Can operate as a primary facilitator. Changes speeds and directions. Uses both sides of the floor as a passer. Plays an unselfish brand.

Physical driver. Lives at the free throw line (10.8 free throw attempts per 40). Doesn't shy away from contact.

Good instincts on the glass. Attacks the boards aggressively when locked in.

Greatly improved shooter. Flat-footed but 38.5 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the free throw line.

Has the frame and length to be a versatile defender when engaged

Improvement areas

Needs to be more consistent in his approach. Still maturing from a mentality standpoint. Suspended for one game this season. In and out of the rotation earlier in the season.

More long and fluid than explosive. Below-the-rim finisher. Won't be able to rely on drawing fouls nearly as much against better competition. Can he get by athletes? How does he score efficiently in the half court at the NBA level?

Still has to prove himself as a shooter. Inconsistent mechanics. Not all that squared to the basket. Not a threat to pull up off the dribble.

Turnover-prone. Can be a bit wild with the ball (5.9 turnovers per 40 minutes). Won't have as much freedom at the next level.

Defensive effort and intensity can improve.

Outlook

The 22-year-old Yarbrough is trending up coming off back-to-back big games against Murray State (30 points on 19 shots) and Ole Miss (25 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists in 27 minutes). His physical profile and versatility will continue to catch the eye of NBA scouts as the season progresses. With only mid-major programs remaining on Illinois State's schedule, Yarbrough has a great opportunity to surge through the rest of his junior season and cement himself as a legitimate NBA prospect.

Consistency is Yarbrough's swing skill, and teams will want to do their homework on why he has had a tendency to clash with coaches or find himself in and out of the lineup. But from a tools, talent and versatility standpoint, the 22-year-old Yarbrough is a legitimate NBA prospect worth following.

saxman210

Here it's almost the same way, but I listen, I learn, and I've matured so much. I understand what they're trying to tell me now. That's why I developed so much and became the player I am."

Milik is frustrating. I feel like he could be our most talented offensive threat since Osiris. But his head gets in the way and his inability or unwillingness to hustle and play defense consistently just make him an unlikable player to me. He’s like the “Anti-Tony Wills” to me. Tony hustled his butt off but wasn’t a flashy offensive player.

Rollbirds

Great for Milik. He can really take over a game. I would like him to be here for as long as possible though. 2 years please and thank you

bombay

All of the evaluations seemed to include the disclaimer "when engaged". I genuinely hope for Milik that he can find the focus that will take him to yet anothr level. I've been a Nuggets season ticket holder on/off for 25 years and know what pro qualities look like. Milik has the ability.

Redbird28

DWRedbird said:
Good instincts on the glass. Attacks the boards aggressively when locked in.

Greatly improved shooter. Flat-footed but 38.5 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the free throw line.

Has the frame and length to be a versatile defender when engaged

Improvement areas

Needs to be more consistent in his approach. Still maturing from a mentality standpoint. Suspended for one game this season. In and out of the rotation earlier in the season.

Translation: Play with a high motor all the time, both on the defensive end and when rebounding, not just when he feels like it, and he will become a legitimate NBA Sleeper Prospect.

As we all know, that's exactly why he's been in and out of the lineup/Dan's doghouse as the rest of the write up alludes to, but the writer doesn't make the connection and says scouts will need to understand. The writer wrote about it, they just didn't know enough about the situation at ISU between Muller/Milik to understand they already knew the answer to their posed question.

FriscoBird90

With a slightly stronger build and more consistency with his outside shot, handles, and rebounding (each which could come with practice and time), MY would remind me more than a little of SIU's Chris Carr.

V Boy

FriscoBird90 said:
With a slightly stronger build and more consistency with his outside shot, handles, and rebounding (each which could come with practice and time), MY would remind me more than a little of SIU's Chris Carr.

Carr was much more explosive than Yarbrough. Yarbrough better passer, play-maker.

CB2K

Thanks for posting. MY is a special talent. He is smooth in his game and his skill set is above most when he's on the court. It sounds like he's strong-willed and has a tendency to let his emotions get the best of him. He is not a pouter or selfish player in the likes of Zack Lofton and seems to have a better trajectory for emotional maturity than when he started. That is a good sign. He seems to be growing up and learning to handle his emotions much better. We do have to remember he has gone through a lot lately and sometimes a strong father figure such as DM can toughen him up and get him moving in the right direction. He has NBA skills -- just needs to keep developing a right mental attitude. I will say this -- he plays hard when he's out there and has been so much better on defense. He could be a terror on the defensive end if he keeps pressing forward and learning to be the lock down defender that DM knows he is capable of being and would translate into a better well-rounded game that the NBA demands.

Bird Friend

I said to my dad after the UIC game that it seems MY can take over a game, has a ton of talent, but he doesn't play a very energetic game. He's not going to produce highlight jams that get the crowd roaring. He just plays.

Seems to me he's most energetic when he threads a pass through the needle to someone for an easy bucket. He's also a very accurate passer when he's engaged. I actually enjoy watching his assists more than watching him score, 'cuz his passing is so good.

Hamdonger

Bird Friend said:
I said to my dad after the UIC game that it seems MY can take over a game, has a ton of talent, but he doesn't play a very energetic game. He's not going to produce highlight jams that get the crowd roaring. He just plays.

Seems to me he's most energetic when he threads a pass through the needle to someone for an easy bucket. He's also a very accurate passer when he's engaged. I actually enjoy watching his assists more than watching him score, 'cuz his passing is so good.

Can't deny that he's got the basketball chops given Dad and brothers. Love his vision. The really good to great ones see the game a play or two ahead, with or without the ball. He's got that vision to, at times, single-handedly keep us in games.

If he's engaged.

Big tell in those comments: he's admitting that he should have listened more at SLU, and that's what he's doing here. We forget he's still a kid/young adult. But a kid/young adult who's growing and maturing emotionally. Might as well honor his Dad and enjoy the kid while he's here. MY...here's to you, buckaroo. :clap:

Hamdonger

Telling you, Romine and David come back...the game really opens up for MY and the whole team will benefit. Teams will have to sag off Key, and shoot, you might even see The Gas make a bit more contribution. He'll get some wide open 3's.

HT59

MY, I rooted like hell for your dad, those were great times. I sincerely hope you can find your way to helping us make more great memories. I sincerely hope that when you're done here, you look back and feel it was a blast.

HT59

HT59 said:
MY, I rooted like hell for your dad, those were great times. I sincerely hope you can find your way to helping us make more great memories. I sincerely hope that when you're done here, you look back and feel it was a blast.

You have the right man to lead you in that direction. Coach Kevin Stallings once said of your head coach " Dan Muller gets as much out of the college experience as anyone I have ever seen."

cpacmel

https://twitter.com/blainelew3/status/944352097402871808?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eios%7Ctwgr%5Ecom.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Michigan Red

cpacmel said:
https://twitter.com/blainelew3/status/944352097402871808?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eios%7Ctwgr%5Ecom.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Nice article and current. Thanks for posting.

bombay

"UNSIGNED 2018 SF DREW PETERSON MAY BE THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE MIDWEST
Antonio Curro — National Recruiting Editor - NY2LASPORTS.COM

A solid athlete, Peterson sees the floor well but physically he’s far from a finished product with plenty of strength and explosion to be added at the next level making him an exceptionally intriguing talent who could see high caliber success at any collegiate level with continued development and maturity of both his physical tools and his skill package. In the same fashion that Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin/NBA) or even a Taylor Bruninga (Illinois State) flew under the radars of a lot of schools only to prove their worth at the collegiate level, Peterson has a lot of similar characteristics and he looks and feels the part of one of those diamonds in the rough long term big picture wise."

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_o...articleid=4013

Taylor Bruninga draws a complimentary comparison.

RedbirdBall

More on Milik's draft possibilities

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-mid-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum

vbird

RedbirdBall said:
More on Milik's draft possibilities

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-mid-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum

Sure would hurt to lose Malik to the NBA after this season.

Top Bottom